Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Berkley Front is shuttered

I learned yesterday that the venerable Berkley Front shut its doors a week or two ago and has a haz-mat sign in the window warning of leaking Leonard's syrups. A friend who lives nearby said the place had long been badly run and was down to five beers on tap the last time he visited.

Anyone know what happened?

This is unfortunate news. It was such a fun place and while it may have been "hipster-esque", it was a cool, divey atmosphere. I was last there in July and it seemed they had a lot still on tap, I wonder what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelock View Post
    a haz-mat sign in the window warning of leaking Leonard's syrups.
    That makes no sense,unless it is meant to be a joke,but I would not think Leonard's would find that amusing.

Who is leonard's syrups?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That makes no sense,unless it is meant to be a joke,but I would not think Leonard's would find that amusing.
    It was meant to be a joke. The first thought that crossed my mind was the Great Molasses Flood.

Detroit based soft drink company/ distributor; makers of the syrup base used for vended soft and fountain drink -- for commercial sale, machines, etc.

http://www.leonardssyrups.com/

Meet the family:

http://www.leonardssyrups.com/about_us.html

LOL I liked how this turned into a thread about syrups.

Anyway, after doing some investigation it looks like because of their poor management [[though I never had any bad service there), "low-brow" atmosphere [[the bathrooms were ghastly), and most importantly probably that they were competing with 24 Second and the new "Irish" bar across the street, they could not stay open.

One thing they had that the others place don't is live entertainment
    Last edited by Oddz313; November-23-15 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    One thing they had that the others place don't is live entertainment
    Very true, but IMHO the quality of the live entertainment had gone down hill in recent years and the vibe had changed. The upstairs bar staff was almost hostile last time I was there for a show [[maybe a year ago) and I haven't been back since. Used to be my favorite spot in the area and I had some great times there. very sad.

Long time since I was there, late 90s. I think Howling Diablos was playing... wasn't there a stuffed bear in that place? lol

Default The Sticker is most likely for CO2

The hazardous materials sticker is most likely for the CO2 [[carbon dioxide) tanks in the building. CO2 tanks, whether large or small, can leak. Just guessing...

I never made it there. When the BF open?

If I remember, it was quite a surprise for a bar, omg, a bar was opening in sleepy Berkley. Or is my memory going bad again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Long time since I was there, late 90s. I think Howling Diablos was playing... wasn't there a stuffed bear in that place? lol
    I think your talking about the Bears Den which was where Kid Rock changed his style and gained more of a following.

Ah maybe it was Bears Den. Hm I know I've been to Berkley Front around that time too, it's all a blur now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I never made it there. When the BF open?

If I remember, it was quite a surprise for a bar, omg, a bar was opening in sleepy Berkley. Or is my memory going bad again?
    It opened early no earlier than 89. David E Davis Jr was a partner. The big thing it had going was no smoking, no crappy food and 50 good beers on tap.

Their slogan was "No rice, no ice".

It was not a big deal that a bar opened in Berkley, but that a good bar opened in Berkley. The 3 things you can do non stop in Berkley are get alcohol, get pizza and go to church, spent 32 years living there.

I didn't post the above; I'm not sure if someone hacked my account or if there is some other glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It opened early no earlier than 89. David E Davis Jr was a partner. The big thing it had going was no smoking, no crappy food and 50 good beers on tap.

Their slogan was "No rice, no ice".

It was not a big deal that a bar opened in Berkley, but that a good bar opened in Berkley. The 3 things you can do non stop in Berkley are get alcohol, get pizza and go to church, spent 32 years living there.
    Thanks. I remember when it opened that it was a 'big deal'.