Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default THE SUN IS SHINING A BIT! Grab Some While You Can!

It's Saturday January 2nd and the SUN is shining a bit here and there thru the gray over-cast of the last five days. Run outside and dance in streets before it goes away......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-16 at 12:04 PM.

You know it's been a pretty gloomy winter when a period of sunshine becomes thread worthy...

Hah! I heard that!! We're in Michigan so you'd think it be no big deal for grays skies and cold but I think we became a bit spoiled with the unseasonably warm weather!

It's after 2 and still sunny. I think I'll go hangout on the stoop and gossip with the neighbors for a spell.

Thanks Zacha

The most blessed thing about moving from Michigan to Las Vegas as I did is the clear skies all winter. A gloomy day is very rare here. Been a chillier than usual fall/winter so far, but when the sun is out, fifty degrees is quite pleasant.

There's a lot of other things I don't miss about Michigan, but I digress..............

Go ahead, take your shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The most blessed thing about moving from Michigan to Las Vegas as I did is the clear skies all winter. A gloomy day is very rare here. Been a chillier than usual fall/winter so far, but when the sun is out, fifty degrees is quite pleasant.

There's a lot of other things I don't miss about Michigan, but I digress..............

I'll have to second that Ray 1936...In Santa Fe, NM we enjoy over 300 days of sunshine every year.....

Down here in Florida just because of the sun, and loving it!

Think positive....by mid-week, we'll have already gained 20 minutes of daylight since the solstice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Think positive....by mid-week, we'll have already gained 20 minutes of daylight since the solstice.
    One thing which folks get confused on is meteorological winter and the seasons defined by the solstices.

Seasons change [[meteorologically) Dec 1, Mar 1, June 1 and Sept 1.

Temps are warmer, and days longer [[obviously) much longer on March 1 than December 1.

From Dec 1 through Dec 20 days are getting shorter and colder. From March 1 through March 20, days are getting longer and warmer.

I'd have to check the meteorological data for Detroit, but in some areas the average temps are starting to rise by Valentine's Day. It is still winter but spring is around the corner...

For those who have never looked at the temperature change in February, one might be surprised that Feb 29 is somewhat warmer than Feb 1 and actually, by Feb 6 the ave. highs and ave. lows are higher than the low points for winter...

Of course, because the ave. high and lows went up one degree no one [[sane, that is) is going to take their coat off and go outside and spend a few hours thinking about spring coming...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/det...onyr=2/01/2016
    Last edited by emu steve; January-03-16 at 07:08 AM.

According to Weather.com, January 24 has the lowest average daily mean temperature of the year [[26°F) in Detroit. So we're almost over the hump!

Southeast Michigan broke a record high temperature for the month of December. The previous record was set in 1881, IIRC.

It was awesome yesterday. The wife and I went to the zoo to check out the goings on. Nice to walk around!

Indeed. My plants loved the rays coming thru the window. It was a nice day to get out as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Love the mountains, love the dry heat but there ain't nothing like Michigan in the Summer, Spring and Fall aren't too bad either. Yeah you freeze about 6 months a year, but that's what they invented Florida condos for. No place I'd rather live then Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    According to Weather.com, January 24 has the lowest average daily mean temperature of the year [[26°F) in Detroit. So we're almost over the hump!

Southeast Michigan broke a record high temperature for the month of December. The previous record was set in 1881, IIRC.
    Indeed, and if one accepts the meteorological definition of winter: Dec 1 - Feb 29, then we are now half way home already.

Very mild winter. And sunny in many parts of the country.

This winter reminds me of the winter four years ago which was also a el Nino winter.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    One thing which folks get confused on is meteorological winter and the seasons defined by the solstices.

Seasons change [[meteorologically) Dec 1, Mar 1, June 1 and Sept 1.

Temps are warmer, and days longer [[obviously) much longer on March 1 than December 1.

From Dec 1 through Dec 20 days are getting shorter and colder. From March 1 through March 20, days are getting longer and warmer.

I'd have to check the meteorological data for Detroit, but in some areas the average temps are starting to rise by Valentine's Day. It is still winter but spring is around the corner...
    Since you felt the need to quote me, when was temperature ever mentioned ? Some of us don't mind the Winter temps, but dislike the lack of daylight. That problem doesn't go away by heading South. When we need a 5th grade science lecture, we'll let you know !