Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hamtramck Muslims Rally: Call ISIS “murderers and thugs” “Islam’s biggest Enemy"

For all the TV talking heads whining that American Muslims should do something... They are.

Hamtramck Muslims, allies rally against terror
    "Dozens of Hamtramck Muslims and their supporters held an anti-terrorism rally in front of the city hall there Friday.
    They called ISIS a group of “murderers and thugs” who represent “Islam’s biggest enemy.”
    The terror group has brutalized and killed far more Muslims than anyone else, said rally co-organizer Ibrahim Aljahim.
    Aljahim said it was time for Hamtramck and Detroit Muslims to take a vocal stand against terror, and to make it clear that they consider the ISIS ideology both un-Islamic and un-American."
    Full Article WUOM >>

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    For all the TV talking heads whining that American Muslims should do something... They are.

Hamtramck Muslims, allies rally against terror
    "Dozens of Hamtramck Muslims and their supporters held an anti-terrorism rally in front of the city hall there Friday.
    They called ISIS a group of “murderers and thugs” who represent “Islam’s biggest enemy.”
    The terror group has brutalized and killed far more Muslims than anyone else, said rally co-organizer Ibrahim Aljahim.
    Aljahim said it was time for Hamtramck and Detroit Muslims to take a vocal stand against terror, and to make it clear that they consider the ISIS ideology both un-Islamic and un-American."
    Full Article WUOM >>

Why don't they call it what is?

Wahhabism, an extremely narrow fundamental version of Islam from which Daesh arises. Aljahim is correct.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-13-15 at 02:47 PM.

A hundred people, not all of them Muslim is on the light side I think. Muslim leaders need to show more leadership and get more people on board to dispel doubts about the community.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A hundred people, not all of them Muslim is on the light side I think. Muslim leaders need to show more leadership and get more people on board to dispel doubts about the community.
    Is there a number that will be good enough for you? Or will the goal posts keep moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Is there a number that will be good enough for you? Or will the goal posts keep moving?
    Well the situation calls for a stronger show of solidarity, more decisive measures to ensure that Islam doesn't become the target of Trump's and Marine Le Pen's jingoism. On the other hand, I can't defend a religious edifice that puts women at the back of the bus and the burden of modesty on them exclusively. The Muslim leaders of Western countries may have to do a lot of goalpost moving themselves to acclimate their fold to the long hard battles that minorities, women, gays have fought.

Why do I say a stronger showing?
    Because Hamtramck is a significant city in that it has a council made up of Muslim members, which is a first in the United States. Without turning this into a House Unamerican Activities Committee, you should expect political and religious leaders to gather more people to demonstrate unequivocal empathy with the victims of brutal Islamic fundamentalism. Not just a hundred.
    Last edited by canuck; December-13-15 at 09:08 PM.

Remember the Muslim community came out and rallied against the Underwear bomber as he had his day in Federal court downtown. Probably another 100 people then acted on their own accord [[not much national sentiment against them) and waved American flags downtown.

What seemed strange with this rally was them stomping on the King of Saudi Arabia's face upon a poster. Makes me fear that this rally was mainly one of Shite Muslims and yet another sectarian bent to it.

Remember when the Christian community came out to protest everytime Planned Parenthood or an abortion clinic was targeted? No, I don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Remember when the Christian community came out to protest everytime Planned Parenthood or an abortion clinic was targeted? No, I don't either.
    I suppose many prominent leaders in the Catholic church and in other denominations opposed to abortion are quietly complicit in these attacks. Same with the hush hush of priests abusing children under their care over aeons, etc...

Personally, I don't follow any church precepts. Most religions are guided by human ideals that are as frail as legal systems because they are often archaic, and pretend to be inspired by a supreme ruler. At least Western secular legal systems benefit from independent thought and relative impartiality. Even there, the courts demand that you swear on the bible or other holy book.

