Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sources: Gilbert, GM working on mixed-use development of 20 acres along Detroit River

In Crain's today:

'Project would include residential, retail components east of Renaissance Center, sources say

General Motors Co. and Dan Gilbert’s Rock Ventures LLC are working to develop a swath of land, at least some of which GM owns, on the Detroit River totaling more than 20 acres just east of the Renaissance Center.

According to sources, the development of the area south of Jefferson Avenue would be mixed use, with a combination of multifamily units, retail and other uses.

Sources’ accounts of the project status differ, with one source saying an architecture firm has been chosen and Gilbert’s company selected to develop the land. Another source said negotiations between GM and Gilbert’s team are ongoing.

"We do not comment on speculation or rumors," Carolyn Artman, senior public relations manager for Rock Ventures, said in an email this afternoon. "Any company business or other matters that we decide to disclose publicly will be done so through the proper channels at the appropriate time."

As the last line says, it's still just a rumor, but a nice rumor it is.

The entire article is here.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nt-on-20-acres

If you don't subscribe to Crains, google the headline and title of this thread and you'll find a link to the article, available without a password.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the paste and search method doesn't seem to work to well anymore. It only brings me links to the Crain's site with a password necessary to view full content. I had been using this method for years after seeing Gistok mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the paste and search method doesn't seem to work to well anymore. It only brings me links to the Crain's site with a password necessary to view full content. I had been using this method for years after seeing Gistok mention it...
    FWIW, I just did this and it worked fine.

Not to be funny, but have you tried just clicking on the link? It's been opening fine for me.

Dbest, the problem with copying the heading is that it doesn't include the words "Detroit Crain's".

Do an internet [[I use Google) search on.... "Detroit Crain's Gilbert GM Riverfront".

When I did that it gave me a link to the entire article.

When you just click on the link provided, and you do not subscribe to Crain's... most [[but not all) of the time you just get an abbreviated version with a link to subscribe to Crain's, to see the rest of the article.

For me [[historically) the best way to find the entire article is to start the search with "Detroit Crain's"... and a few other keywords that are specific to that topic....
    Last edited by Gistok; November-26-15 at 04:16 PM.

what all properties are left immediately east of the Rencen complex? there doesn't seem to be much left besides some derelict warehouses, and the old Detroit Crain's headquarters on Woodbridge that now houses a nonprofit agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Not to be funny, but have you tried just clicking on the link? It's been opening fine for me.
    You trying to be a "wise guy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Dbest, the problem with copying the heading is that it doesn't include the words "Detroit Crain's".

Do an internet [[I use Google) search on.... "Detroit Crain's Gilbert GM Riverfront".

When I did that it gave me a link to the entire article.

When you just click on the link provided, and you do not subscribe to Crain's... most [[but not all) of the time you just get an abbreviated version with a link to subscribe to Crain's, to see the rest of the article.

For me [[historically) the best way to find the entire article is to start the search with "Detroit Crain's"... and a few other keywords that are specific to that topic....
    This is the method you described years ago. I'd been using it forever, now my Google won't spit out an unlocked link like in the past. I followed your directions just now to make sure, only gave me locked Crain"s links.

I'll keep messing with it, thanks for the help...

It's hard to determine exactly where this development would be, south of Jefferson & East of ren cen doesn't help much. However, I hope it's not between Atwater and the river. IMO this land should be a continuation of the river walk and open to the public. Put tennis courts, soccer field, roller hockey surfaces, b-ball courts. I would personally hate to see development right up to the river.

You trying to be a "wise guy"?
    No, not this time. You said in your original post you copy and paste the link into your browser, so I wondered if you tried just clicking on it. Try clearing all the cookies and saved links in your browser cache. The site might be remembering you from previous visits and feels this guy's had enough freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No, not this time. You said in your original post you copy and paste the link into your browser, so I wondered if you tried just clicking on it. Try clearing all the cookies and saved links in your browser cache. The site might be remembering you from previous visits and feels this guy's had enough freebies.

Thanx HT, worked like a charm. The thought crossed my mind but I needed prodded to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DinNC View Post
    It's hard to determine exactly where this development would be, south of Jefferson & East of ren cen doesn't help much. However, I hope it's not between Atwater and the river. IMO this land should be a continuation of the river walk and open to the public. Put tennis courts, soccer field, roller hockey surfaces, b-ball courts. I would personally hate to see development right up to the river.
    I think all of that land is either controlled by the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy or is part of Milliken State Park. You have to go east past St. Aubin to get to what was supposed to be The Watermark condo development directly on the riverbank.

However, in the last couple of months, a chain-link fence was constructed on the land south of Atwater between roughly the Rivard Plaza parking lot and Riopelle. The is adjacent to the existing State Park wetlands area. I always assumed this was also part of the State Park. Does anybody know what the fence is all about? It doesn't seem big enough to support housing.

The area bounded by the chain link fence was originally going to be the @Water Lofts. It was a condo development by a development company called Belyeu[[sp?). The guy did the Crystal Lofts above Ye Olde Butcher Shop. It would be nice to have some residential on that side of Atwater. I disagree with DinNC. I think what remains of vacant land south of Atwater should be used for a mix of residential and retail. In fact, I think there should be an additional road added south of Atwater. The Riverside Drive street seen in some of the old GM renderings from years back started south of Atwater at St. Antoine and continued east. The new road that I suggest would be an extension of Riverside Drive and would begin at Rivard and continue along the sidewalk section of Rivard Plaza, and then curve back towards Atwater at Orleans. A lot of residential and retail could go there, therefore the state doesn't need to expand Milliken Park. It's time to get more people living down there, period.
    Last edited by royce; November-29-15 at 04:00 AM.

Well, can someone tell me who tore down to bars on Schweitzer's Place and Franklin and made them into parking lots? I thought the demolitions were for the purpose of re-purposing I-375?

^^^ Gen. Motors bought [[or already owned?) those properties, razed the bars/clubs, and has them as parking for Ren Cen/GM employees.

Thx, Hypestyles.

That's most likely short term. I'd imagine they will be moving forward with some sort of development of those sites. TBD right now I'd think.

never knew GM chased after Danny to build on the river...glad it didn't come to fruition though

How Detroit riverfront lost out on Gilbert's Quicken headquarters

Decade-old proposal from GM spells out plans for new 10-story building

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-headquarters

Name:  AR-151219775.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1809
Size:  105.6 KB

Really glad that didn't happen. It may have altered the course that downtown has been put on. I am also hopeful that anything built in this space now will be a bit more inspired than that bland office building.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Really glad that didn't happen. It may have altered the course that downtown has been put on. I am also hopeful that anything built in this space now will be a bit more inspired than that bland office building.
    agreed..it could've turned into one of these
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...m-wayne-county

GM subsidiary confirms redevelopment plan east of RenCen with Gilbert

A subsidiary of General Motors Co. has confirmed that it is working with Dan Gilbert's team on a large-scale mixed-use development east of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. Riverfront Holdings Inc., which owns the RenCen, said in a statement to Crain's on Friday afternoon that it is in negotiations with Gilbert's Detroit-based Rock Ventures LLC to develop about 10 acres of vacant land that's currently being used as surface parking.
    "The partners plan to redevelop the land into a mixed-use complex of residential, office and retail," the statement said.

Interesting. Anyone know how 10 acres fits into the lots that they have east of the Ren Cen? Im wondering if they are going to piece meal this given the uncertainty of 375 and how any riverfront linkage might affect their properties in the area.

It would interest me to find out what the "retail components" of this development might be. It seems to be a trend to include retail in developments like this, only to have he retail lay unoccupied, or at best consist of a convenience store to serve the residents. Retail space without foot traffic is pretty much a dead issue.

douglasm, I think retail along the riverfront [[in whatever projects are developed, not specifically this one) will mostly be catering to the recreational foot traffic along the RiverWalk, plus some locals moving into said projects and professionals in RenCen. It suspect it won't be "destination" boutiques and shops, but rather mostly coffee shops, take out cafes, etc. While they may not be "convenience stores" per say, they will be there to sell to those buying food, bev & accessories on the quick, not people shopping for fine clothes, gifts & furnishings. I wouldn't be upset to be wrong, but I would be surprised of I am.

Calltoaction Guest

Development right up on the river would be amazing, that's how it was before the city destroyed the neighborhoods that were once on hart plaza. It would also increase walkability and vibrancy on the riverfront, Boston does the same thing, their developments are right on the harbor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast