Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default WCSX Deminski and Doyle: "Throw things at bicycle riders"

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...s-off-the-road

Here's the show segment: http://greatermedia.cachefly.net/WCS...ststhrowat.mp3

Heard the lame excuse apology this morning. I wish they would just play music in the morning again.

info@greatermedia.com

Deminski is an idiot.

Angry at everything and everyone, especially women.

Unlistenable.

Then don't listen to them.

wow. what a [[[[[[. i can't wait to go ride by bike on the street on my way to Downtown. I always ride in the street, the safest place. and there is room for everyone. everyone gets to their destination safe. [[and downtown and the central neighborhoods, I can oftentimes beat cars on my bike, if street lights and parking are accounted for). because frankly, i don't obey traffic laws, i look and see if the path is clear and safe for me to bike. traffic laws should be for cars. it isn't an even playing field. bike vs. car has different pros and cons for both. go faster on a car, but obey the laws and pay more money. go slower on a bike, but get to weave through intersections and red lights, and go on paths where cars can't go.

it is funny that they think cars have more of a right to be on the road than bikers. they claim that since they pay taxes on their cars, licesnse plates, gas taxes, registration, etc that they fundementaly have more right than I, a biker, to be on the road.

well the street used to not be like that. there was no division between pedestrian, bike, autos, carriage, street car, whatever. the road was shared by everyone. but slowly automobiles have gained their supremacy... and any hint at that going away at all triggers this sort of response of "throw things at bikers."

they assume that automobile is the defult for the road, and always has been. but this is not true. i think that pedestrians and bikes should be the defult, and cars are allowed in, but only if they do all those things... obey traffic laws, pay registration and license and taxes, etc. and only in places designated for car traffic. we hear talk of "bike lanes" which pisses them off, but never hear anyone talking about new "automobile lanes"... probably because all the lanes are already auto lanes.

if automobile drivers want to blow threw traffic lights like me on my bike, then they should get a bike. maybe they can't bike because they live at 30something mile road.

in Detroit, i can enjoy Rosa Parks Blvd, or any similar road, which has 4 lanes of street for 1 lanes worth of traffic. PLENTY of room for bikes here. even on Woodward there is enough room [[but the road is really bumppy, so thats why I avoid it) maybe not enough room in Rochester or Troy. but in Detroit, there is room for everyone and these angry men should start getting used to bikers... cuz I am seeing more every day! Go bikers!

blksoul_x Guest

I was at a breakfast spot in the city a few weeks ago, and a 12 pack of sub-urban bike people attempted to stop in for a bite. They refused to stay, because the restaurant owner would not allow them to place their expensive bikes inside the restaurant entry way. I have to agree with the satire of the radio host, most of them carry a disposition of 'arrogance', as well as a degree of good ole fashion amerikkkana privilage__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

I'm sorry, but if you want to act like your driving a car, and the sidewalk isn't good enough for you, then you have a responsibility to obey all traffic signals....just like a car. If you don't, then proceed at your own risk, not mine.

Bong, tell the motorists that first ...

Casscorridor said: "if automobile drivers want to blow threw traffic lights like me on my bike, then they should get a bike."

Cass, be sure to carry identification with you so the coroner knows where to ship the body.

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    I was at a breakfast spot in the city a few weeks ago, and a 12 pack of sub-urban bike people attempted to stop in for a bite.
    The goddamn sub-urban bike people making a bad name for the rest of us. Blksoul_x, I will have you know that most Detroit bikers know better than to park their bikes indoors. They also carry really big chains with them.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; August-10-09 at 12:29 PM.

This isn't the first time that shock jocks have ordered their viewers to harass bicyclists.

WMJI, Cleveland OH
    KLOL Houston TX

They can joke about how we bicyclists shouldn't be on the road, but state law says differently. Should anyone decide that it's ok to hurt those who have a legal right to the road, these stations should be held accountable for the deeds of their listeners.