If you left the laws of the land be guided by fundamentalism, then your values are skewed toward magic thinking and invite all kinds of abuse. In the USSR and other Communist regimes, whole systems based on personality cults of leaders provided the same "Guiding Hand" ideology to promote the Infernal dictatorships of a few men.

The problem with Islamic societies is that apart from severely unaccommodating gender gaps and other bothers, the idea of progressive thought is often dismissed as dangerous to the powerful because Religious laws can cover the atrocities of kings, caliphates, tribal leaders and let them amass fortunes on the backs of less fortunate.

Also, If Trump had his way, a whole personality cult would follow his Presidential ascension. There is not a hint of diplomacy in what he offers, he speaks only to the cowardly, ungenerous side of people. That is how dictatorships appear.
    Last edited by canuck; December-14-15 at 02:12 AM.

It's a case of, To get along you go along.

This faction of Islam will kill the infidel and it is they, when it comes to their Muslim brethren, decides who is an infidel.

To defy Wahhabi's is to pick a fight.

Read up on Wahhabism, the interactions with other sects of Islam and how oil riches played a part.

The Ottoman Turks nearly wiped them out at one time.

Check out The Siege of the Great Mosque in 1979.

Who is it that I haven't mentioned by name?

I agree, a hundred is start, but there needs to be more outcry. However, it's very hard to show protest against the radicalized Islamists when for example, you have family still living in those areas. Also, silent IMO are too many feminist groups and lobbies here in the US relative to the targeted, brutish justified treatment of women and girls under ISIS/ ISIL/ Boko Haram, etc.

The forced conversions, rapes and mutilations of women and girls goes on daily. These victims have no voice. The rights won in this country by women, and protections provided for children is meaningless under the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or the Levent.

Why do I say a stronger showing?
    Because Hamtramck is a significant city in that it has a council made up of Muslim members, which is a first in the United States. Without turning this into a House Unamerican Activities Committee, you should expect political and religious leaders to gather more people to demonstrate unequivocal empathy with the victims of brutal Islamic fundamentalism. Not just a hundred.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-15 at 06:54 AM.

I'm not Catholic, so I'll let someone who is speak on that. But, I don't see the 'complicit' idea, funding of justifying abortion clinic attacks from the Christian community and news I follow. No. It is well understood by other Christians I come into contact with that the justification of violence such as that is not the message to endorse on any level.

I suppose many prominent leaders in the Catholic church and in other denominations opposed to abortion are quietly complicit in these attacks. Same with the hush hush of priests abusing children under their care over aeons, etc...
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-15 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The double standard is ridiculous.

All of my right-wing friends are of the same mindset. At first they say "no Muslims are speaking against this".

Then I send them links showing them that quite a few are, including many leaders of the Muslim communities around the US and world. Then they make up a new reason why Muslims are bad and cannot be trusted.

No one demanded that Christian leaders apologize for the Planned Parenthood attack, or that Catholics apologize for Adam Lanza, or that Atheists apologize for Ted Kaczynski.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    All of my right-wing friends are of the same mindset. At first they say "no Muslims are speaking against this".

Then I send them links showing them that quite a few are, including many leaders of the Muslim communities around the US and world. Then they make up a new reason why Muslims are bad and cannot be trusted.

No one demanded that Christian leaders apologize for the Planned Parenthood attack, or that Catholics apologize for Adam Lanza, or that Atheists apologize for Ted Kaczynski.
    Fantastic effort. Very glad to see the local community be willing to stand against evil.

Why do Muslim's have a burden that Christian's don't? We are judged by the company we keep. And I do judge right-wing tea-party members by their reactions to evil perpetrated against Planned Parenthood and their by their reactions. I judge the Catholic Church by its poor reaction to its sexual-abuse scandals -- and am encouraged by Pope Francis actions. I don't see a double-standard here. Everybody needs to be better. And examples of those who haven't on the Christian side doesn't relieve Muslim's of the obligation to be a force for good every day and in every way.

btw, I don't think Adam Lanza or Ted Kaczinski shouted "God is Great". Christianity has its problems -- but its pretty much controlled its radicals. Islam has a lot more work to do. And thus a larger burden.

