Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving to Detroit

Been a member on these forums for a long time without posting a whole lot, but I'm looking for some advice from this community on moving into the city.

I'm a recent Central Mich. University grad and I just accepted a position with a company downtown. I would love to find an apartment close enough to walk, bike, or ride the DPM to work daily. I have looked at a bunch of websites and found rents to be mostly in the $1,000 range.

I guess at this point I'm looking for any advice or recommendations anyone has to give on places to live downtown or close to it. What buildings are good/ bad? Is there anything I should look out for when touring the places? What's parking like?

Thanks in advance!

Things are a little tight right now, but there are a lot of properties coming on line. For instance the great-location Strathmore renovation is set to open this coming year with 40% 'affordable' units.
    http://detroit.curbed.com/places/strathmore-hotel

Keep an eye on the WSU student paper the SouthEnd. The paper always was a great place to find rental ads but looking at the website just now, it seems they do not carry them there. I notice an article there that the Regis Housze [former St. Regis Hotel] apartment conversion is coming on line in January.
    The room types include studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments. All floor plans include at least one private bathroom. Rent starts at $543 per month for a studio apartment, and tops off at $1523 per month for a two bedroom/two-bathroom apartment.
    http://www.thesouthend.wayne.edu/new...93e869f7a.html
    I suggest you cite a price limit, whether or not you need parking, and other factors that could help with the forum's advice.

Past Discussions of Moving to Detroit Here >>

Congratulations for your new job.

Sub-$1000/mo 1br apartments no longer exist within the CBD/DPM boundaries. Don't waste time trying to find one. There might be a stray studio unit to be found for that price or less, e.g., Millender Ctr, Riverfront Apts., Detroit City Apts. If you need a sub-$1000 1br, you will have to look outside the CBD. How far are you willing to walk? Bike?

If you lived in Hamtramck, your commute would be 10 minutes. You'd be communiting from the donut hole of Detroit to the center of Detroit. Check it out on the map. It is within bike riding distance, but a little far to do each day.

The rents are easily under $1,000.
    Last edited by RickBeall; December-23-15 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Congratulations for your new job.

Sub-$1000/mo 1br apartments no longer exist within the CBD/DPM boundaries. Don't waste time trying to find one. There might be a stray studio unit to be found for that price or less, e.g., Millender Ctr, Riverfront Apts., Detroit City Apts. If you need a sub-$1000 1br, you will have to look outside the CBD. How far are you willing to walk? Bike?
    If you are trying to be carless, I would suggest moving out Woodward until you find something you can afford--the Woodward bus works pretty well, and when the weather is acceptable you can ride in on one of the parallel streets. You shouldn't have to go all that far. Or head east; I suspect you can still find a sub-$1000 one-bedroom in Lafayette Park, which is an easy walk to the CBD, and certainly you can if you go further east.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    If you are trying to be carless, I would suggest moving out Woodward until you find something you can afford--the Woodward bus works pretty well, and when the weather is acceptable you can ride in on one of the parallel streets. You shouldn't have to go all that far. Or head east; I suspect you can still find a sub-$1000 one-bedroom in Lafayette Park, which is an easy walk to the CBD, and certainly you can if you go further east.
    All good suggestions. What is the name of the apartments they just rehabbed @ 6 mile & Woodward near Palmer Park? Look @ those. Depending where your job is, the Woodward bus wood be a straight shot back Downtown. There is a lot of affordable housing East of the Chrysler, [[I-375) Expressway. There are bike lanes and people bike in from the Eastside. Once you move up the corporate ladder, you can use Uber or Metro cars to take you back and forth.

Depends on when you are moving. As mention earlier, there are A LOT of apartments coming online early next year so if you can wait you will have your pick of several places.
    Also like earlier stated, the $1,000 mark for the CBD is in the rear view mirror, things have gotten very expensive very fast downtown.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/searc...troit+downtown here's a quick search on apts Downtown for less than a grand. Obviously some of these aren't downtown and some will be bait and switch to get you into something more expensive. Don't listen to the people that say you can't get anything in or near downtown because they are likely in real estate somehow and are trying to create demand. Also, if what they are saying were actually true this town would be screwed because those with a brain aren't going to over pay for a downtown that simply isn't worth the high rents yet.
    Last edited by TTime; December-23-15 at 09:43 PM.

It has been my experience that the most interesting places for rent in Detroit are never listed on the internet.

Find something acceptable that suits your budget and keep an eye open and an ear to the ground.

I suspect your definition of "bikeable distance" will shift when you've spent some time riding in the city. It's less about distance and more about having a good route.

And where ever you live, get some really good lights, keep them charged, and use them. People are getting hit all the damn time lately.

Thanks for the replies so far, really good info! Me and my girlfriend are both moving in and looking to keep the price around the $1000- 1200 mark.

Anyone know anything about the Cadillac Square Apartments? The price for some of those units seems too low for the location. The Fyfe Apartments on Grand Circus look like a pretty good deal as well. The John R building in Brush park as well.

As far as parking goes it looks like most of them include one parking spot, but we may need to keep two cars near us depending on how these jobs shake out. Is getting a secure spot a major expense as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/searc...troit+downtown here's a quick search on apts Downtown for less than a grand. Obviously some of these aren't downtown and some will be bait and switch to get you into something more expensive. Don't listen to the people that say you can't get anything in or near downtown because they are likely in real estate somehow and are trying to create demand. Also, if what they are saying were actually true this town would be screwed because those with a brain aren't going to over pay for a downtown that simply isn't worth the high rents yet.
    Did you actually look at the listings? I just looked [[quickly, I admit) but more or less none of them are in the CBD. The closest I could see are some in Lafayette Park, which is pretty close. There is one 3BR 3BA[[!) condo on the riverfront that is supposedly $1000, but presumably something is wrong with that listing. There's stuff east, west, and north, but I couldn't see anything else in the CBD. Maybe I missed something, but there couldn't be much. It looks like you can easily find a 1BR under $1000 fairly close to the CBD, but it doesn't look like it would be easy actually inside it, which isn't so surprising--there isn't really a large supply, and the units being created by the renovations in places like Capitol Park aren't cheap.

