Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Restoration Hardware not opening in 1217 Woodward after all

However, the company is still looking around in and around downtown in other properties along the Woodward corridor, sources said. No more specific intel is available just yet.
    One source said the issue complicating the deal was that RH would have to be spread across as many as five floors in the 36,000-square-foot building.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...er-all-sources

Well that's too bad. Hopefully they can find a space that suits them.

Screw them. I knew it's going to happen. Those owners from some fancy schmancy hardware store is going to have a hard time find a non-Giberttown Detroit building. Dan Gilbert runs the show and calling all the shots. Go hit 8 Mile Rd. if you can't contribute to Detroit's renaissance.

Jeez Danny, I think they just want an open space concept for their store which I can blame them but...

Does it matter that much that it's spread over 4-5 floors. Remember the old days when stores were like that? Aren't there elevators in that building? Maybe put the larger products on the first and/or second floor so to minimize moving heavier products.

I would love to see those store fronts, that aren't lofts, filled to the brim with retail.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Jeez Danny, I think they just want an open space concept for their store which I can blame them but...

Does it matter that much that it's spread over 4-5 floors. Remember the old days when stores were like that? Aren't there elevators in that building? Maybe put the larger products on the first and/or second floor so to minimize moving heavier products.

I would love to see those store fronts, that aren't lofts, filled to the brim with retail.
    Lots of furniture stores in the mall are 2-3 levels and it's not bad. But that's partially because they have one of everything and the tag that states, "this couch comes in this many lengths and this many colors."

4-5 floors might be a bit much, especially for an outlet store where most of the merchandise is single items that need to on the floor.

Maybe the store could open in the fotmer Ye Olde Butcher. Shop location. I figured that a monkey wrench would be thrown un the plans . Art Van will probably open in that spot

Restoration Hardware is a National chain and National Chain anything have a hard time setting up shop in Detroit

Methinks the "source" was Glibert's cronies, trying to boost interest in his holdings by making up rumors. First it was a Restoration Hardware [[even though they usually only have one store per market, and the existing store was very successful) then it was an outlet store [[even though all RH outlet stores are in outlet centers), now it's they apparently can't find anything in Detroit that isn't vacant and not 4 or 5 floors. Yeah, apparently the city is plum out of vacant space...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Screw them. I knew it's going to happen. Those owners from some fancy schmancy hardware store is going to have a hard time find a non-Giberttown Detroit building. Dan Gilbert runs the show and calling all the shots. Go hit 8 Mile Rd. if you can't contribute to Detroit's renaissance.

I must have bought over 1000 miles of sash chain from them through the years and hundreds of other items and never have stepped a foot into their brick and mortar stores.

Some times their prices are within line with Ebay and with less risk.

But they do seem to do better with their brick and mortar in middle income areas with heavy density vintage homes,or what used to be called yuppy areas.

I would have thought maybe closer to something like Corktown or Midtown etc. I really do not see them as a downtown core store.

Restoration Hardware is a boring store that didn't appeal to the new Downtown demographic.

Bring in some unique stores that you can't find anywhere in Michigan, international retailers like Muji, Uniqlo, Topshop and Aesop

Lifestyle brands that appeal to the 18-40 young professional demographic and would draw customers from the surrounding region and make Downtown a retail destination.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Restoration Hardware is a boring store that didn't appeal to the new Downtown demographic.

Bring in some unique stores that you can't find anywhere in Michigan, international retailers like Muji, Uniqlo, Topshop and Aesop

Lifestyle brands that appeal to the 18-40 young professional demographic and would draw customers from the surrounding region and make Downtown a retail destination.
    IMHO, most of those would prefer the demographic surrounding somerset. I'd settle for Zara