Main point... great to hear this response from a visible minority in a nationally-visible immigrant city.

Good points, I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I don't see a double-standard here. Everybody needs to be better. And examples of those who haven't on the Christian side doesn't relieve Muslim's of the obligation to be a force for good every day and in every way.

Btw, I don't think Adam Lanza or Ted Kaczinski shouted "God is Great". Christianity has its problems -- but its pretty much controlled its radicals. Islam has a lot more work to do. And thus a larger burden....
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-15 at 01:35 PM.

"Good" Muslims, whether by design or not, provide "cover" for ISIS members to hide in clear view. It's far more difficult for ISIS to operate where there aren't any good Muslims because they are far easier to profile. Just calling them "murderers and thugs" doesn't solve the problem. [[PS. thought we weren't supposed to call people "thugs")

the double standard is intellectually bankrupt as it is racist. people have jobs to work and businesses to run just like everyone else. Everybody can't be part of a formal protest or press conference every ___damn day just so idiotic people and casual bigots can theoretically feel better that most muslims are really nice.. for about 5 minutes until the next crazy incident happens.. And then it’s… you know… bomb them back to the caves! In Christ’s name, Amen..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; December-14-15 at 12:19 PM.

Adam Lanza and/or Ted Kazinski didn't do their evil in the name of their religion. Or claimed that their religion demanded it of them. Even the attack at the planned parenthood wasn't linked to radical christianity... there isn't an entire subsection of powerful christians, that have land, power, and money, telling people to go bomb abortion clinics.... but glad a couple dozen in hamtramck were able to put their fear aside and protest....

My family does serve a pork roast dinner to which I am cordially invited shortly
    after a horrific Islam-linked genocide occurs. The first one of these was just
    like a Thanksgiving dinner, but with roast pork instead of turkey. It was served
    about a week after 9/11, and we were of course all thankful to be alive and
    together.

The goal posts will always be the same for me. Anti-Gay, Anti-woman, violent, uncivilized etc.. The worst religion known to man. How anyone who considers themself a democrat can support this crap is beyond me.

That video I saw on T.V. with the London police taking down the knife guy with just a taser and noone killed says a lot, and I also liked the guy filming it telling him he was no Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    The goal posts will always be the same for me. Anti-Gay, Anti-woman, violent, uncivilized etc.. The worst religion known to man. How anyone who considers themself a democrat can support this crap is beyond me.
    What I support is treating people as individuals. The most extreme form of any religion does not represent the whole religion. There are anti-gay and anti-woman Christians and Jews. They do not represent all members of those religions. So why do people assume all Muslims are extremists? They aren't.

What I support is treating people as individuals. The most extreme form of any religion does not represent the whole religion. There are anti-gay and anti-woman Christians and Jews. They do not represent all members of those religions. So why do people assume all Muslims are extremists? They aren't.
    It fits their narrative and it's easier that way. People want everything to be easy, like Star Wars. Good guys wear white, bad guys wear black. Good guy weapons emit blue lasers, bad guy weapons emit red lasers.

They take this mindset and apply it to anyone who is brown\wears different clothes\believes something different. It's easy and convenient to blame all the worlds problems on people who don't agree with your religion. And it's painful for the logical observers who watch these right-wingers, xenophobes, and "Christians" as they heap mountains of blame on anyone different while not applying the same broad-brush to Christians for the crimes of other Christians.

There are anti-gay and anti-woman Christians and Jews. They do not represent all members of those religions.
    Of course, when you're right, Pam, you're right.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/09/new-is...utube-sendvid/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/10/rep...for-being-gay/

I am right in that the people doing those things don't represent all Muslims.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast