Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My family wants move to Detroit advice?

We are a family of 6 wanting to relocate to the Detroit area from Idaho. We should be moving around January/February. We want to buy a home. Our children are older 19,14 and 11. Honestly we know little to nothing about Detroit. My husband and I both have incomes that don't depend on where we live. I'm from a larger city and want to move back to one [[we've been living in the middle of nowhere for 11yrs ). Any pointers and advice would be GREAT!!!!!

Depends somewhat on where in Idaho you're coming from. Boise or Moscow, you might be looking for a university type atmosphere. Cd'A, more urban/suburb. The panhandle, why Detroit? Maybe upstate is for you.

So I guess the question is where are you coming from, and what are you looking for?

We are not a starter family I have 6 kids 4 of which are adults now we are near empty-nesters.

What we see in Detroit is opportunities we just don't have here. We live in Moreland Idaho a.k.a the middle of nowhere. I want to be near a big city because I grew up in one.
    Last edited by admin; November-30-15 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 08cowwife View Post
    We are not a starter family I have 6 kids 4 of which are adults now we are near empty-nesters.
    Oh I totally got that, that's the reason for my quotes. You're a starter family because you're new here. So instead of getting drenched in the harshness of Detroit, you might want to consider dipping your toes in the region and moving to an inner suburb. Berkley, Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe Park or St. Clair Shores would be good candidates.

What we see in Detroit is opportunities we just don't have here. We live in Moreland Idaho a.k.a the middle of nowhere. I want to be near a big city because I grew up in one.
    You must a some requirements or desires in mind other than being near a big city; those tidbits would be helpful.

If you have never spent much time in the Detroit area, whether you are looking in the city or a suburb or are not sure which you want, I recommend renting a place before seriously considering buying. There are a lot of rental houses available if you want to live in a house. Once you are in the area, you will be able to get a much better idea of what towns/neighborhoods are appealing and affordable. You will probably get a lot of questionable information from people even after you arrive, but you will be in a better position to evaluate it. I would be even more emphatic about this if you are planning to live inside the city limits, because what neighborhood or even block you live in can make a big difference in your quality of life, and you are not going to know enough to make that decision until you have been around a bit.

Given that you still have school-age children, you should probably give the availability of schools some consideration. The quality of the schools varies widely from town to town, as it does most places in the US. Most people with an alternative would not choose to send their children to the Detroit Public Schools, although again they are not all equally terrible. There are other options for people living in the city, but they are often more expensive or less convenient or both.

Good luck!

OP, out of all of the larger cities in the country, is there a particular reason why you chose Detroit?

Most people who move to the Detroit area either have family ties or accepted a job offer in the auto industry [[and are essentially forced to temporarily live here beyond their control). It's not known as a cosmopolitan place that people move to just for fun.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-29-15 at 06:29 PM.

08, I live in and enjoy Dearborn. My neighborhood has lots of Ford employees, has decent schools and nice housing stock at affordable prices. Right next to Detroit and all it has to offer. Feel free to PM me on the area. I love Detroit, but don't know the neighborhoods well.
    Last edited by admin; November-30-15 at 12:56 AM.

We are a family of 6 wanting to relocate to the Detroit area from Idaho. We should be moving around January/February. We want to buy a home. Our children are older 19,14 and 11. Honestly we know little to nothing about Detroit. My husband and I both have incomes that don't depend on where we live. I'm frome a larger city and want to move back to one [[we've been living in the middle of nowhere for 11yrs ). Any pointers and advice would be GREAT!!!!!
    I want to know why you want to move too. Take a trip. Spend some time there. You probably heard about the cheap housing.
    Otherwise, I don't know why you would want to move?

Welcome to Detroit. We are an international metropolis of over 100 communities. Your will find many excellent choices to fit your needs. This link will lead you to some past discussions of this topic.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/tags.ph...ing+to+detroit
    Last edited by admin; November-30-15 at 12:57 AM.

I can't say cheap housing isn't a plus. I've also read/seen alot about small business opportunities I currently run a small business out of my home and would like to expand to a brick and mortar storefront but here I wouldn't have the clientele it would require a much larger city. Also I'm very interested in urban farming and have again read/seen a lot about different projects currently going in Detroit.

We would never go into this blind that's why I'm asking questions here as a starting point. We plan on visiting in January I want an idea of where to look and what the feel is first.

We would never go into this blind that's why I'm asking questions here as a starting point. We plan on visiting in January I want an idea of where to look and what the feel is first.
    I'll just say this on a purely aesthetics basis, metro Detroit is ugly during January and February. The Christmas decorations are down, the snow has come and in turns black within days [[if new snow doesn't cover it) due to all at the exhaust and pollution and the blight even looks worse, if that's possible. I'm happy you're visiting, but don't judge us during January and February.

May thru December are the best months to visit. It's either spring/summer and therefore gorgeous out or fall with the foliage or November and December with all the Christmas decorations and spirit.

You should visit in January.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You should visit in January.
    I agree.

Many times where I live people have moved to and bought property based on what the saw in Sring, Summer and early Fall. Only to find out in the winter that they can't use the driveway because the car won't climb it. Houses that won't heat comfortably in the winter and so on...

I am interested as to what you have read, seen or heard about Detroit that caught your attention.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; November-30-15 at 06:19 PM.

Welcome to Detroit! I hope you find a nice place to live and decide to make this your permanent home. The city and region have much to offer, and I'm certain that if you come with your eyes wide, you will find what you are looking for.

I would second the warning that January is the coldest and often ugliest time of the year to be here, so don't let that put you off - we have two cold months [[January and February), and then its on to good times the rest of the year. Coming from Idaho, I imagine you can make it through the winter.

Best,

Wife and I relocated back for good job opportunities [[shocker not in automotive field nor gilbert-affiliated) and to be closer to her family. We chose lily white Bloomfield hills with Birmingham schools as we have 2 young children and care about resale. We considered the university district, but the commute out to suburban private school and back downtown for work was impractical and I'm more concerned about Wayne county on the whole. The housing comps are good but taxes are high for what we got. I loathe the daily commute downtown, but enjoy the nightlife in the city. Daycare and car insurance were big increases from where we came. I am always shocked by the litter, slow public transit, amount of people who still smoke and lack of good non-chain restaurants in the suburbs. There is an authenticity here that the coasts lack [[except Birmingham which is scary fake), but I anticipate we will leave after a couple years...
    Last edited by hybridy; November-30-15 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    If you have never spent much time in the Detroit area, whether you are looking in the city or a suburb or are not sure which you want, I recommend renting a place before seriously considering buying. There are a lot of rental houses available if you want to live in a house. Once you are in the area, you will be able to get a much better idea of what towns/neighborhoods are appealing and affordable. You will probably get a lot of questionable information from people even after you arrive, but you will be in a better position to evaluate it. I would be even more emphatic about this if you are planning to live inside the city limits, because what neighborhood or even block you live in can make a big difference in your quality of life, and you are not going to know enough to make that decision until you have been around a bit.

Given that you still have school-age children, you should probably give the availability of schools some consideration. The quality of the schools varies widely from town to town, as it does most places in the US. Most people with an alternative would not choose to send their children to the Detroit Public Schools, although again they are not all equally terrible. There are other options for people living in the city, but they are often more expensive or less convenient or both.

Good luck!
    This will likely be the most helpful post in the entire discussion.

Now for my 3 cents worth...
    Here's a site for research with an amazing amount of detailed info, city by city.
    http://www.city-data.com/

Here's their "moving and relocation" forum
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Greetings And Salutations

Name:  welcome.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  165.8 KB

I live in Rochester Hills and love it here. It's a very safe community, great schools [[go for Rochester district), and lots of outdoor recreation activities including a railway converted to a trail, a river you can kayak, woods to walk through, lots of parks, and plenty of shopping areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I live in Rochester Hills and love it here. It's a very safe community, great schools [[go for Rochester district), and lots of outdoor recreation activities including a railway converted to a trail, a river you can kayak, woods to walk through, lots of parks, and plenty of shopping areas.
    Except it takes forever to get anywhere. Work in Southfield? 45-50 minutes commute easy. Work and visit Detroit? Up to an hour. If you crave a big city, living anywhere north of Big Beaver would be the bane of one's existence. Sorry, but Madonna is completely right about Rochester Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Except it takes forever to get anywhere. Work in Southfield? 45-50 minutes commute easy. Work and visit Detroit? Up to an hour. If you crave a big city, living anywhere north of Big Beaver would be the bane of one's existence. Sorry, but Madonna is completely right about Rochester Hills.
    Rochester is a pretty nice area and if one craves a big city they probably don't and shouldn't live in Michigan.
    Last edited by TTime; November-30-15 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    very true, because any attractive suburban location with good public schools and under 30 minutes to downtown isn't affordable [[>$250k). you have to drive out beyond that circle to get good public schools at a good price aka exurban sprawl...[[novi, brighton, south lyon, clarkston). who would live there is beyond me.. i didn't consider the pointes or downriver...but i don't believe they're good prospects long term. another strange SE MI thing, but it's long range commuters. i'll never understand it. 35 min is my max...
    Last edited by hybridy; November-30-15 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    ?..including a railway converted to a trail...
    and other brilliant uses of transportation infrastructure.

Couldnt resist, sorry.

Welcome.

If you look long enough you can find what you're looking for in the Detroit area, there is a lot of diversity with many choices to fit almost all lifestyles if you do your research.

My only warning is take most everything on this website with a grain of salt. DetroitYes.com is more of a forum of free speech. Suburbs vs. city, west side vs. east side vs. downriver or any community that within that someone feels needs an ambassador. Racism, politics, religion and the stuff that wouldn't normally make polite dinner conversation which happens to attract trolls in droves.

If you seek it we have it around here some place so you just need to find it. Good luck I hope you find what your looking for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast