Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City councilman triples salary of worker who had been DPS double-dipper

Three months ago, FOX 2's M.L. Elrick revealed that taxpayers were paying Carol Banks to do two jobs.
    He also found that Banks sometimes billed the Detroit Public Schools and the city of Detroit for working the same hours as ombudsman for the school district and chief of staff for a Detroit city councilman.
    The investigation cost her one of those jobs, but the city council tripled her salary.Carol Banks had it pretty good for a little while there, making $60,000 a year as Detroit Public Schools ombudswoman and another $20,000 as chief of staff for Detroit City Councilman Scott Benson.
    "She's a very valuable person," Benson said.

And, you would think, a very hard worker. After all, you'd really have to hustle to work more than one job. But there's just one problem when Elrick started watching Banks, he found that she wasn't working very hard at either job.

Elrick: "Just wondering why you don't give the city and the school district what it pays for."
    Carol Banks: "What do you mean; I'm on my way to work now."
    Elrick: "We've been watching you and you charge the city for time and you charge the school district for time - but you don't give anybody a full day's pay."

Banks: "That's not true."

Elrick's investigation prompted the school district and Detroit's inspector general to do their own investigations. With two clouds hanging over her head, you might think Banks was too hot to handle.

Benson saw it differently and tripled Banks' contract. In November, he increased her city deal from $20,000 to $60,000 a year.

That seemed mighty odd, so Elrick called the councilman to discuss it.

When he didn't respond, Elrick sent him a text. After waiting nearly two weeks for Benson to return my messages, it was time to go get some answers.
    Elrick: "Excuse me, councilman Benson."
    Scott Benson: "You can't come on my property. Get off my property."
    Elrick: "We've been trying to catch up with you."
    Benson: "Get off my property."

Elrick: "I'm on your neighbor's property. We've been trying to catch up with you in city hall. Why are you giving Carol Banks a big raise. She's driving without a license, she's under investigation."
    Benson left Elrick standing by the curb.
    Elrick learned how Benson's neighbors feel about Banks' deal, but still had questions that needed answers. He called the Detroit Public Schools and they told me their investigation was done and so was Banks.

"When you brought those allegations to our attention, we took them very seriously," said Michelle Zdrodowski of DPS. "And we began an investigation on Sept. 11 and Ms. Banks was placed on administrative leave. And as a result on Dec. 4 she was released from her employment with DPS."
    Elrick: "So she was fired?"
    "She is terminated from her employment with DPS, correct," Zdrodowski said.
    This was news to Elrick and he couldn't help wondering what the councilman knew.
    Elrick: "Hey councilman, can we get a minute of your time this morning, we need to talk about Carol Banks. She's been fired by the Detroit Public Schools and you're tripled her contract. Can you explain why that's in the best interest of Detroit taxpayers?"
    Benson: "Get off the property, please."
    Elrick: "Would you come and talk to us? If I step on the sidewalk, will you come and talk to me. This is public property. this is a public official and some people would say, in America, public officials answer questions."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...59809238-story

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Three months ago, FOX 2's M.L. Elrick revealed that taxpayers were paying Carol Banks to do two jobs.
    He also found that Banks sometimes billed the Detroit Public Schools and the city of Detroit for working the same hours as ombudsman for the school district and chief of staff for a Detroit city councilman.
    The investigation cost her one of those jobs, but the city council tripled her salary.Carol Banks had it pretty good for a little while there, making $60,000 a year as Detroit Public Schools ombudswoman and another $20,000 as chief of staff for Detroit City Councilman Scott Benson.
    "She's a very valuable person," Benson said.

And, you would think, a very hard worker. After all, you'd really have to hustle to work more than one job. But there's just one problem when Elrick started watching Banks, he found that she wasn't working very hard at either job.

Elrick: "Just wondering why you don't give the city and the school district what it pays for."
    Carol Banks: "What do you mean; I'm on my way to work now."
    Elrick: "We've been watching you and you charge the city for time and you charge the school district for time - but you don't give anybody a full day's pay."

Banks: "That's not true."

Elrick's investigation prompted the school district and Detroit's inspector general to do their own investigations. With two clouds hanging over her head, you might think Banks was too hot to handle.

Benson saw it differently and tripled Banks' contract. In November, he increased her city deal from $20,000 to $60,000 a year.

That seemed mighty odd, so Elrick called the councilman to discuss it.

When he didn't respond, Elrick sent him a text. After waiting nearly two weeks for Benson to return my messages, it was time to go get some answers.
    Elrick: "Excuse me, councilman Benson."
    Scott Benson: "You can't come on my property. Get off my property."
    Elrick: "We've been trying to catch up with you."
    Benson: "Get off my property."

Elrick: "I'm on your neighbor's property. We've been trying to catch up with you in city hall. Why are you giving Carol Banks a big raise. She's driving without a license, she's under investigation."
    Benson left Elrick standing by the curb.
    Elrick learned how Benson's neighbors feel about Banks' deal, but still had questions that needed answers. He called the Detroit Public Schools and they told me their investigation was done and so was Banks.