A place that used to be pretty cheap inside the CBD was Trolley Plaza, which became Washington Square and is now Detroit City Village. I guess they have done some upgrades but those 1BRs are now all over $1000, so I can't imagine there is much left in the CBD that rents for less.

That reminds me. You used to be able to park in the Trolley Plaza garage pretty cheaply by the month. I have no idea if you still can, but it might be worth checking. That garage has more capacity than is needed by the apartments, and it is right by the Times Square people mover station.
    Last edited by mwilbert; December-23-15 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Did you actually look at the listings? I just looked [[quickly, I admit) but more or less none of them are in the CBD. The closest I could see are some in Lafayette Park, which is pretty close. There is one 3BR 3BA[[!) condo on the riverfront that is supposedly $1000, but presumably something is wrong with that listing. There's stuff east, west, and north, but I couldn't see anything else in the CBD. Maybe I missed something, but there couldn't be much. It looks like you can easily find a 1BR under $1000 fairly close to the CBD, but it doesn't look like it would be easy actually inside it, which isn't so surprising--there isn't really a large supply, and the units being created by the renovations in places like Capitol Park aren't cheap.

A place that used to be pretty cheap inside the CBD was Trolley Plaza, which became Washington Square and is now Detroit City Village. I guess they have done some upgrades but those 1BRs are now all over $1000, so I can't imagine there is much left in the CBD that rents for less.

That reminds me. You used to be able to park in the Trolley Plaza garage pretty cheaply by the month. I have no idea if you still can, but it might be worth checking. That garage has more capacity than is needed by the apartments, and it is right by the Times Square people mover station.
    Ha yes I looked. New Detroiters and their new neighborhoods are hilarious . Lafayette Park isn't pretty close it's very close. It's a couple blocks from The Ren Cen! I'll go check with Crain's or CoStar to see how they define Detroit's CBD but my guess is that it's pretty damn small no matter who you ask but Downtown on the other hand will mean many different things to different people and it will include most of these silly new neighborhoods. If you read again I said I did a quick search which took less than thirty seconds. If I put a few hours of effort into it, as anyone who is looking for an apartment should, I guarantee there will be much more to add to the list.
    Last edited by TTime; December-24-15 at 08:02 AM.

I've seen a few places in the CBD that seem to rent below $1000 a month. Planning to go look at places after xmas.

I plan not to move in until late January or early February.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far, really good info! Me and my girlfriend are both moving in and looking to keep the price around the $1000- 1200 mark.

Anyone know anything about the Cadillac Square Apartments? The price for some of those units seems too low for the location. The Fyfe Apartments on Grand Circus look like a pretty good deal as well. The John R building in Brush park as well.

As far as parking goes it looks like most of them include one parking spot, but we may need to keep two cars near us depending on how these jobs shake out. Is getting a secure spot a major expense as well?
    I currently live in the Cadillac Square Apartments. PM me if you have any questions!

Just another BS post that most on here falls for. Stop answering this CRAP!

The Downtown Detroit Monitor has for many, many months displayed an advertisement for the Park Avenue House with rents starting at $450/month. I don't know how that building is, but a restaurant manager who has worked at a couple of restaurants downtown lives there and said its fine. The Park Avenue House is on Park Avenue at Montcalm and is on a street with several nice nightlife spots including Centaur and Cliff Bells.

There are random buildings where lofts are available that might be around your threshold. I knew of one in the Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley district.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have found a number of places I like but quite a few don't have their own lots, and the ones that do are pretty pricey. I can't really find much info on monthly lots or garages online. What is the best way to shop parking spaces? I asked a few of the guys sitting in the booths but they didn't seem to know much.

Well after a lot of looking and research we decided on Detroit City Apartments, that's Trolley Plaza or Washington Square to the old schoolers. Really excited to come to the city I've always loved and be a part of the revival!

Well after a lot of looking and research we decided on Detroit City Apartments, that's Trolley Plaza or Washington Square to the old schoolers. Really excited to come to the city I've always loved and be a part of the revival!
    Congrats! Didn't they have a six month+ waiting list like everyone else downtown?

So was it in your $1,000 area ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Congrats! Didn't they have a six month+ waiting list like everyone else downtown?
    There are lots of available apartments downtown, ready for move-in ASAP.

Mind field: There was actually no waiting list at all! The leasing agent I dealt with said they had a list this last summer, but have since been moving people in on pace with others leaving.

Detroitdave: yes I managed to keep the rent in the $1,000 area. Will be on a lower floor [[7th) but the view is right on to Washington Blvd. which I like. Really it's the parking that kills a budget downtown IMO.

Move in is in mid February and I couldn't be more excited!

Winter moving is indeed a real trip! I am wishing the best for you. Purchase some house plants to green up things a bit pre-spring!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-16 at 11:21 AM.

Mind field: There was actually no waiting list at all! The leasing agent I dealt with said they had a list this last summer, but have since been moving people in on pace with others leaving.

Detroitdave: yes I managed to keep the rent in the $1,000 area. Will be on a lower floor [[7th) but the view is right on to Washington Blvd. which I like. Really it's the parking that kills a budget downtown IMO.

Move in is in mid February and I couldn't be more excited!
    7th floor sounds great, do us a favor and post some pics of the view when you move in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast