Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Taylor Sportsplex Shooting: 7-year-old girl killed

Check this thread for updates.

Child, 7, shot at Taylor Sportsplex dies, police said
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/12/04/child-shot-sports-complex-dies/76791192/

Three shot, one killed at Taylor Sportsplex
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/three-shot-one-killed-at-taylor-sportsplex

1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Taylor Sportsplex
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/12/03/dead-shooting-taylor-sportsplex/76755642/

I've been even more worried about this world after San Bernardino, but now this?

As long we have the second amendment. America will be safer and better. People can bear any weapons and kill their enemies before any negotiations. Isn't it simple.

One more killed by gunfire. A daily occurrence. Meanwhile, across the river in Windsor, perhaps three will be killed, in an entire year. It is so simple.

This is going to sound cynical but if the little girl had learned to shoot, defend herself, she might have saved her life and maybe other people's lives. Let's have 7 year olds learn to handle smaller handguns responsibly and increase safety up a notch.

Also, why did the lunatic buy a gun so easily, why don't they make it harder for crazies to buy guns thereby provoking more paranoia in them so they refrain from knifing people.
    Last edited by canuck; December-04-15 at 08:09 PM.

You all need hobbies. Or jobs. Smh

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    You all need hobbies. Or jobs. Smh
    I tried the shooting range but all that action became redundant pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    This is going to sound cynical but if the little girl had learned to shoot, defend herself, she might have saved her life and maybe other people's lives. Let's have 7 year olds learn to handle smaller handguns responsibly and increase safety up a notch....
    That brought to mind the accidental Shooting of Charles Vacca by a nine-year-old girl.

The televised news report stated that the man who did the shooting [[and himself) lived with the mother and daughter up until the summer, moved out, and wasn't seen since. Many folks who knew him closely, asserted that he seemed perfectly "balanced", but authorities claimed he had recent talked that someone was using mind control on him.

More realistically, I've noticed different "imbalances" endemic to certain regions. With Michigan, we have a sad tendency to get worked up, can't handle seeing everything we've slaved and worked for taken from us, and we just end up spiraling into a horse-blindered psychosis with a hideous tendency to "shoot it all to hell" and take as many folks with us. Such was the case in 1927, with Andrew Kehoe who couldn't handle losing a Township Clerk election, his dying wife, tax issues, and losing his farm to foreclosure. It all built up, and instead of snapping on the spot, he carried out a plan to burn and blow everything up. He ended up taking out a school with 42 souls [[36 of which innocent children) and injuring far many more.

Nowadays, we see far too many incidents in Michigan with folks "Going Postal" [[two incidents in Michigan in the early '90s) over their own jobs, but here, moreso, with Fathers/Husbands and boyfriends who get really torn up at the idea of losing their family, and would rather kill them than watch all they once loved leave them.

Difficult to say with this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That brought to mind the accidental Shooting of Charles Vacca by a nine-year-old girl.
    Yes, it crossed my mind when I wrote it. That shooting range meets shooting gallery of the old amusement parks is an illustration of the sorry state of weapons regulations. The mindset that leads to this is really sad.

Hah! I don't think the citizens of Chicago, Illinois would agree [[strict gun laws included). Don't take take their shoot out numbers from them! They might get mad at us!!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    With Michigan, we have a sad tendency to get worked up, can't handle seeing everything we've slaved and worked for taken from us, and we just end up spiraling into a horse-blindered psychosis with a hideous tendency to "shoot it all to hell" and take as many folks with us....
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-15 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    ... More realistically, I've noticed different "imbalances" endemic to certain regions. With Michigan, we have a sad tendency to get worked up, can't handle seeing everything we've slaved and worked for taken from us, and we just end up spiraling into a horse-blindered psychosis with a hideous tendency to "shoot it all to hell" and take as many folks with us. Such was the case in 1927, with Andrew Kehoe who couldn't handle losing a Township Clerk election, his dying wife, tax issues, and losing his farm to foreclosure. It all built up, and instead of snapping on the spot, he carried out a plan to burn and blow everything up. He ended up taking out a school with 42 souls [[36 of which innocent children) and injuring far many more....
    I don't know that it's especially a Michigan problem but I was thinking along the same lines yesterday.

The inevitable heated debate between pro- and anti-gun control [[whichever side of that fence one is on) is likely to draw our attention away from other important factors leading to violence. I think one such factor is a growing sense of injustice.

I can think of many examples of growing injustice. The recent great recession, for example, surely left many innocent victims feeling that our system is profoundly unfair and is unlikely to ever be reformed.

And what is a shooting spree followed by suicide if not the ultimate veto each individual has at his disposal to wield against injustice?

Maybe it would help if those of us who are still sane started working toward forms of justice more peaceful than that last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I don't know that it's especially a Michigan problem but I was thinking along the same lines yesterday.

The inevitable heated debate between pro- and anti-gun control [[whichever side of that fence one is on) is likely to draw our attention away from other important factors leading to violence. I think one such factor is a growing sense of injustice.....

Maybe it would help if those of us who are still sane started working toward forms of justice more peaceful than that last resort.
    A lot of people have shitty lives and would never pick up a gun. Why do some people think violence is the go to answer for any problem? I have a hard time feeling sorry for these overgrown toddlers having a tantrum when stuff doesn't go their way.
    Last edited by Pam; December-05-15 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    A lot of people have shitty lives and would never pick up a gun....
    Not to defend violence, but....

Those are precisely the injustices we need to rectify. No one should have to live a shitty life all the way up to the point of being pushed to that violent edge.

Acquiescence is not the solution.

What we need to do is reverse the trend of accepting humans preying on humans, especially by quasi-legal means.

It's ubiquitous legalized predation that causes these problems. Predation has become rampant and is too seldom protested.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that our growing acceptance of intra-species predation is the root cause of these problems. The firearm issue, as bad as it is, is one relatively minor part of that greater problem.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-06-15 at 12:01 AM.

Those are precisely the injustices we need to rectify. No one should have to live a shitty life all the way up to the point of being pushed to that violent edge.
    Society can't rectify all perceived injustices, especially those on a personal level like the break up of a relationship. I was trying to say that all people go through bad times. Why do some respond with violence and some don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Society can't rectify all perceived injustices, especially those on a personal level like the break up of a relationship. I was trying to say that all people go through bad times. Why do some respond with violence and some don't?
    No one has a built in gauge warning them that they are about to snap.Society pressures people to make children then "get off their butts and advance themselves".
    When people "fall through the cracks",our society has the perfect answer: "you didn't get off your butt and advance yourself".