Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Curious About Metro Airport issues 12-19-2015

Does anyone know what happened between 6:30 and 7 o'clock last night out at Metro? My future mother-in-law really wants to know.

Traffic was at a dead stop at both terminals, headed to Arrivals...on such a busy night, that is to be expected.

But alarms were going off in the Thug Terminal [[McNamara, for the uninitiated)...and TSA was not letting anyone through, so the lines were dreadful. Nobody was able to drive up to Arrivals, and the cops seemed more insistent about not letting people linger at the curb for too long.

Luckily, my gal got me into a habit of using Departures when necessary...and that saved us a ton of stress and time. Only a handful of folks know this trick, apparently.

Cheers,
    John

My future mother-in-law
    !!!!!! Congrats to you and your sig. other.

Was a bigwig flying in? I've seen the tail end of a VP flying in to Metro, and basically the whole airport gets shut down for 20-30 minutes until he clears out. It's pretty rare, and I don't remember seeing anything on TV.

Maybe it was a drill?

The damned alarm was going off, and the TSA agents questioned said something was happening, but they could not talk about it.

My gal and her mom were on the escalator up to Departures when two airport employees politely but firmly rushed past them, too.

I cannot believe they'd structure a drill on one of the busiest travel days of the year. IF they did, someone needs their ass handed to them on a platter. It was a cluster-feck.

The other terminal had the same issues on the approach, backed up onto the feeder street. No way of knowing if they had alarm issues, too. Both approaches back up on busy days...that I've seen before.

The alarms and TSA-blockage of anyone clearing through were the oddities.

Sometimes you could check news for airport disruptions:

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/de...romulus-mi-us/
    https://www.flightview.com/airport/DTW-Detroit-MI/delay

We use similar services to check our [[Orlando FL) airport...

Apologies, if this is not what you were looking for ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    My future mother-in-law
    So happy to hear this news!!! Wishing the best to you and C!!!