"When you brought those allegations to our attention, we took them very seriously," said Michelle Zdrodowski of DPS. "And we began an investigation on Sept. 11 and Ms. Banks was placed on administrative leave. And as a result on Dec. 4 she was released from her employment with DPS."
    Elrick: "So she was fired?"
    "She is terminated from her employment with DPS, correct," Zdrodowski said.
    This was news to Elrick and he couldn't help wondering what the councilman knew.
    Elrick: "Hey councilman, can we get a minute of your time this morning, we need to talk about Carol Banks. She's been fired by the Detroit Public Schools and you're tripled her contract. Can you explain why that's in the best interest of Detroit taxpayers?"
    Benson: "Get off the property, please."
    Elrick: "Would you come and talk to us? If I step on the sidewalk, will you come and talk to me. This is public property. this is a public official and some people would say, in America, public officials answer questions."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...59809238-story
    I'm glad to see control of the DPS is being pried from the hands of the evil State and being returned to business as usual. To be fair to Ms. Banks, "M.L." only watched her during daylight hours, she might have been in a totally different position later that evening, under Mr. Benson. I have a question though, do City Council people have the authority to hire, fire, appoint, and adjust salaries of DPS employees? Seems like that is a bit out of the job description of a Councilperson.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-22-15 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "M.L." only watched her during daylight hours, she might have been in a totally different position later that evening, under Mr. Benson.
    Perhaps you're right...

Do I understand correctly that a Detroit City Councillor can arbitrarily triple a staffer's pay?

Good thing, since $20k a year is not a living wage. In fact, under $10 an hour is below the minimum wage in many US cities these days. Mr. Benson should be proud that he's lifting this woman out of poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do I understand correctly that a Detroit City Councillor can arbitrarily triple a staffer's pay?

Good thing, since $20k a year is not a living wage. In fact, under $10 an hour is below the minimum wage in many US cities these days. Mr. Benson should be proud that he's lifting this woman out of poverty.
    does he drive a red jaguar too?

Default DPS terminates ombudswoman after investigation

The Detroit News has picked up the story...

"Detroit Public Schools has terminated its first-ever ombudswoman following an internal investigation into allegations of misconduct"....

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ated/77758302/

"Banks confirmed she now works full-time for Benson. She is paid $33 per hour on a contract that runs through June 30, 2016." That, and the big settlement she'll get for wrongful dismissal, she should do Ok. I'd still like to know what gives Benson the authority to hire, fire, appoint, and adjust salaries of DPS employees?

And the beat goes on....

Just setting the stage for Detroit Bankruptcy II.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Fox 2's video showed a document that the council approved the increase.

lol... it must be nice to know people in high places.. I need a better job...

^^^ Nah! The house of cards of all that mess falls to mightily once it's all revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Nah! The house of cards of all that mess falls to mightily once it's all revealed.
    I'm just saying. I just want a taste. Can a brother get a taste of the good life for once?

On a related note-- it must be nice to get a new job just as soon as you get indicted.. More cards to come, I guess? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/77775066/

I hear that HS. Ain't it funny how some folks seem to 'fall up' as they continue to do wrong!

But it may be short-lived. No company [[for profit or not) is going to withstand bad press if they don't have to. I can't believe this lady tried to run this scam on the heels of previous shakes outs of administrative corruption.

It was only a matter of time before she was caught!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-23-15 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I'm just saying. I just want a taste. Can a brother get a taste of the good life for once?

On a related note-- it must be nice to get a new job just as soon as you get indicted.. More cards to come, I guess? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/77775066/
    This link led to me to an article by Rochelle Riley: http://www.freep.com/story/news/colu...tion/76742980/

"There's a network," she said. "It's so deep."
    Even my cynical self was shocked to read this article. I thought the injection of Charters into our school mix would help eliminate this kind of corruption, but apparently the corruption is 'deep'.

Anyone who thinks the problem with school is lack of funding should re-read this sentence and do the math:

[quote]When Snapp told the Free Press that she had funneled public school funds to nearly 1,000 consultants, local businesses, parents, family and friends, those muffled wails you heard across the city were the sounds of hope dying.[quote]

This was from ONE person indicted. 1,000 times.

Reform is entirely inappropriate. Total and complete dissolution isn't even enough. But this article convinces me that DPS cannot continue to exist. The kids would do better without a public school district in Detroit until on entirely new one can be created from scratch.

That Riley article details a great deal of graft and fraud expressed by Snapp. 1,000 instances of "funneling"! Incredible. That's alot of moving parts, especially seeing as how word of mouth probably got around. I wonder how long her new employer will be willing to carry this baggage?

From the article:

If Kwame Kilpatrick is Detroit's greatest example of a municipal leader who forfeited a brilliant career to be a player, Snapp, may become the poster child for a home-grown educator who squandered her career for money.

Snapp — who was indicted Thursday and recently told the Free Press that she agreed to plead guilty to charges of bribery and tax evasion in exchange for leniency — is at the heart of a federal corruption investigation into the Education Achievement Authority, the state reform district for the lowest-performing schools. The EAA oversees 15 schools in Detroit.

....Former emergency manager Robert Bobb, who was in charge of DPS when Snapp was running her operation, said he began to get phone calls as soon as the indictment was announced.

"I'm totally shocked, quite frankly," he said from Washington, D.C. "I'm shocked over the number of incidents that have happened in Detroit since I’ve been gone, particularly after I cracked down real hard on people."

....What is most shocking, Bobb said, is that anyone would continue to try to scam the district after those indictments.

"That really confirms what I felt early on and what people in the community told me Day One: 'Look out for the friends and family plan,' and the system itself was a pool of corruption."
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-25-15 at 10:06 AM.

I'm glad to see control of the DPS is being pried from the hands of the evil State and being returned to business as usual. To be fair to Ms. Banks, "M.L." only watched her during daylight hours, she might have been in a totally different position later that evening, under Mr. Benson. I have a question though, do City Council people have the authority to hire, fire, appoint, and adjust salaries of DPS employees? Seems like that is a bit out of the job description of a Councilperson.
    The last time I checked, each Detroit city council member has his or her own budget to do what they wish, under council guidelines. With that said, they can hire/appoint, and fire who they want to on their staff. The fact that Ms. Banks worked for DPS is irrelevant. DPS and the City Council of Detroit are two separate entities. I'm not condoning Ms. Banks or councilman Benson's actions. I'm just stating some clarifying facts.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Perhaps you're right...
    Well Played......

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The last time I checked, each Detroit city council member has his or her own budget to do what they wish, under council guidelines. With that said, they can hire/appoint, and fire who they want to on their staff. The fact that Ms. Banks worked for DPS is irrelevant. DPS and the City Council of Detroit are two separate entities. I'm not condoning Ms. Banks or councilman Benson's actions. I'm just stating some clarifying facts.
    Fair enough. That was my understanding also [[the bolded).

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So, Even if Mr. Benson thinks Ms. Banks position is worth $150K a year while she's performing on his staff, he has the authority, provided he also the funding, allotted to him as councilperson, to increase her salary. However he does not have the authority to increase her salary as a DPS [[staff member) Ombudsperson, am I correct? If so, basically he hasn't done anything wrong. He hired and increased the salary of a staff member well within his jurisdiction. "he increased her city deal from $20,000 to $60,000 a year"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-25-15 at 09:24 AM.

So, Even if Mr. Benson thinks Ms. Banks position is worth $150K a year while she's performing on his staff, he has the authority, provided he also the funding, allotted to him as councilperson, to increase her salary. However he does not have the authority to increase her salary as a DPS [[staff member) Ombudsperson, am I correct? If so, basically he hasn't done anything wrong. He hired and increased the salary of a staff member well within his jurisdiction. "he increased her city deal from $20,000 to $60,000 a year"
    The reporter/writer may have screwed up the wording of the article. Benson couldn't increase anything to do with DPS, her salary, or anything else.

Bottom line, he gave a known scam artist a much higher salary than she had the prior year. Yes, "he has the authority, provided he also the funding, allotted to him as councilperson, to increase her salary", but is it responsible use of City funds? Or is it more of the same old B.S. corruption referred to in another post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The reporter/writer may have screwed up the wording of the article. Benson couldn't increase anything to do with DPS, her salary, or anything else.

Bottom line, he gave a known scam artist a much higher salary than she had the prior year. Yes, "he has the authority, provided he also the funding, allotted to him as councilperson, to increase her salary", but is it responsible use of City funds? Or is it more of the same old B.S. corruption referred to in another post.
    No, it definitely is NOT a responsible, or morally correct usage of City taxes. I hope I didn't come across as condoning this kind of crap, which I don't. Too bad we don't have real news media to further investigate why this was done. Is there perhaps a relationship between the two? Is Mr. Benson perhaps getting kickbacks? Is he just that naïve that he thinks his behavior is acceptable and Ms. Banks IS worth all that extra money? That being said, I don't care for "M.L.'s" cutsie style of "reporting", or his stupid pirate earing. If you want to be a journalist, be one. If you want to do stand up, there are plenty of places with open mic nights.

No, it definitely is NOT a responsible, or morally correct usage of City taxes. I hope I didn't come across as condoning this kind of crap, which I don't. Too bad we don't have real news media to further investigate why this was done. Is there perhaps a relationship between the two? Is Mr. Benson perhaps getting kickbacks? Is he just that naïve that he thinks his behavior is acceptable and Ms. Banks IS worth all that extra money? That being said, I don't care for "M.L.'s" cutsie style of "reporting", or his stupid pirate earing. If you want to be a journalist, be one. If you want to do stand up, there are plenty of places with open mic nights.
    Of course there is more to this story, but as you mentioned it wont get the proper follow-up to expose all the "players". It's hard to give people like Benson the benefit of the doubt, I just can't be that naive. Like I'm supposed to believe Benson and his type are "living in a vacuum"?
    This is "friends and family" plan all the way.

As for M.L., he is pretty annoying. Felt the same you did watching that.

Meanwhile, in an entirely unrelated forgotten news item, City of Detroit pensioners get less than they expected in their retirement. I am sure they are quite pleased to know that in post-bankruptcy Detroit there's enough money for 'slush funds'.