Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The World's 15 most influential art cities of 2015

... and sliding in at #15...

Detroit has been lauded as America’s Berlin for the past several years. And despite the fact that L.A. likely has great claim to that title, the Motor City continues to attract alternative spaces looking to jump the coasts’ hustle [[and steep rents). Most notably, Galapagos Art Space set down in Motown this year after ditching their Brooklyn digs. [[In 2016, they’ll launch Detroit’s first-ever biennial.) Detroit also serves as a stand-in on this list for the many emerging art capitals worldwide, from Mexico City to Mumbai, Bogotá to Beirut, and beyond that are in the midst of explosions of artistic activity and may well break into this list in 2016.

20+ Galleries in 2015
    2+ Art museums and institutions
    0 Art fairs in 2015

http://qz.com/577082/the-15-most-inf...ities-of-2015/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... and sliding in at #15...

Detroit has been lauded as America’s Berlin for the past several years. And despite the fact that L.A. likely has great claim to that title, the Motor City continues to attract alternative spaces looking to jump the coasts’ hustle [[and steep rents). Most notably, Galapagos Art Space set down in Motown this year after ditching their Brooklyn digs. [[In 2016, they’ll launch Detroit’s first-ever biennial.) Detroit also serves as a stand-in on this list for the many emerging art capitals worldwide, from Mexico City to Mumbai, Bogotá to Beirut, and beyond that are in the midst of explosions of artistic activity and may well break into this list in 2016.

20+ Galleries in 2015
    2+ Art museums and institutions
    0 Art fairs in 2015

http://qz.com/577082/the-15-most-inf...ities-of-2015/
    If someone wanted to rank it the 15th most influential in the country I'd think,"yeah maybe" but 15th in the world is pretty laughable and this is in no way a serious list.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    If someone wanted to rank it the 15th most influential in the country I'd think,"yeah maybe" but 15th in the world is pretty laughable and this is in no way a serious list.
    The list changes, hence the question posed on whether Detroit was merely a "stand-in" for other emerging cities.

What stuck out to me is the lack of an Art fair. It's kind of pathetic...

Detroit has always had a very large and vibrant art scene. Unless you have been on the scene you are unlikely to be aware of it as it takes place in countess offbeat and often temporary [sometimes one day] locations. It's been almost a speakeasy environment. Now this has been 'discovered' and its enchantment is getting amplified by our gritty and challenging setting and its allure enhanced by our inexpensive spaces.

This has attracted the like of the above mentioned Robert Elmes of Galapagos, Robert Onnes from New Zealand who has energized 333 Midland in Highland Park, and a year ago created one the other most important shows in Detroit art history. Even Dimitri Hegemann of Tresor fame in Berlin has been sniffing our Fisher 21. Add to that countless other artists coming here check us out, be in exhibitions and often ending up staying. The New York Times has fueled the buzz with its near-weekly 'Detroit-gasm' which has been picked up by other international media.

Just last night I asked Robert Onnes 'why Detroit'. He said he had become intrigued by an article in the Economist.

The stats are wrong too. 100+ galleries is a more likely number and number of museums arguably 5+ depending on where the lines are drawn.

Were having our fifteen minutes and it's great for us. The art scene has doubled in the past 10-15 years.

Very surprised to find that Amsterdam is not mentioned with its world class museums like the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and Stedelijk museum

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    The list changes, hence the question posed on whether Detroit was merely a "stand-in" for other emerging cities.

What stuck out to me is the lack of an Art fair. It's kind of pathetic...
    Can anyone remember why the "Detroit Festival of the Arts" was cancelled by the Cultural Center folks a number of years back? I used to work the Preservation Wayne [[now Preservation Detroit) booth at that fair, and loved the large crowds of people that attended... What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I used to work the Preservation Wayne [[now Preservation Detroit) booth at that fair, and loved the large crowds of people that attended... What happened?
    I'm pretty sure the financial crash killed the corporate sponsorship, and it just never got back on it's feet.

As I noticed on the list, the number of Art Fairs, galleries and Museums, I don't think Quartz properly did their homework. Detroit has always been a leader in so many industries pertaining to art. Most people are probably not aware that many of the Hip Hop clothing fashions/styles began right here in inner-city Detroit and were adopted by other cities world wide. Even until today e.g. [[Detroit vs. Everybody, Shinola and other brands that we made famous because of our loyalty to certain brands).

I would like to see more Art Fairs and bigger Art Fairs in Detroit. A funkier version of the Ann Arbor Art Fair. Michigan is a huge arts state, all the way to the U.P.
    Last edited by illwill; January-10-16 at 01:17 PM.