Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Employee placement service in Detroit?

I am an employer.

Some 10 years ago there was a terrific employee placement service in Detroit,.. paid for by the City, but privately run. I hired a number of great people through them.

Then under Kwame it was taken in-house,.. and it was useless. The agents there just kept trying to get me to hire their personal friends that had just gotten out of prison [[for a desk-clerk job, where they would be handling customer's personal information, keysand mail, as well as a lot of the companies cash).

A few years ago it was privatized again,.. in the form of a non-profit called "Detroit Employment Solutions".

But it is nearly as useless as it was when the City ran it. No call backs in more than 2 weeks.

Is there another such service where you can find workers?

Good luck I also own a business and most of the people that want to work do an honest days work while working with any kinds of skills are already working.
    I deal with a 160 shops and almost everyone of them is having problems getting help. In the last few months we one hired a guy at 28 dollars an hour and another one at 35 an hour and the company's they work for offered them more to stay.

I'm sorry for the happily/ unfortunate predictimant you had at the time, but where were you back in 2005, when I had 3000 hours of post military training.
    And had to fight for a job.
    Probably the great time bragging about your employees losses at the bar with your
    fellow crap owners.
    Lucky to have $ 10 /hr no tips and .0005 tolerance.

Bigb23 back in 2005 I was working for someone else working 12 hour days. I worked 60+ hours a week for 20 years saved my money then in 2013 I took a gamble invested every penny I had to start business a gamble that if I lost I would of lost everything I spent 20 years saving. Now that I own a business I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning and usually get home around 8 at night I dot have the time or energy to go to a bar and I haven't taken a day off for myself since I opened my shop I'm not rich when my employees work overtime they make more then I do I live in a bungalow and my personal vehicle is also used as a work truck all day and I still have a chance of losing everything I have if my shop doesn't make it.

Yes, there is. Contact shuna@cityconnectdetroit.org.

Last edited by 1953; December-04-15 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I'm sorry for the happily/ unfortunate predictimant you had at the time, but where were you back in 2005, when I had 3000 hours of post military training.
    And had to fight for a job.
    Probably the great time bragging about your employees losses at the bar with your
    fellow crap owners.
    Lucky to have $ 10 /hr no tips and .0005 tolerance.

As a business owner, I don't get to drink. When I bought this business 13 years ago I had to stop. Haven't had a single beer since [[other than N/A ones)

I never know when there's going to be an emergency, and I'm going to have to jump in a car and speed all the way to work. Can't really be a business owner and drink,.. at least not if it's a business that's open 24/7.

I feel your pain though. 2004 to the middle of 2006 were good years. I work 45-50 hours a week,.. and by 2011 and 2012 I was actually loosing about $40,000 a year. No dividends,.. and not able to cash my manager salary checks. On top of that I had to gut my savings to the tune of $40k a year to keep the place going. Give up my company lease car and buy a rusty Jeep with 200,000 miles on it, sell my vintage stereo gear etc. Not fun when you have a baby and your wife stops working.

In the end it was worth it. I was able to keep most of my employees,... and now that things are much better. I can actually invest in improvements. It's been a tough road.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Yes, there is. Contact shuna@cityconnectdetroit.org.

Thanks for the referal.

Do you have another method of contact?

I sent an email Friday and haven't yet heard back.

Thanks in advance,..

http://www.cityconnectdetroit.org/about-us/staff

That's the link for all the staff. Shuna's direct line is 313-967-5694

Personally - I'd call David or Nikita from that list as they are the "Program Directors". Shuna is in charge of youth and families - probably not your target demographic.

I know some very hard-working veterans looking for work. If you interested please let me know the type of work you are looking for an email address they can forward a resume.

Sorry, but I couldn't find a better place to plug this 23-minute video from 2 years ago:

How The American Dream Went Wrong In Detroit

I haven't seen this here before. Times are better. It's such a relief. Let's hope we never again have to relive that fall.