Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Eliza Howell Park - Is it open?

Sometime late in the Bing administration, I believe the city blocked off the entrances to Eliza Howell Park since there were no funds to maintain the park and, perhaps, no funds to police it. One of the descendants of the Howell family who had given the land to the city in 1936. I believe they argued that the land was given to the city with the understanding that it be used as a park. Since it was closed by the city, I believe the litigants want some of the park returned to them so that they could develop it. What is the status of this potentially attractive park now?

The entrance off of Schoolcraft/I-96 service drive has been closed off for quite some time now, but the entrance along Fenkell near Telegraph is still open. I've actually seen rugby games played on Saturdays since the initial story about the descendant of the park wanting to take it back because the city wasn't keeping it up. It think if the city opened up a walking path from the Schoolcraft side [[a bridge would need to be built over the Rouge river), an entrance from the east at Eaton or Lyndon [[a bridge would also need to be built to walk/drive over the Rouge river), and an entrance at Eaton and Telegraph, the park would get much more use. An East entrance would go into the heart of the Brightmoor/Eliza Howell neighborhood south of Fenkell and would definitely promote an increase in park use.

Creating additional access might indeed increase usage by local residents. Especially a walking path. But I don't see that happening. If the city didn't have funds to cut the grass, I doubt they have funds to cut the grass and create walking paths. Maybe in a few years, if the infill building continues nearby.
    Until then, I understand the deer are appreciating the privacy.