Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Here we go...Meijer store evacuated after ISIS threat

What has this world come to?

I am at least glad that they were able to handle it and reopen.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/m...mment/36723092

Somehow I don't think an ISIS member would have the courtesy of making a warning or tip-off by saying "Have you heard of ISIS" then leaving a backpack. It would just be boom. Sounds hoaxy.

I agree, this wasn't the real deal. It was somebody actin' stoopid.

It was a "misunderstanding". Someone earlier in the day had purchased a new backpack and asked an employee if it was OK to leave his old one; she said sure. During that exchange they somehow were discussing ISIS. Later, when someone picked up the now empty old backpack, another employee recalled the ISIS exchange and apparently over-reacted and the police were called. The backpack was obviously flat and empty. People need to quit watching certain news networks so much.

If in fact Obama's "all you need is love" approach to the radical Islam is right, Detroit shouldn't be a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    If in fact Obama's "all you need is love" approach to the radical Islam is right, Detroit shouldn't be a target.
    Are you more in the Adolph Trump camp of creating databases regarding people's religious beliefs and deporting the "undesirables"?

horrible behavior. Safety is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    horrible behavior. Safety is paramount.
    It didn't happen: this if from the Macomb Daily:
    Police said a customer who had just purchased a new backpack was walking out of the store on Van Dyke Avenue at 16 Mile Road Monday afternoon when he encountered an employee leaving work for the day.“As they’re walking out of the store, they started talking about world events going on and ISIS,” said Sterling Heights police Lt. David Smith, referring to the extremist militant group.
    At one point, the customer stated to the employee that he had bought a new backpack and inquired what to do with his old one, Smith said. The worker told him to leave it in a shopping cart and someone would later dispose of it.
    An employee returning shopping carts found the backpack in the parking lot and put it in the lost and found.
    Once the worker who had encountered the backpack customer got home, she began thinking about their conversation and the ISIS reference.
    “She thought she should bring it to someone’s attention, so she called the manager to tell him,” Smith said. “To err on the side of caution, the manager took action and decided to evacuate.”
    http://www.macombdaily.com/general-n...sunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    1) That is correct. Detroit is a super-unlikely target. Doesn't mean you couldn't have some random guy with a bomb or a gun, but it would be unlikely to make a even a blip in the homicide statistics.

2) Yes, I understand Obama has ordered that every missile strike be sealed with a kiss.

What a bizarre chain of events initiated from the purchase of a backpack.

I don't think I've ever purchased an item at a store, then asked an employee "what should i do with the old one?" To err on the side of caution, the employee could have said, "I don't know, just don't leave it here."