I'm a proud bicyclist and I will continue to support those businesses that respect my patronage. As for these stations that promote the assault on my way of transportation, I feel that they do so because they are so fat and lazy, that walking a block would be the only exercise that they do daily. Remember, that if it wasn't for the bicycle, the automobile we know and love, would not exist today, so take the time to remember that.

diver1369 Guest

I had an incident with a bicyclist downtown a few years ago. I was in my car, turned left on to Bagley going towards Grand Circus Park and stopped for a red traffic light. A building was being taken down on the south side of the street and scaffolding had been put up which created a tunnel that ended at GCP. Two bicyclists, a man and a woman, at first waited on a red traffic signal then proceeded thru the "tunnel" to GCP. After the light changed I proceeded thru the tunnel maintaining a safe distance behind them. When I reached GCP, the bicyclists had stopped on either side of the street and the man told me "Take it easy cowboy". I replied to him that perhaps he should obey the red traffic lights that he had just gone thru. I turned right on to GCP. I had only gone a short distance when I saw the man hurriedly approaching me in my rear view mirror. I broke sharply and he ran into the back bumper of my car. At first, I thought my braking might have been the cause but realized later he ran into me on purpose. I turned the corner and had to stop for a red traffic light. Again, in my rear view mirror I see the bicyclist racing up from behind me. He stopped at the driver side door, gave me the finger and yelled FUCK YOU. He then turned left and took off. His female companion followed quietly behind me. I was kinda shook up by this guy's violent reaction. When I got to my destination, Detroit Film Cooperative? in the Book Building, I talked with someone about it and they replied that some of the bicyclists riding around downtown think they own the streets.

Currently, I go for a daily walk of a couple miles on city sidewalks in Westland. A few times I've been startled by a bicyclist racing past me on the sidewalk from behind. Fortunately, I haven't been hit. I wonder if bicyclists shouldn't reduce their speed when overtaking pedestrians on the sidewalk. I would think that pedestrians have the right of way over bicyclists on the sidewalk.

Default Hate to be the legal council for these yahooos

Conspiracy is a crime separate from the criminal act for which it is developed. For example, one who conspires with another to commit Burglary and in fact commits the burglary can be charged with both conspiracy to commit burglary and burglary.

Conspiracy is an inchoate, or preparatory, crime. It is similar to solicitation in that both crimes are committed by manifesting an intent to engage in a criminal act. It differs from solicitation in that conspiracy requires an agreement between two or more persons, whereas solicitation can be committed by one person alone.

Conspiracy also resembles attempt. However, attempt, like solicitation, can be committed by a single person. On another level, conspiracy requires less than attempt. A conspiracy may exist before a crime is actually attempted, whereas no attempt charge will succeed unless the requisite attempt is made.

The law seeks to punish conspiracy as a substantive crime separate from the intended crime because when two or more persons agree to commit a crime, the potential for criminal activity increases, and as a result, the danger to the public increases. Therefore, the very act of an agreement with criminal intent [[along with an overt act, where required) is considered sufficiently dangerous to warrant charging conspiracy as an offense separate from the intended crime.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    I would think that pedestrians have the right of way over bicyclists on the sidewalk.
    bicyclists shouldn't be on the sidewalk period.

there are some pretty agro drivers and cyclists on both sides of this debate, each with the requisite misguided self-righteousness. bottom line is that cyclists need to act more appropriately [[by acknowledging the rules of the road) if we collectively expect to be taken seriuosly, and driver's need to be better educated and accept that cyclist's have right to use the streets as well.

Perhaps if people actually listened to the segment instead of commenting on the misleading article they would realize that D&D were meerly commenting on a law in some other state that now makes it illegal to throw things at bicyclists. they were suprised it wasn't illegal before made a joke about it and then clearly stated that they don't condone it but asked the question, Don't bicyclists sometimes do things that make you want to throw things at them. I can't say I blame them with people like casscorridor saying flat out that he doesn't follow the rules of the road that he wants to have the same rights as cars on.

casscorridor you are the true [[[[[[ here, if you want the same rights then you must follow the same rules. If I saw you I would gladly throw things at you.

"if you want the same rights then you must follow the same rules"

Really? Then how does that explain why drivers are on the roads? It's a nice double standard until someone calls you on it. The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

It's also worth noting that bicyclists had rights to the road before traffic laws existed. Traffic laws were created to accommodate motor vehicle traffic and reduce the carnage they were causing on public roads. While some make sense for bicyclists [[e.g. ride with traffic), many do not [[e.g. four-way stops.)

D&D are infantile. Their listeners more so.
    I do not listen.

