Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Parking Meters in Midtown

On thanksgiving last week, parking meters were installed on all of second ave. in midtown. Besides the area south of Canfield, this is primarily residential and the residents rely free street parking since parking is limited in the area. The meters haven't been turned on yet, but a change.org petition was started to remove them. If anyone cares to sign and/or share it, here's the link. Thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-det...tarters-no_msg

I share your dislike of parking meters. They discourage business patrons and visitors in a town that needs both. In the Cass Corridor [[yes, I am an old guy and formerly lived there) those who live in the neighborhood need a place to park, often on the street.
    Now that the area has been renamed and re-purposed, it appears that the City smells more income from the new residents.
    My question is: Why the not in my back yard concern now, rather than when the new "state of the art" meters were installed in other areas? I wish you luck in your efforts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    My question is: Why the not in my back yard concern now, rather than when the new "state of the art" meters were installed in other areas? I wish you luck in your efforts, though.
    So far I've only been aware of the new meters replacing older meters that have been around for years in non-residential areas. I would also be opposed to them being installed in other residential areas if I'm aware of it. I didn't know until I saw this petition that the city had installed these new meters in another neighborhood in southwest Detroit recently and they were able to get them removed by speaking out against them.

One of my favorite opening scenes for a movie.

The recently installed meters up and down W Vernor Hwy in southwest have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Delray Kid View Post
    The recently installed meters up and down W Vernor Hwy in southwest have been removed.
    Maybe they'll remove these with all the opposition they have then. I wish whoever decides where to install them put more thought into it or had community engagement in the decision. Seems like they're just installing them where they think they can make the most profit.