Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Moore, Nugent & Wilson Sound off about Detroit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090404/...roit_spotlight

I generally like Ted Nugent and enjoy hearing his thoughts on various topics, even if I don't always agree with him. I would love to see these two men in a room on this topic. Much respect to Mary Wilson, but her ideas on what Detroit needs now is [[or seems to me to be) a return to the past, which is never gonna happen. It is never going to be like it was. Even WHEN the US Auto Industry comes back, it is not going to come back like it was and we need to be thinking beyond factory work.

Default Ted Nugent the coward

Ah yes, my favorite coward who failed to eat properly for two weeks prior to his induction when his draft number was called! Yes this is the same Ted who pooped in his pants for a week straight and let it get crusty and dry in order to show the medical examiner that he was crazy! And after everything was over [[Viet Nam) in the early 70's said he had a college deferment [[a total lie to cover his cowardice) And then had sex with underage girls and should have spent the rest of his life in prison!

Thing is he is not a Detroiter, yes his mother might have dropped him out of her uterus here in Detroit but he went to school and was raised in Chicago. Then he came back to Michigan and bought a large piece of land over by Jackson to offer "Canned Hunts" to people with money! He played a lot of concerts in Detroit but that doesn't make him a Detroiter!

And good Ole' Mikey Moore, he's from Flint! Ever hear anybody from Flint say anything nice about Detroit? If he was so great why doesn't he bring his production company down to Flint and give those people jobs! Instead he lives the life of luxury in Traverse City like the rest of those snobs. Mike's in it for himself and doesn't care who he bad mouths and who he has to step over.

But then there is that sweet sound of Nancy Wilson. Did God create a more beautiful and better sounding woman? I think not! I was fortunate to have met her and even stole a kiss from lips I have never felt so soft, so sweet again! If heaven gave us an angel on earth she surely is!

Ok--I am confused. Is it Nancy Wilson or Mary Wilson?

Actually PurpleHeart, Ted Nugent was raised in Detroit. His family moved to Chicago when he was 16. He moved back to Detroit when he was 19.
    The comments are from Mary Wilson [[formerly of the Supremes, not Nancy Wilson.

I generally leave it up to the veterans who served to point out the "chicken hawks" out there. PurpleHeart has done so. I thank you for serving, sir.
    Ted Nugent made some good rock'n'roll music. I still listen to Great White Buffalo and other gems from time to time. He wisely avoided the drug scourge that claimed many of his contemporaries. But his obnoxious tone and chickenhawk mentality really piss me off! People like Mr Nugent, Dick Cheney, and others made career moves as "hawks" despite their record of draft dodging, sending and encouraging other people's children to go off to war. Hell, Mr Cheney dodged the draft no less than five times, and when asked about it years later, replied: "I had other priorities."
    War is terrible. It is not good for anyone. It is sad that it is necessary, in some cases, for self defense. There is no glory in empty words that end up sending others to fight them.
    Ted Nugent should just play his guitar, go hunting, and keep his silly vitriol to himself.

Sorry for the rant, people, but this is a forum and that's how I feel!

Thanks again, PurpleHeart, and other vets....
    Last edited by Bobl; April-04-09 at 04:54 PM. Reason: sp

Lorax Guest

Couldn't agree more with the rest of the posters- Nugent is nothing more than a coward, and a repugnican political hack.

"Tough" guys like him run screaming like little girls when the chips are down.

I will respect him once he hunts a bear with no weapons...

Perhaps Nugent should have been more forthcoming about his political leanings early in his career, instead of hypocritically performing and singing songs implying the benefits of youthful sexual deviancy, drug use, and pre-marital coitus. For some reason I just can't picture him performing songs like "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" "Wango Tango" & "Cat Scratch Fever" in front of a captive RWer audience.

I was never a big fan, and never bought any of his music, but I did attend one of his Whiplash Bash concerts in the late 90s, but it was more so to see his opening act, another "closet"conservative by the name of Alice Cooper.

My oldest brother was drafted during Vietnam. His opinion of ol' Ted & the chickenhawk brigade follows Purpleheart's almost verbatim.
    Nugent is an okay guitarist but I never cared for his music to begin with. Guys like him that HAVE to be on all the time are usually trying to make up for something. Like dodging the draft for instance.
    Looks like a few others share Purple's sentiments as well.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Regardless of what you think of Ted Nugent's political views, why do you spew your hatred out in the open?
    You're a hypocrite, because you hate on those with the opposing view you have, and that is the core of what your disliked about the 60s conservatives. It's an ugly characteristic.
    BTW, while both honorable, there is no comparison between youthful objection to a draft and an all- volunteer army. Draft should only be implemented in the most dire of circumstances.

Yes I always get the two names mixed up

Ted went to grade school and high school in Chicago, while there he formed the Amboy Dukes from a garage band and played his local Chicago bars for quite some time. He didn't move back to Michigan till he got his "Canned Hunt Farm."

He got his nickname "Motorcity Mad Man" after he broke up the Amboy Dukes and started to pursue his own music. Purists say he isn't that great of a guitar player and for his philosophy well it's out there, "women should stay barefoot and pregnant, making cookies."

This is neither a role model [[anti-drug message or not) nor a spokesman for the conservative cause.

[quote] "Journey to the Center of the Mind", which Nugent, an ardent anti-drug campaigner, claims to this day he did not realize was about drug use [end quote]

Default In Nancy Wilson's defense, Woodinville is pretty nice

n Nancy Wilson's defense, Woodinville s pretty nice
    with my favorite[[existing) Brewery Tour, easily;
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/forecasters-...ry-woodinville
    Last edited by FlyingJ; April-05-09 at 12:45 PM. Reason: snafu

Michael Moore is an idiot. I agree what Ted Nugent has to say about him. He should give back his academy award and make a real documentary.

[quote=MrJones;2958]Regardless of what you think of Ted Nugent's political views, why do you spew your hatred out in the open?
    You're a hypocrite, because you hate on those with the opposing view you have, and that is the core of what your disliked about the 60s conservatives.quote]

Wow, talk about missing the point. The point was that, when the chips were down, Ted Nugent did all he could to avoid serving his country and, that sir, has nothing to do with being a 60s conservative unless you want to advocate that being a 60s conservative meant having a yellow streak a yard wide down your back.

As far as spewing hate in the open, I suppose you would rather it be kept inside where it can't offend anyone? For me, I'd rather see it in the open where I know where people are coming from.

Further, as far as hating people with opposing views, I got none of that from the previous posts, what I got was a factual evaluation of the cowardly actions of a man who now, that he no longer has any chance of being put on the front lines, advocates strongly for our young to go fight in war. That, sir, is wrong. It was wrong for Nugent. It was wrong for Chaney. It was wrong for the second Bush <remember the first Bush was a bonifide hero in WWII>. It is wrong for anyone who refused to serve when called to now advocate that other server. Simple. Not hate. Just fact.

Spot on Lloyd!
    Another interesting point where Bush Sr. is concerned is that he was never comfortable being labeled a "hero" & haunted by the loss of his two crewmen. His biggest problem politically was not being a Reagan clone & never a believer in supply-side economics calling it "Voodoo Economics".
    While no fan of Moore, I have utter contempt for people such as Nugent hiding behind the shield of "Patriotism" while they cheerlead for someone else to do the fighting. There's a word for people like that: chickensh*t.

Maybe someone should ask Bob Seger what he thinks of what's going on up there. You'd probably get a more sensible response.

diver1369 Guest

I went to Henry Ford High School with Dave Palmer, original drummer of the Amboy Dukes so I don't know about PurpleHearts claim that Ted Nugent put them together in Chicago.

Purpleheart's facts are a little off. The poop incident is supposedly true, Ted actually braged about it in the 70's. The Amboy Dukes were part of the Detroit/Ann Arbor scene, but they formed in Ann Arbor. Once Ted left the Amboy Dukes he sucked and I never could understand why people liked him. Ted is a lier when he tells people he never did drugs. His first wife had a serious drug problem and I think might of died of a drug overdose but I cant confirm that. I know too many people who partied with Ted and the Amboy Dukes in the late 60's early 70's who said he did drugs. So what, everyone did. I agree with Purpleheart, Ted is a coward. Not because he didn't want to go to Viet Nam but because he hides behind his new found conservtive views and pretends he is all American and if you dont' agree with him you are not an American. Screw him!

As I recall, Ted moved from Redford to Chicago with his family for a short time, then returned. His first band, The Lourds, was actually pretty good, considering his age [[my guess: 15), and played Cobo. Amboy Dukes followed.
    He has a right to his opinions. My beef is his arrogance and tone, and that he has encouraged other people's children to go to war, while he avoided it. War is not glorious, and it is cowardly to encourage others to go while one stands at the sidelines, as Nugent, Cheney, and so many others have.

Quote: "Ted Nugent did all he could to avoid serving his country and, that sir, has nothing to do with being a 60s conservative unless you want to advocate that being a 60s conservative meant having a yellow streak a yard wide down your back."

Monday morning quarterbacking. Having grown up in the period in which you speak and damn near rounded up and shipped off to that hellhole myself, Ted was not the only one evading service at that time. "Hell no, we won't go" being the mantra of the day; it was definitely a different period in time. To call these folks unpatriotic is to misunderstand our system of rights and liberties altogether.

Now back to bashing Ted, just wanted to call that foul.

I dislike Nuge for a number of reasons - his hypocrisy chief among them, marketing himself as a great hunter/outdorsman when he never hunted a thing he didn't bait for months before killing them, etc. but the guy DID give lots of venison to soup kitchens

He's a celebrity, they're all phonies to some degree. Read the Enquirer

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: Monday morning quarterbacking. Having grown up in the period in which you speak and damn near rounded up and shipped off to that hellhole myself, Ted was not the only one evading service at that time. "Hell no, we won't go" being the mantra of the day; it was definitely a different period in time. To call these folks unpatriotic is to misunderstand our system of rights and liberties altogether.

Now back to bashing Ted, just wanted to call that foul.
    So anyone who scooted off to Canada or faked a medical condition in avoiding the draft is fine with you?
    My brother & his friends protested the war; but when his & a few other's numbers were called, they reported. He was fortunate in being sent to the DMZ in Korea, but some people he knew weren't as lucky. The point is, despite being against the war, he showed up when the draft notice arrived. He wasn't the only one who did so & by no means unique. Our dad was a hardcore career military man; he had reservations about why & how the war was being conducted & yet he volunteered for two tours because he felt the country needed him. He was already an E-9, so it wasn't to pad his record for promotion. If he were still alive, I'd bet my paycheck he'd have no problem dressing down the chickenhawk brigade.
    I'd never deny Mr. Nugent[[or anyone else) his right to free speech, however....I find it interesting that such a "Patriot" & believer in the Constitution has no problem calling anyone who disagrees with him every name in the book. So perhaps he has a complete misunderstanding of our systems & rights.

As for Michael Moore, his "documentaries" have their moments[[very few I might add) but I wouldn't trust him to take out the garbage. He is the flipside of the same coin as Nugent: they cannot stand anyone not agreeing with their opinions or views. Moore comes across as too much of a whiner. Not to mention the guy should've gotten into a training program before making Sicko...another case of hypocrisy there.
    Let me know if bashing on Michael is a foul as well.

Still waiting for Bob Seger to weigh in...

I had no idea about his antics to evade serving. Listening/watching his antics now on any given subject I find it easy to believe that sitting cross-legged in park somewhere chanting "hell no we won't go" is not his style......everything he does he does for the shock value and the attention it brings.

There are things I stood behind 20 years ago that I no longer agree with....with age comes reason, or something like that, right? His opinions now are not necessarily disingenuous just because they differ from his opinions 30 years ago.

I do not mean to suggest that his many years have made him a perfectly reasonable man...I put him in the same class as Ann Coulter. Both are fun to watch in a debate situation for a little while [[even tho just talking louder than your opponent does not a real debate make), but both manage to let the vitriol completely overshadow any legitamacy their opinion/message may carry.

I put Michael Moore in the same category.....message gets lost by the antics used to convey said message. He might have more support if he wasn't such a d-bag about how he presents his opinions & arguments.

Oh, and if he developed & presented some real ideas for positive change.

I see a significant difference between Nugent and Moore. Mr. Moore has not made a career move of persuading other people's children to go to war, as Nugent, Cheney and the chickenhawks have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast