Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Candy Shop Recommendations

After a number of years in business, I think close to 50, my favorite candy store, J. Strika's closed shop earlier this year. I did an extremely short search for a new one earlier this month, but was left still longing. Is anyone able to recommend a good candy store to me please? I've already been to Truan's [[Dbn Hgts), Corden [[Inkster) and Gayle's [[Royal Oak). There's got to be something else, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    After a number of years in business, I think close to 50, my favorite candy store, J. Strika's closed shop earlier this year. I did an extremely short search for a new one earlier this month, but was left still longing. Is anyone able to recommend a good candy store to me please? I've already been to Truan's [[Dbn Hgts), Corden [[Inkster) and Gayle's [[Royal Oak). There's got to be something else, I hope.
    I'm not sure if it's out of your way, but I really like Rogers Bulk Candy on 9 Mile and Hayes in Eastpointe. Parking is behind the building.

Every type of candy you can think of, they have tons of it.

Kilwin's in Plymouth - www.kilwins.com

Schakolad in Northville - www.schakolad.com

My cut and paste has decided to fail me today, but I hope this will steer you to their sites.

I don't know if you're looking for homemade candy, chocolates or bulk candy, but Doc Sweets in Clawson stocks all sorts of bulk and packaged candy. A huge selectiong. But if you're looking for high-end chocolates, you won't find them there.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    It would help if you define what kind of candy you're looking for, but they have good home made chocolate.

http://www.chocolatebar-cafe.com

Ross Fine Candies, Waterford

http://www.rossfinecandies.com/

Morley/Sander’s Candy shop
    23770 Hall Rd.
    Clinton Twp., MI
    Fudge is delicious

Where is Sydney Boggs when you need him?

There's Sweet Thing and a Sanders practically next to each other in Birmingham, and a Shokolad franchise a bit up Maple, right next to a fancy drug store that carries a small selection of candy I haven't seen anywhere else.

Dumpling never needs to eat there [[but gets a $6 caramel and nut covered jumbo
    apple there every once in a while) but the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
    on "The Hill" in Allen Park is still there.

http://www.yelp.com/list/lets-go-to-the-hill-allen-park

Just before you donate Old Reliable to Mother Waddles, take it down to Eastern
    Market and check out the candy aisles at Rocky Peanut.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rockys-histo...market-detroit

Back in the late seventies or early eighties Dad took the family in the
    Generous Motors Company Car down to Eastern Market - we enjoyed
    shopping there very much, and will all go back some day, but the car
    ALMOST had to be towed as someone had pried the steering column of the
    GMCC into uselessness. [[Dad did get the car started eventually.)
    The Yelp review about the warm peanuts is funny. I enjoyed eating from
    Rocky's small handmade paper cones of warm coated almonds but they
    probably won't have these when you get there.
    Last edited by Dumpling; December-27-15 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Where is Sydney Boggs when you need him?
    On 12 Mile Road in Berkley, that's where!

http://sydneyboggs.com/Information.htm

Back in the day, mine used to be at Lincoln and Coolage spell ? [[pre 1965).

Z's penny candy on Stephens in Eastpointe was always my favorite

Default A 2 scoop Sunday was 30¢!!!!

Here’s a Sanders restaurant menu from 1960. A glazed doughnut was 8¢, a ham sandwich was 40¢, and a 2 scoop Sunday was 30¢!!!!

Name:  Candy-4.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  128.6 KB

There is a great handmade chocolate store in Romeo, Michigan...I know it's a little far from the City, but they have GREAT candy there. I can't remember the name...but it's right on the east side of Van Dyke between 31 and 32 Mile. It is in a little complex of stores that includes The Country Store, a bakery, a consignment store and a craft mall. Makes a great place to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    There is a great handmade chocolate store in Romeo, Michigan...I know it's a little far from the City, but they have GREAT candy there. I can't remember the name...but it's right on the east side of Van Dyke between 31 and 32 Mile. It is in a little complex of stores that includes The Country Store, a bakery, a consignment store and a craft mall. Makes a great place to visit!
    This looks like the place: The Shops at Frontier Town.

Shernni's Chocolates?

Shernni's....that's it! Terrific place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I'm more interested in the store that sells goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm more interested in the store that sells goats.
    2 of them are the fainting goats! I may make it out that way just to look...

Thank you JenniferL, one more reason I need to get out to Berkley. Been wanting to visit the
    Twisted Shamrock ever since they moved from Ferndale, and then there's Ron Coden at O'Mara's.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    2 of them are the fainting goats! I may make it out that way just to look...
    It was a joke but, for real? They sell goats? I've seen videos of the fainting goats.

Try Elan on Mack Avenue near Vernier in GP Woods.

http://www.elancandy.com/
    Last edited by GPCharles; December-29-15 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Try Elan on Mack Avenue near Vernier in GP Woods.
    That has custom toffee my son once bought for me. Truann's on Ford Rd. is good for solid chocolate treats around [[and after is 50% off) the holidays like Easter and Christmas. Kilwin's in Ann arbor is a treat, because they have a better selection of jelly bellies, and my son says there is one in Madison, Wi so they are that big. Westborn Market used to carry peanut butter filled frogs, but now they don't and I'm mad! So I got lots of Russell Stover in my stocking instead.

Does anyone miss Sanders and the chocolates and hot fudge sundaes they had?

One product I'm surprised to occasionally find that it made it's way over here is the Taza brand of Chocolateshttp://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/discs. They are from Somerville, MA [[the first place the American Flag was flown and home to the notoriously bloody Winter Hill Gang-I'm Wiki-bear, yeaah!). For those who don't mind natural made dark chocolate, those discs are something else. Salted Almond and Salt & Pepper are real good, but you can use any of the chili pepper ones for Mole or chili and ones like Cinnamon or Vanilla for Hot Cocoa [[I'm quite sure there are some recipes out there). I sure wish I didn't miss the open-house free tours they had when a group of folks I knew headed over there and came back with samples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast