Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Detroit needs all the help it can get. So move here. But don't say you weren't warned about the negatives [[high insurance costs, poor schools, higher crime, mediocre city services) It keeps those who scare easily and who don't have a tenacious spirit away. But the positives [[for those with an open mind and who tend to look on the bright side) are considerable. There is a spirit here that is infectious and a sense that you are helping to rebuild a great american city to it's former glory, instead of a drop in an ocean, like you would be in Chicago or New York. There are many different city neighborhoods, each with their own character and ammenities. There is something for everyone, from the worst, most third world looking slum, to the most affluent communities and everything in between, it can be found! Welcome to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Except it takes forever to get anywhere. Work in Southfield? 45-50 minutes commute easy. Work and visit Detroit? Up to an hour. If you crave a big city, living anywhere north of Big Beaver would be the bane of one's existence. Sorry, but Madonna is completely right about Rochester Hills.
    I work in downtown Detroit, it's 45-50 minutes from my house. Commute to Southfield would be 30-40 minutes.

It's a lot of driving, but to give my kids great public schools and lots of recreational opportunities is worth it.

Also, there are jobs in the area too, although those opportunities are not as dense as other areas.

If you don't get a job local, commuting is a negative, one that has to be weighed against the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    and other brilliant uses of transportation infrastructure.

Couldnt resist, sorry.
    :-P

It was no longer used and a group of citizens went through great effort to create something amazing and great. I love the Paint Creek trail. I can hardly wait until the Dequindre Cut gets extended further so that folks in Detroit can have more rails-to-trails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I work in downtown Detroit, it's 45-50 minutes from my house. Commute to Southfield would be 30-40 minutes.

It's a lot of driving, but to give my kids great public schools and lots of recreational opportunities is worth it.

Also, there are jobs in the area too, although those opportunities are not as dense as other areas.

If you don't get a job local, commuting is a negative, one that has to be weighed against the positives.
    I commute the opposite direction, north in the morning. The southbound [[inbound to Detroit) is a parking lot every morning. Same way in the other direction at night. I'm convinced that commute takes years off people's lives.

If your work is home based, you won't need to worry about commuting. You are probably already used to having to drive everywhere, that will still be necessary, as our public transportation is not really very helpful unless you live along a major route and want to go somewhere along a major route. You will want to check on schools for the kids. Schools in areas where the racial population has "tipped" tend to do worse because people who worry about things like that tend to go elsewhere. I hate having to say that.

I live in Southfield and it is truly "The Center of It All." We have some beautiful housing. Mid-century modern abounds, as Southfield was incorporated in 1958 and went from small farms to bedroom suburb quickly through the sixties. Although our schools tend to have prize winning programs, they score lower. School buses are pretty good, and needed as some neighborhoods don't have schools or sidewalks. The two high schools were just combined with different programs at each one. We'll have to see how that goes. Commuting anywhere from here is really the best. One thing about Detroit, if the freeways are clogged up, you can always find a workaround route. I agree, Rochester is 40 minutes. All our shopping is spread out but you can find "downtowns" within ten miles in any direction. I actually do most of my grocery shopping between Plum Hollow in Southfield and Holiday Market in Royal Oak. Plum Hollow has a great butcher shop, and Holiday has world class selection and great prepared foods. Stackerz deli near there will sell you a loaf of their wonderful bread. You need a car to get anywhere.

If you plan to expand to a brick and mortar for your home based business, you might check out Berkley, Royal Oak [[pricey), Ferndale, Farmington for little downtowns with lots of storefront shops. There are lots of others, too. The whole Woodward corridor is a good bet for being able to get places also. The buses run pretty regularly. You have to work around it the second and third week in August because that is Dream Cruise time. Oh, can't forget Mid-town in Detroit. If I were moving anywhere I would look there.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-01-15 at 08:48 AM.

Commuting IS horrid. The only thing making it worthwhile for me when I did it was listening to various talk radio formats and the like to make the drive time more meaningful.

I commute the opposite direction, north in the morning. The southbound [[inbound to Detroit) is a parking lot every morning. Same way in the other direction at night. I'm convinced that commute takes years off people's lives.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-15 at 11:17 PM.

If you're running a home business, You need to do an analysis of Michigan and Detroit taxes before you move. Taxes will be much higher than Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by 08cowwife View Post
    We are a family of 6 wanting to relocate to the Detroit area from Idaho. We should be moving around January/February. We want to buy a home. Our children are older 19,14 and 11. Honestly we know little to nothing about Detroit. My husband and I both have incomes that don't depend on where we live. I'm from a larger city and want to move back to one [[we've been living in the middle of nowhere for 11yrs ). Any pointers and advice would be GREAT!!!!!

I am a homeowner in the "cornerstone village" area. I think it would be a great place for your family. It is one of the safest areas of the city, you can get a great house for dirt cheap, and it has great access to any amenities you want and good schools. The dps schools aren't the best but if you were willing to drive your family 15 minutes or so you could be bringing them to blue ribbon public schools. Shoot me a message or reply here if it sounds like you'd be interested

Time of day makes a huge difference. I live at the Oakland County/Genesee County line with quick access to 75. My commute [[to downtown) takes me 45-50 minutes most mornings. I usually work 7:30-4, so I try leave at 6:15 and I'm early every morning. If I leave 15 minutes later, I will be on time 2/3 of the time, the other 1/3 I'm 10-15 minutes late. If I leave at 6:35, I will be late. Guaranteed. Traffic picks up so much in a 5-10 minute window, it is crazy. Leaving between 6:15 and 6:30, I don't hit any back-ups until 11 mile, then it clears for a minute after 696, then we slow back down so people driving in the exit-only lane that ends at 8 Mile can merge, then it clears the rest of the way. Pretty much the same thing in the afternoon. It normally takes me 60-70 minutes going home if I leave at 4. I was stuck over today and left at 4:30. I got home at 6:15.
    Last edited by jmarie; December-01-15 at 09:32 PM.

Default Farmington

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    If your work is home based, you won't need to worry about commuting. You are probably already used to having to drive everywhere, that will still be necessary, as our public transportation is not really very helpful unless you live along a major route and want to go somewhere along a major route. You will want to check on schools for the kids. Schools in areas where the racial population has "tipped" tend to do worse because people who worry about things like that tend to go elsewhere. I hate having to say that.

I live in Southfield and it is truly "The Center of It All." We have some beautiful housing. Mid-century modern abounds, as Southfield was incorporated in 1958 and went from small farms to bedroom suburb quickly through the sixties. Although our schools tend to have prize winning programs, they score lower. School buses are pretty good, and needed as some neighborhoods don't have schools or sidewalks. The two high schools were just combined with different programs at each one. We'll have to see how that goes. Commuting anywhere from here is really the best. One thing about Detroit, if the freeways are clogged up, you can always find a workaround route. I agree, Rochester is 40 minutes. All our shopping is spread out but you can find "downtowns" within ten miles in any direction. I actually do most of my grocery shopping between Plum Hollow in Southfield and Holiday Market in Royal Oak. Plum Hollow has a great butcher shop, and Holiday has world class selection and great prepared foods. Stackerz deli near there will sell you a loaf of their wonderful bread. You need a car to get anywhere.

If you plan to expand to a brick and mortar for your home based business, you might check out Berkley, Royal Oak [[pricey), Ferndale, Farmington for little downtowns with lots of storefront shops. There are lots of others, too. The whole Woodward corridor is a good bet for being able to get places also. The buses run pretty regularly. You have to work around it the second and third week in August because that is Dream Cruise time. Oh, can't forget Mid-town in Detroit. If I were moving anywhere I would look there.

if you're not ready to move to the "city" Farmington/Farmington hills [[like Southfield) is great. Good schools, historic houses, great services, moderate tax and 25 minutes to downtown in the off hours.

It is a bummer spending about 90 minutes in my car per day. Right now I'm the bread-winner, but my wife is about to get a big promotion and raise. Once she gets that I might look at taking a job closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Detroit needs all the help it can get. So move here. But don't say you weren't warned about the negatives [[high insurance costs, poor schools, higher crime, mediocre city services) It keeps those who scare easily and who don't have a tenacious spirit away. But the positives [[for those with an open mind and who tend to look on the bright side) are considerable. There is a spirit here that is infectious and a sense that you are helping to rebuild a great american city to it's former glory, instead of a drop in an ocean, like you would be in Chicago or New York. There are many different city neighborhoods, each with their own character and ammenities. There is something for everyone, from the worst, most third world looking slum, to the most affluent communities and everything in between, it can be found! Welcome to Detroit.
    Best post of the bunch IMHO. Ignore some of the other Debbie Downers OP.

If I was 20 yrs. younger, I woulda moved back to Detroit 5 yrs. ago.

Still like to know where in Idaho you're coming from......

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Still like to know where in Idaho you're coming from......
    Douglas... it was in reply #4 "We live in Moreland Idaho a.k.a the middle of nowhere."

Default If you move to Detroit, don't make these 5 Gentrifier Mistakes

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/11/aaron-foley-how-to-live-in-detroit-book

How to live in Detroit Without Being A Jackass by Aaron Foley [[new book) looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Douglas... it was in reply #4 "We live in Moreland Idaho a.k.a the middle of nowhere."
    LDS-Country...wonder if they're part of that FLDS polygamist compound pastel dress crowd

Sorry, I missed that completely. It IS in the middle of nowhere.....about as far removed from Cd'A as possible.

Have you considered Dexter or Chelsea? It's far enough away from Detroit to have the rural feeling, but close enough to the city [[and A2) that taking advantage of it would not be a big burden.

Make sure you check on the local ordinances regarding urban farming and critters,city folk and country folk have a different view on what farming is.It is more like urban gardening then farming.

There have been a few cases where some have moved and and had critters and found out the hard way that the city is no different then others when it comes to them in the city limits.

Blackfoot if you don't know where that is its between idaho Falls and pocatello if you don't know where that is south eastern idaho.

I would hate to be the one to educate you but FLDS are in Arizona. Yep my husband plans on moving his other 12 wives up as soon as we get settled. With all the vacant houses we figured we could put one wife in each house and be running detroit by the end of next year.

I would hate to be the one to educate you but FLDS are in Arizona. Yep my husband plans on moving his other 12 wives up as soon as we get settled. With all the vacant houses we figured we could put one wife in each house and be running detroit by the end of next year.

FYI I'm jewish and moving to where there is a larger jewish community is one of the reasons why we are moving. The nearest Rabbi is in Salt Lake over 200 miles away.

Love it! Now if you want the Jewish community, there is quite a history here. North of Boston-Edison to Dexter-Davison to Southfield-Oak Park to West Bloomfield. There is a substantial Orthodox community along Ten Mile near Greenfield and going north to Lincoln - Eleven Mile. Those communities are Southfield and Oak Park. Twentysome years ago, we even established an Eruv for those Orthodox who needed to travel to temple on Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Love it! Now if you want the Jewish community, there is quite a history here. North of Boston-Edison to Dexter-Davison to Southfield-Oak Park to West Bloomfield. There is a substantial Orthodox community along Ten Mile near Greenfield and going north to Lincoln - Eleven Mile. Those communities are Southfield and Oak Park. Twentysome years ago, we even established an Eruv for those Orthodox who needed to travel to temple on Sabbath.
    Welcome, wherever and why ever you choose to settle

You can research these cities at the city-data.com site I offered in my earlier post. While, of if, you come for a visit you can reach out to the Jewish community for advice/suggestions on some of the questions and concerns expressed here.

Here's a link to something the Detroit Jewish News Foundation put out about a year ago. Enjoy!

"The Story of Our Community, and the Thousands of People Who Shaped it". Endowed by the William Davidson Digital Archive of Jewish Detroit History Fund, every page of both the Detroit Jewish Chronicle and the Detroit Jewish News – beginning in 1916 – is now at your fingertips...fully searchable, fast and free.
    http://djnfoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 08cowwife View Post

FYI I'm jewish and moving to where there is a larger jewish community is one of the reasons why we are moving. The nearest Rabbi is in Salt Lake over 200 miles away.
    LMAO.....Give it to 'em.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast