Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hydrant Blues and News

I saw a new thing the other day, driving Vernor towards Gratiot...something which I've never seen in the city.

A bad fire hydrant was being replaced. The crew had to go pretty deep, from a quick glance it appeared that ten feet of pipe came up with it.

Steve Neavling has been doing a bang-up job documenting the troubles with the Fire Department and hydrant system...but has been having trouble analyzing the city's latest report. I love that he's keeping a fire under the administration, although they keep trying to hide behind every Freedom-Of-Information-Act loophole possible...including declaring the report "proprietary", thusly outside of FOIA governance.

What bs...Duggan's Dug-ins are a wily bunch.

I wonder how those folks living on that first block of Iroquois off Jefferson feel about both of their hydrants being tagged as Out-of-Service?! There must be a cool couple million bucks worth of real estate at risk if any of them catch fire.

What does that do to insurance rates?!

Let's see if they can be as fast delivering working hydrants as they were installing those streetlights, or tearing down houses.

And if any of this attention goes to the less photogenic neighborhoods...they do seem to attend to things nearer busy streets more thoroughly. Has anyone compared their efforts to ol' Mayor Bong's ridiculed 'hood condensation plans?! Sure does seem the same vectors are being addressed...

Has anyone seen progress on replacing fire hydrants? I found a Detroit News article from Feb of this year claiming that they are being fixed, but I'd like to hear from someone on the forum who may have some more personal knowledge. Thanks.

They came through my neighborhood [[7 gratiot) a few months ago replacing a lot ofhydrants even the one in front of my house which didn't have any problems.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update, Aerojoe.