Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Supreme Court won't hear Bobby Ferguson appeal

High court appeals was Kwame Kilpatrick pal's final shot at freedom

Bobby Ferguson, the imprisoned contractor friend of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, has lost his final shot at freedom as the U.S. Supreme Court today refused to hear his appeal in the historic public corruption case that sent him to prison for 21 years and his mayoral pal for 28 years.The nation's highest court did not give a reason, stating only that it declined to hear Ferguson's appeal, which revolved around claims that federal prosecutors made "errors" during the 6-month trial and failed to prove their case, which involved tales of extortion, bribery and fraud.
    Ferguson's lawyers have long argued that there was no proof that Ferguson ever funneled any money to Kilpatrick, which was a constant theme during the trial, and that prosecutors crossed a line when they asked the jury to "act as a conscience for the community" in delivering a guilty verdict in the case.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...peal/77296154/

Here's a recent item about Supreme Court Justice Scalia in a different case.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/09/politi...ntists-scotus/

I do believe the case against Bobby Ferguson was pretty solid, and I do believe
    contractor money should be kept well away from local politics, which in metro
    Detroit it most certainly is not, but there is some reason to believe that racial bias
    played a role in the refusal on the Supreme Court's part to hear Mr. Ferguson's
    appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Here's a recent item about Supreme Court Justice Scalia in a different case.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/09/politi...ntists-scotus/

I do believe the case against Bobby Ferguson was pretty solid, and I do believe
    contractor money should be kept well away from local politics, which in metro
    Detroit it most certainly is not, but there is some reason to believe that racial bias
    played a role in the refusal on the Supreme Court's part to hear Mr. Ferguson's
    appeal.
    What reason would that be? Do you think the facts don't suggest that he's guilty?

As to Scalia -- I really dislike these attacks on individuals who don't follow the party line. Its unbecoming.

Scalia dared to touch the 3rd rail of racial politics. And the immediate assumption that his comments must be racist of course follows.

Scalia's comment is only an insult if you believe that only the top-tier schools can provide a good education to all. Matching student to school is not racist -- its practical and as Scalia points out, it may be beneficial to the student. That isn't racist. In fact its brave to say what it true.

We have this idea that only Harvard can produce our Leaders. There's some truth to this, but its hardly the only factor. Obsessing on this one point and calling anyone who disagrees 'racist' isn't wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We have this idea that only Harvard can produce our Leaders.

The CIA seems to believe that Harvard produces the best assets and agents...who then end up magically becoming leaders. So, there's that.

I recommend the episode of American Greed titled “Detroit’s Crime Boss Mayor”, season 8, episode 6.

http://www.yidio.com/show/american-g...FQanaQodLmwFXQ

That will close the coffin on the Kilpatrick Crime Family.