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    I was at a breakfast spot in the city a few weeks ago, and a 12 pack of sub-urban bike people attempted to stop in for a bite.
    You are most likely trying to stir up trouble again with stupid vitriolic comments, but what exactly told you that they were suburban, or did you merely engage in stereotyping? Most of the cyclists I know that ride in the city are actually Detroiters.

That said, as another Detroit bicyclist, I mostly have good things to say about drivers in the city. I think people are usually pretty good about giving me enough space, as they are used to bikes. The only times I have been harassed for riding my bike in the city was by idiots leaving Tigers games and stuff.
    Last edited by choquant; August-10-09 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    "if you want the same rights then you must follow the same rules"

Really? Then how does that explain why drivers are on the roads? It's a nice double standard until someone calls you on it. The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

It's also worth noting that bicyclists had rights to the road before traffic laws existed. Traffic laws were created to accommodate motor vehicle traffic and reduce the carnage they were causing on public roads. While some make sense for bicyclists [[e.g. ride with traffic), many do not [[e.g. four-way stops.)
    au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist. This entitled moron was weaving in between traffic stopped at a light...because he can't wait for the light to change like everyone else. While trying to pass between my car and the car in the lane next to me, he lost control, dragged his pedal the enitre length of my car and snapped off my passenger side mirror. He fell off his bike and slammed into the rear of the car ahead of me, denting the trunk lid and cracking the tail light. Unfortunately he was basically unscathed and rode off down a sidestreet and away from the scene as fast as possible. WE however both called the cops, and had to wait for them to show, in order to get the report to submit to insurance. That was futile as I still had to eat my deductable. So, I have zero sympathy for bikers that decide the rules don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist. This entitled moron was weaving in between traffic stopped at a light...because he can't wait for the light to change like everyone else. While trying to pass between my car and the car in the lane next to me, he lost control, dragged his pedal the enitre length of my car and snapped off my passenger side mirror. He fell off his bike and slammed into the rear of the car ahead of me, denting the trunk lid and cracking the tail light. Unfortunately he was basically unscathed and rode off down a sidestreet and away from the scene as fast as possible. WE however both called the cops, and had to wait for them to show, in order to get the report to submit to insurance. That was futile as I still had to eat my deductable. So, I have zero sympathy for bikers that decide the rules don't apply.
    I am not trying to say that this doesn't suck or that it wasn't the fault of an irresponsible cyclist-- surely you can agree though that motor vehicles cause more damage to bicyclists than the other way around on average? I mean, bikes don't exactly have the potential to kill.

No, choquant. He was clearly the "victim." After all, he said so.

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    I am not trying to say that this doesn't suck or that it wasn't the fault of an irresponsible cyclist-- surely you can agree though that motor vehicles cause more damage to bicyclists than the other way around on average? I mean, bikes don't exactly have the potential to kill.
    On average sure. However the statement made was an unequivocal denial.
    The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

Poor victim, Bailey. He got punched right in the rearview mirror by a bicyclists' face. How horrid!

[Poor victim, Bailey. He got punched right in the rearview mirror by a bicyclists' face. How horrid!
    Uh, no, pretty sure it was his back pack that took out my mirror. In any event, if it hadnt been for him disregarding the rules of the road, it wouldn't have happened. And, at that time in my life the several hundred dollars it took to repair the damage was a significant issue. All because some jack-off couldn't wait for light to change. But, standard fare around this board is to blame the victim...so dnerd's comment is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    I have seen bikers ride on the wrong side of traffic on West Grand Blvd. It seems to go both ways that many people, bicyclists and motorists are ignorant of the laws that govern the bicycle, even the law enforcers themselves here in Detroit and Highland Park are ignorant of the laws stating that the bicycle have the same right to ride on the street as motorists.

It is time that the message be made clear that both bicyclist and motorists are treated equally and action taken to accommodate both parties on their use of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Uh, no, pretty sure it was his back pack that took out my mirror. In any event, if it hadnt been for him disregarding the rules of the road, it wouldn't have happened. And, at that time in my life the several hundred dollars it took to repair the damage was a significant issue. All because some jack-off couldn't wait for light to change. But, standard fare around this board is to blame the victim...so dnerd's comment is to be expected.
    No, it's just because I don't like you. You sound like a jerk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast