Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Judge pursues ‘RiverWalk’ trademark for profit

God Allows Judge Keith to Show His Character Flaws

Just caught this story, covered without emotion by Crain's Detroit.

I think it unfortunately displays the ghetto underbelly of the Spirit of Detroit...take what you can while you can, until someone brings the law down on ya.

It most certainly shows a distinct lack of character on the part of the esteemed Judge Terrance Keith. His blatant lack of ethics in this matter, and attributing his opportunism to such a misunderstanding of God's providence calls into question every decision he's made on the bench and as an attorney, for all time.

The RiverWalk is a treasure of the city. It is a gross error that nobody within the Conservancy registered the name, one can only hope this runs into a real and honest judge who will see the many years of prior art and rule against this filing.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-03-16 at 11:44 AM.

Think what you will about Judge Keith's actions here [[and I ain't so hot on them myself), but its hard to see what it has to do with any "ghetto underbelly", and "ghetto" may be the wrong epithet to be throwing around here. Terrance Keith's father was a prominent real estate agent [[now long dead) who did a lot of work for the Archdiocese and and was highly active in Catholic social justice causes, and he's the nephew of his mentor, longtime federal judge and current senior judge of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Damon Keith. Not much of a "ghetto underbelly" there.

Unless, of course, you're using "ghetto" as a stand-in for "black", in which case you'd be at least correct as to race, but would also have to deal with the fact that Terrance Keith is hardly the only person, black, white, asian, ghetto, or suburban to "jump" on an obviously unprotected trademark. While you may question the ethics of such an action, it sure isn't illegal to do that, and one could hardly argue that the RiverWalk Conservancy didn't have ample time to legally register and protect their trademark.

Conservancy mistake aside, this isn't some behemoth corporation he is trying to fleece, it is a non-profit. It is pretty disgusting that he is invoking god in a scheme to get money from an organization who is simply trying to better the city. Stay classy.

If you are going to steel from nonprofits and capitalize and fill your own pockets it takes a certain class of thief. One that has no morals. One who puts personal greed above all else. One who should never be trusted with anything serious ever again. A low life useless piece of shit.

The Conservancy can also change the name of RiverWalk to something else. And then patent.

If they lose it - it's their own fault.

Here's an excerpt from the latest story on WXYZ

John Rothchild, an associate law professor at Wayne State University, told Action News the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy can claim it has rights to the name because of prior use, and that it can file in opposition to Keith. He pointed out trademark rights come from use of the mark, not from registration.

Judge Keith told Crain's Detroit Business that he's willing to share some proceeds with the conservancy, but not all, causing some to question whether it's his place at all to profit from a public space he doesn't run.
    "Given what he does for a living and given that it's a public amenity, I would say he's really acting in not only bad taste, but morally questionable. This is a public facility. Why is he profiting off that?" Sean Duranovich asked.
    Keith did not return calls for comment.
    Marc Pasco with the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy declined to comment.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...alk-for-profit

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Here's an excerpt from the latest story on WXYZ

John Rothchild, an associate law professor at Wayne State University, told Action News the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy can claim it has rights to the name because of prior use, and that it can file in opposition to Keith. He pointed out trademark rights come from use of the mark, not from registration.

Judge Keith told Crain's Detroit Business that he's willing to share some proceeds with the conservancy, but not all, causing some to question whether it's his place at all to profit from a public space he doesn't run.
    "Given what he does for a living and given that it's a public amenity, I would say he's really acting in not only bad taste, but morally questionable. This is a public facility. Why is he profiting off that?" Sean Duranovich asked.
    Keith did not return calls for comment.
    Marc Pasco with the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy declined to comment.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...alk-for-profit
    I suppose as long as he doesn't send half-nude photos of himself and his abs to female subordinates he's good.

I expect more from a judge. I would think of this the next time his name comes up on a ballot.

I was just talking to a trademark attorney last week about a private matter and she assured me that first use is the standard; this judge does not likely have a case here. Oh, and he's a jerk.

Is the pay for judges so low? How did he run unopposed in 2012 and 2014?

Are judges basically like teachers? [[i.e. those who can't do - teach).

Those who can't make money in law [[i.e. white toe law firms) become judges?

I'm not an attorney, but even I knew first use is the standard. You think a judge would know better.

Why doesn't he trademark "Detroit River" while he's at it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I was just talking to a trademark attorney last week about a private matter and she assured me that first use is the standard; this judge does not likely have a case here. Oh, and he's a jerk.

Gonna be real funny when this judge gets schooled on the law. The federal judiciary will set this straight, or more likely, this will get settled out of court to prevent embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Jerk. And probably rather stupid. But in the end, he'll win -- as this issue will give him name recognition. I also think many Detroit voters like the idea of taking money from the man -- and this action will be looked at glowingly IMO.

Default Wayne Co. judge gives up personal quest for 'Detroit RiverWalk' trademark

Wayne County Probate Court Judge Terrance Keith has given up his personal quest to trademark "Detroit RiverWalk."

The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy released a statement saying they met with Keith and he expressed "tremendous support for our work and for our stewardship of the Detroit RiverWalk."
    He then relinquished his rights in those trademarks to the Conservancy.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...walk-trademark