Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jack White/Third Man Records opening new record manufacturing plant in Detroit

Whoa. That is excellent!

I know a lot of small labels regularly complained Third Man was taking up all of the capacity at United, slowing the process down. I would imagine this was partly due to increased interest in vinyl from major labels, as well.

That said, Archer Records is still in Detroit and still pressing vinyl, as far as I know. They did a few jobs for me and were great to deal with.

More jobs! Great news. The more the better so keep them coming.

I love it when famous people don't forget their roots and respect the old hometown. Yes, I'm talking about you, Madonna.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    I love it when famous people don't forget their roots and respect the old hometown. Yes, I'm talking about you, Madonna.
    Who? What? What's a Madonna? Is that some kind of leather handbag?!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Who? What? What's a Madonna? Is that some kind of leather handbag?!
    Hahaha! Hahaha! Omg I cant stop laughing,... "leather handbag"!! Hahaha...good one.

I can't believe they put a Mold-A-Rama in the shop, too friggn sweet.

I would love to go see The Syncopators perform live in the shop, going to have to make that happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dbest; November-28-15 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    I can't believe they put a Mold-A-Rama in the shop, too friggn sweet....
    Thanks for posting that.

I can't believe I've never known such a machine existed. The only thing that would make it better would be if the molds were transparent and could be selected by the operator.

By chance I just happened to run across a related video that explains Plastic Injection Molding in detail. At the end they touch on the genius of the LEGO brick design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I can't believe I've never known such a machine existed. The only thing that would make it better would be if the molds were transparent and could be selected by the operator.
    There's quite a cult around Mold-a-rama. Greenfield Village as a bunch of them. My wife wants to go to the Toledo Zoo as they have some fairly exclusive holiday molds that are pretty rare. The highest concentration of machines is in the midwest, followed by Seattle and a few down in Florida IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    There's quite a cult around Mold-a-rama. Greenfield Village as a bunch of them. My wife wants to go to the Toledo Zoo as they have some fairly exclusive holiday molds that are pretty rare. The highest concentration of machines is in the midwest, followed by Seattle and a few down in Florida IIRC.
    Chicago has many....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks for posting that.

By chance I just happened to run across a related video that explains Plastic Injection Molding in detail. At the end they touch on the genius of the LEGO brick design.
    Better late than never. They are even cooler in person...I like the transparent mold idea.

This article describes how Jack White discovered Mold-A-Rama, and gives machine locations. The Henry Ford has a bunch:

http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-c...-empire-113794

MIDWEST: 66 total
    Toledo, Ohio - 12

Chicago-area, Illinois - 27*

St. Paul, Minnesota - 4

Dearborn, Michigan - 10
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin - 13
    FLORIDA
    Miami - 12
    Ft. Lauderdale - 1
    Tampa - 21

Sarasota - 1