Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Mystery Work?

Name:  20160308_144916.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  55.2 KB

Walking by the future Nike store on grand river and Griswold I noticed this on the corner next to The Grind. Anyone know what's going on there?

Smh my apologies for the size ways image

Name:  Mystery Work.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  47.3 KB

speaking of gilbert...workers are installing safety scaffolding at the base of the David Stott building. should make for a busy construction season in that area

They are also in the process of taking down some of the statues on the Book Building for cleaning. Lots of change coming to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    They are also in the process of taking down some of the statues on the Book Building for cleaning. Lots of change coming to downtown.
    That [[and the tower) will be a beauty when it's restored!! However... Southen, I do love your one photo of the Book Tower in b/w detail. It has an almost terrifyingly spooky look to it. Great photo!!

Tearing down a burnt out strip club and a vacant lot for new, ten-story apartment construction. Doesn't get much better than that.

I already know I probably can't afford to live in 'em but that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I already know I probably can't afford to live in 'em but that's okay.
    They're micro units...thus allegedly cheaper, but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That [[and the tower) will be a beauty when it's restored!! However... Southen, I do love your one photo of the Book Tower in b/w detail. It has an almost terrifyingly spooky look to it. Great photo!!
    Thanks Gistok! There is a beauty to the griminess but I am stoked to see it fully cleaned and with exterior lighting at night. The top being lit right now is great, but once they shine some lights on those columns it could be the focal point of the skyline at night. [[assuming the Penobscot continues to look awful)

It's probably going to take longer to get the equipment on site than knock that place down. I'd imagine it's gone in a day.

Thank you Dan Gilbert!

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...art_river_home

the strip club building is getting destroyed tomorrow at 7 AM.. moving right along!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Name:  Mystery Work.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  47.3 KB

Thank you Honky Tonk. New phone

There's a micro-unit building going up in Manhattan. The units average a little over 300 sq. ft. and rents start at $2900/mo. That's low rent. The units are constructed off-site and lifted into position by crane, like the Trolley and Millender apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    There's a micro-unit building going up in Manhattan. The units average a little over 300 sq. ft. and rents start at $2900/mo. That's low rent. The units are constructed off-site and lifted into position by crane, like the Trolley and Millender apartments.
    I've been to NYC, as I'm sure many of you have. I loved it, but why on Earth would anyone pay $3000 a month to live in a shoe box? Yea, it's NYC, blah blah blah, but you could live in a penthouse in Detroit or a decent place in Chicago for that much.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've been to NYC, as I'm sure many of you have. I loved it, but why on Earth would anyone pay $3000 a month to live in a shoe box? Yea, it's NYC, blah blah blah, but you could live in a penthouse in Detroit or a decent place in Chicago for that much.
    The answer is simple. NYC offers way more than Detroit and people recognize that and are willing to pay up. Hell why not ask why people don't choose Toledo over NYC? Even cheaper housing there....see my point?

Just in terms of basics, will the units have bathrooms? toilet, shower, sink? Is there any kind of pantry area? what about cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    The answer is simple. NYC offers way more than Detroit and people recognize that and are willing to pay up. Hell why not ask why people don't choose Toledo over NYC? Even cheaper housing there....see my point?
    I guess I should have clarified my comments, I just figured everyone would have omitted the overly obvious "there's a lot to do there" comment. The point wasn't to compare living in NYC to Wichita, because basically everywhere in this country has cheaper housing than NYC.

I wanted to look at cities with a comparable social/cosmopolitan standing. My point was you can live in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc, at that price point, and get wayyyyyy more bang for your buck, and there's plenty of stuff to do in those cities too. Yes, I understand that there are cheaper options in NYC if you want to live in a trash can for $1200 a month, I'm just going with that price point.

And just so nobody bitches, I'll cite those comments with some legit info.

http://www.zillow.com/blog/what-you-...-month-144201/
    Last edited by mikeg19; March-11-16 at 08:45 AM.

Cool demo time lapse. I hope that water had bleach in it. Wouldn't want downtown covered in whatever came out of that dust plume....

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...art_river_home

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I guess I should have clarified my comments, I just figured everyone would have omitted the overly obvious "there's a lot to do there" comment. The point wasn't to compare living in NYC to Wichita, because basically everywhere in this country has cheaper housing than NYC.

I wanted to look at cities with a comparable social/cosmopolitan standing. My point was you can live in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc, at that price point, and get wayyyyyy more bang for your buck, and there's plenty of stuff to do in those cities too. Yes, I understand that there are cheaper options in NYC if you want to live in a trash can for $1200 a month, I'm just going with that price point.

And just so nobody bitches, I'll cite those comments with some legit info.

http://www.zillow.com/blog/what-you-...-month-144201/
    I didn't simply say there was more to do, I said NYC offers more but yes there is clearly more to do in NYC. At this point in my life there is no way I could live in a small and expensive apt in NYC but at the same time I completely understand why many choose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I didn't simply say there was more to do, I said NYC offers more but yes there is clearly more to do in NYC. At this point in my life there is no way I could live in a small and expensive apt in NYC but at the same time I completely understand why many choose to do so.
    Believe me, I agree with you. 21 year old me would say hell yea lets do it. 30 year old me says piss off with that noise.

What do you mean by "offers more"? Are you referring to substance? Options?

[QUOTE=mikeg19;501437]Believe me, I agree with you. 21 year old me would say hell yea lets do it. 30 year old me says piss off with that noise.

What do you mean by "offers more"? Are you referring to substance? Options?[/QUOTE

I'm referring to opportunity....specifically career opportunities, cultural opportunities and social opportunities.
    Last edited by TTime; March-11-16 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Just in terms of basics, will the units have bathrooms? toilet, shower, sink? Is there any kind of pantry area? what about cooking?
    Each unit will have a Standup Shower, Toilet, Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink, 2 Burner Top, Fridge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast