Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kwame nixed a House of Blues @ FF in 2oo2?

I found this quote in an old story I was reading about the corruption trial:

"In 2002, for example, Kilpatrick killed a plan to add a House of Blues restaurant at Ford Field because the company that proposed it refused to hire Kilpatrick’s father and codefendant as its minority partner. Kilpatrick had pledged $10 million in city funds but changed his mind when the company refused to hire his dad."

/http://archive.freep.com/article/201...rruption-costs/

Maybe this was covered on here years ago?

That's outrageous, but completely within the reality of ya'lls boy and his administration. It's interesting to hear, and I wonder how many other potential projects were killed for the same reason. For the longest time, it felt like Detroit was just a hopeless case because seemingly no one was willing to invest in new development. But now, I can't help but speculate about what could have been possible had it not been for Kwame and his bag men.

Well, where could a house of blues be installed now, in the downtown vicinity?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    United Artists Theatre!

Ficano started a House of Blues but it was never completed.

That's Kwame being Kwame. He was the pimp don and godfather of Detroit. If he wants his family and friends to be hired in somebody's business in Detroit, they to had to do it.

"I will make you an offer you can't refuse." Don Vito Coreleone

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    United Artists Theatre!
    who owns that building, and what might it take to convince them that it's a good investment?

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    United Artists Theatre!
    who owns that building, and what might it take to convince them that it's a good investment?
    That would be great, but it's hard to imagine. The owner is the Ilitch family, and I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to keep additional entertainment venues offline so as to focus business on the ones they already run. I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by bust; December-07-15 at 11:14 PM.

It's probably too small, but what about the National Theatre? Who owns that? I'd love to see that building brought back alive. Maybe they could expand into the surface parking lot next door if they need more space. Detroit has way too many of those!
    Last edited by bust; December-07-15 at 11:14 PM.

He was not asking for much [[KK)...

"...Understand, paisan? ... Tell your friends I don't want a lot. Just enough to wet my beak." Fanucci to Vito Coreleone - Godfather II

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That's Kwame being Kwame. He was the pimp don and godfather of Detroit. If he wants his family and friends to be hired in somebody's business in Detroit, they to had to do it.

"I will make you an offer you can't refuse." Don Vito Coreleone
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-15 at 05:37 AM.

Perhaps he was too distracted by his own friends and family plan and did not get around to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ficano started a House of Blues but it was never completed.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It's probably too small, but what about the National Theatre? Who owns that? I'd love to see that building brought back alive. Maybe they could expand into the surface parking lot next door if they need more space. Detroit has way too many of those!
    The Ilitch owned United Artists Theatre original seating was 2,070... but later reduced to 1,500 when the wide screen was added in the 1950s, making some seats with poor sight lines unusable. However, the Ilitch's have put a new roof on the theatre and office tower, and sealed them both from further decay.

The National Theatre has 800 seats, but the litigation between the city and the owner the city sold it to may still be in progress.

Here is the United Artists theatre and office building footprint and main floor plan, with Bagley Ave. at the bottom of the diagram [[with only the main floor seating count mentioned, but not the mezzanine and balcony).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; December-08-15 at 02:53 AM.

A HoB in the UA would be a fantastic idea. You save the theater and restore it to its original glory, and you could build out the second or third floor for retail and have residences above it.

Then again, they might not even want to do business here after what they went through with Kwame. Who knows.

HOB recently closed their Hollywood location, and I think the chain is not really in growth mode. And they are really focused on tourist traps like Disneyland and Myrtle Beach.

Why are people so eager to get crappy chains like Cheesecake Factory, Hard Rock Cafe, and HOB? Don't get it. Sysco frozen/microwaved food and theme park feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    HOB recently closed their Hollywood location, and I think the chain is not really in growth mode. And they are really focused on tourist traps like Disneyland and Myrtle Beach.

Why are people so eager to get crappy chains like Cheesecake Factory, Hard Rock Cafe, and HOB? Don't get it. Sysco frozen/microwaved food and theme park feel.
    You basically answered your own question: Tourism.

Most people [[unless it's one of your beloved "Hipsters") typically seek out the large national chains when they travel. They know what they are getting there, as opposed to some place on a corner in Manhatten. Granted, app's like Yelp and TripAdvisor are making it easier to navigate the culinary scene in many cities. But the masses, for the most part, are going to choose Applebees & Cheesecake Factory & Buffalo Wild Wings over Cliff Bells and D'Mangos.

To me that is why Detroit was what it was,not that it was a dump that nobody wanted to invest in but more so bad management,investors invest it is what they do,but given a choice in weather to be strong armed or go somewhere else more welcoming the latter looks much better.

Then there was Mr. Bing kinda like a deer caught in the headlights who was overwhelmed and really seemed to prefer not talking to anybody about investing.

As is clear now change the management and the field opens up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Unless mom and pops buy fresh they are also supplied by KOCH and Sysco,it is more so based on how they prepare the food once it comes out of the package.

As much as I hated Kwame, I'm not sure this rumor makes any sense. HoB has no restaurant only locations and AFAIK, never have. Especially in 2002, I can't see that of all places, Detroit would have been anywhere close to being a potential for a new location and a location without the concert hall, at that.

The capacity of the National Theatre, FWIW, is about the same capacity as the New Orleans HOB location. I saw The Damned and Thrill Kill Kult there when I lived in NO in the 90's and both were great - in part due to the size of the venue.

Or US Foods which is expanding quite big in the D, or GFS as well! Diners think it's all made from scratch 100%! Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Unless mom and pops buy fresh they are also supplied by KOCH and Sysco,it is more so based on how they prepare the food once it comes out of the package.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-15 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    That's outrageous, but completely within the reality of ya'lls boy and his administration. It's interesting to hear, and I wonder how many other potential projects were killed for the same reason. For the longest time, it felt like Detroit was just a hopeless case because seemingly no one was willing to invest in new development. But now, I can't help but speculate about what could have been possible had it not been for Kwame and his bag men.

Kwame -

The gift that keeps on giving.