Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default North Corktown Houses

Christian Hurttienne Architects,part of the Brush Park redevelopment also has a small project on the boards in Corktown. 3 modern single-family homes. I haven't seen any press on this

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  221.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  151.3 KB

http://www.cha-c.com/current/

Horrible look for that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You prefer all the overgrown vacant lots?

The first one isn't bad, don't like the other two and they don't really seem to relate to each other.

I think they are interesting, and I am not really a fan of faux Victorians.

With appropriately minimal setbacks and thoughtful planning, this could be great. Anything that introduces urbanism where there is currently little or none should be celebrated, and so what if it is seemingly imported from another continent or is an altogether new look? I submit that might be better than copying an old style. While I believe many old styles are superior, I have zero confidence in our contractors and building trades to furnish something of comparable look and quality. Again, if the scale and setback and closeness of the units is truly urban, then you've successfully mirrored the existing intact 1800s neighborhoods in a sense, even if the architecture is different.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Yes, because that is the only other option.

Truly interesting history is the accumulation of changes and decisions over time. The buildings that we currently find quaint in North Corktown would be built as tract homes or doublewides if contemporary solutions were applied to the problems those houses were solving in 1890.

Furthermore, when the neighborhood is 75% vacant land, what does it actually mean for the houses to "fit the neighborhood"?

Finally, since the neighborhood is so vacant, it's been painfully obvious to pretty much everyone in the neighborhood that redevelopment is coming. Since I accept that change is inevitable, I think it's much more interesting to have that change come piecemeal as different developers try different things. That [[which is the current state of things, btw) is much more appealing than one big builder plopping down a lot of monotonous faux-historic boxes on all the vacant lots.

Welcome to the 21st Century, the new age. Where houses will look like out of the Jetsons.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post

Furthermore, when the neighborhood is 75% vacant land, what does it actually mean for the houses to "fit the neighborhood"?
    First time I've ever seen this resource. There goes my Sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I guess my question would be what overgrown vacant lots? Being a frequent visitor to Corktown, I don't see too many overgrown lots. As far as vacant, so what? Some people like a little elbow room around their abode. Not everyone wants to live in an overcrowded, overpriced, minipad dorm room, on top of each other. People pay big bucks to move out to 112 mile road to have vacant land around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I guess my question would be what overgrown vacant lots? Being a frequent visitor to Corktown, I don't see too many overgrown lots.
    Notth Corktown, or Briggs, is quite different than traditional Corktown. North Corktown has lost the majority of structure that were there and I75 cuts it off from Corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I guess my question would be what overgrown vacant lots? Being a frequent visitor to Corktown, I don't see too many overgrown lots. As far as vacant, so what? Some people like a little elbow room around their abode. Not everyone wants to live in an overcrowded, overpriced, minipad dorm room, on top of each other. People pay big bucks to move out to 112 mile road to have vacant land around them.
    Is this a joke? that's what the suburbs are for

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Is this a joke? that's what the suburbs are for
    Sorry, I'll move then.....
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-27-15 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I think they are interesting, and I am not really a fan of faux Victorians.
    Usually, when someone says about something that it is interesting, the seductive factor is absent. I fund this kind of architecture arid and ungenerous. Nobody knows what the interior space and details are like though...

I think the problem is how architects interpret proportions in relation to old and new architecture. Architects don't want to be restricted to the old vocabulary of architecture that dwindled in the postwar period only to be revived in cheap Colonials and faux Victorians. I suppose that the wholesale rejection of all the classical stylebooks comes with a price, not only in the intricate detailing, but especially in the sense of proportions that comes with the use of said vocabulary.

I would send these back to the drawing board to redefine residential and avoid the trappings of prefab backyard shed designs.
    I mean, some.of these designs might be better suited to commercial and industrial spaces IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    First time I've ever seen this resource. There goes my Sunday...
    Me too, OMG amazing....down the rabbit hole...

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Notth Corktown, or Briggs, is quite different than traditional Corktown. North Corktown has lost the majority of structure that were there and I75 cuts it off from Corktown.
    You are right of course, and there are some poorer-type structures, but overgrown lots?

Most of the vacant lots are well kept by the residents in N. Corktown, the only overgrown lot I've noticed is the one on Trumbull near Sycamore and I am not sure who owns that parcel.

As long as we're on the subject, has anyone noticed how much those vacant lots in North Corktown are going for? Here's a 0.24 acre lot [[tiny) on 17th Street [[the most desolate part of the neighborhood) with an asking price of $250,000! Say whaaaat???
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M49745-93748

Ugh some of the foolish real estate reaches out there...those designs look interesting to me.