Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default London burger place in Detroit?

BRGR.CO is a chain of fairly stylish burger boites in central London. Would this concept work in Detroit? Some older storefronts here would be easily adaptable but would Detroiters support a couple of these or would they be better received in Royal Oak or Plymouth? Personally I think someplace near the new hockey arena might work, or perhaps around WSU, and the idea of a popular, uncomplicated food treated with more panache than usual would fill a gap between fast food and more ambitious enterprises
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Great, an overpriced hamburger joint! Just what Detroit lacks.

I don't like the name. That would have to change. Location-wise, the college area or downtown would probably be best.

Looking at the Menu http://www.brgrco.co.uk/our-menu/ and multiplying the prices by 1.50 to change it to real money, the Burgers range from $10 to $15 and you can upgrade them for $3 or $8.50 to get the Ultimate Blend. They have side dishes on offer but it doesn't say for how much, or the price of Coffee [[Tea?). Sounds like circa $20 for a Burger, "Chips" and a drink but no tip because it's not America. BUT you can bet the workers all get over $15 per hour. Don't think McDonalds should worry much yet.

Hah! I'm getting hungry... think it's time for me to break out with my favorite cast iron skillet and make a home-made burger or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great, an overpriced hamburger joint! Just what Detroit lacks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-16 at 10:52 AM.

I don't think the prices would be that high in the US. Our food costs are much lower than in the UK, especially London.

Where in the US would anyone pay $3.30 for 11oz of Coke? Nowhere.

But prices aside, I don't think this concept is all that much different from Moo Cluck Moo, Bagger Dave's, Shake Shack, Wahlburgers, etc... Chicago is over run with craft burger bars. While I'm sure Detroit could support a couple more, I think this trend is on its way out.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Where in the US would anyone pay $3.30 for 11oz of Coke?
    That's really a good price, but it depends on the quality and how many times it's been cut........ [[Ooops, never mind, wrong forum....)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-02-16 at 10:56 AM.

I don't think we have a need for a London burger place in Detroit. We already have Green Dot Stables, Mercury, 5 Guys, Wahlburger, and I'm sure I'm missing a few more.

^^^ Yeah, the so-called gourmet burger thing is getting a bit thin. White Castles has a double-cheese burger special going on now......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, the so-called gourmet burger thing is getting a bit thin. White Castles has a double-cheese burger special going on now......
    All those fancy places end up falling but White Castle will always be there haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    All those fancy places end up falling but White Castle will always be there haha.
    Au contraire, The one that used to be on Gratiot near Mt. Elliot, went under a few years back.

Au contraire, The one that used to be on Gratiot near Mt. Elliot, went under a few years back.

Drumroll...cymbals crash!!!

Sadly there are sections of Gratiot too rough for even a WC's! ----

Can anyone say "Top Hats"?

I'm good.....next.

The Telway on Michigan is said to have very good coffee - haven't sampled
    it yet, nor Astro's either [[have been to Chazzano's in Ferndale 'cuz it's on the
    corner where my brother lives) - is Telway's from Becharas? Also they have
    a life sized oxen and cart statue in honor of all of the country's original
    pioneer settlers I suppose.

From Dumpling's memory lane, there was a Top Hat, or similar, out by Keego
    Harbor somewhere during the sixties. On hot summer weekends the family
    would head out Woodward Avenue past the Witches Woods [[a deep woods you
    couldn't see to the far side of, on the west side of Woodward, north of
    Birmingham), past the Golden Castle [[the former Fox and Hounds Inn on
    the east side of Woodward at Long Lake Road) to our favorite swimming
    hole at Keego Harbor. Don't know now which lake it was. Nearby was
    a white burger stand with forgettable burgers but with most excellent
    super very favorite real root beer [[with cancer causing real root beer
    sassafras flavor). Memory lane always has great stuff that isn't there
    no more.

Seems like the American-style burger fad has lasted quite a while in Europe. I can say that the burgers I had in London were pretty good. There were several places near Angel Station that were great, but filled with annoying Euro-hipsters. The burger fad has also caught on in Germany, especially in Frankfurt. However, I can't say that the burgers I had in Germany were good. Hell, I'd say Burger King makes a better burger in Germany than the local joints I visited in Frankfurt and Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ... The burger fad has also caught on in Germany, especially in Frankfurt.
    It would be ironic if hamburgers were more popular in Frankfurt than frankfurters and frankfurters more popular in Hamburg than hamburgers.

Why do I even think of such things?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It would be ironic if hamburgers were more popular in Frankfurt than frankfurters and frankfurters more popular in Hamburg than hamburgers.

Why do I even think of such things?!
    I wonder what the Earl of Sandwich would have to say about all that?