Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brace Yourself for a Winter Storm.

There will be Winter Storm Watch for the entire Metro-Detroit Area all day Saturday, November 21. First major snow storm of the season. Thank you El-Nino.

"STOP IT"

This is Michigan, It's late November, It's just normal snowfall. Just like it rains in the summer, It snows in the winter in Michigan. I'm tired of people overhyping routine weather.

If you can't handle the snow move the hell out of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    "STOP IT"

This is Michigan, It's late November, It's just normal snowfall. Just like it rains in the summer, It snows in the winter in Michigan. I'm tired of people overhyping routine weather.

If you can't handle the snow move the hell out of Michigan.

I'm not leaving Michigan. Let the white stuff come in. Michigan welcomes snow.
    Last edited by Danny; November-20-15 at 02:35 PM.

On the pragmatic side of things: Are the tri-county and city governments ready with the snow-removal equipment and supplies? Every year there's something that comes up somewhere with manpower shortages, salt shortages, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    On the pragmatic side of things: Are the tri-county and city governments ready with the snow-removal equipment and supplies? Every year there's something that comes up somewhere with manpower shortages, salt shortages, etc.
    Not really... Government are prepared. The only time we had issues were the really rough winters they started to run out of salt. Other than that, the government responds.

The big issue is that people like to complain. They like to be unreasonable. They want their street cleared first. They want their route to work cleared first. But then when you suggest that you'd need to raise taxes for the level of service they're demanding, then they complain about how high taxes are.

It's Michigan. It's going to snow. The streets will be cleared eventually. Be safe. Be patient.

Be sure and leave all the cars in the street so they can't plow it. Smh. I say tow 'em.

It's being called "Winter Storm Bella"

We'll only get 3-5 inches in Detroit. The heavier snow should be north of the city.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And naming winter storms is fearmarketing bullshit. [[as I run off to trademark the name fearmarketing)

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    And naming winter storms is fearmarketing bullshit. [[as I run off to trademark the name fearmarketing)
    I agree,growing up in the 60s,70s,in Minneapolis it was common to have -50 temps with wind chill and car burying snow storms,if the buses could roll you went to school and they always moved before the plows,we used to wish for the far fetched dream of a snow day which never happened.

When winter came you knew it was going to be cold and snow.

Be prepared for the worst,a little back up Genny a few days supply of food and water some candles.If it never happens there is no loss.

A little fear might be good for some people since every year we have a ton of accidents in winter. Slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    A little fear might be good for some people since every year we have a ton of accidents in winter. Slow down.
    Stupidity knows no fear.

Buy bread and milk now!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    And if you're really scared, move over.

Frankie will tell us what to do.

I plow snow in the winter, and one of our contracts is a private street in Farmington Hills. I try to get it done before 6am because any time after that the homeowners come out and start waving their arms at me complaining about the snow drift about to go in front of their driveway. Sorry guys, that's our job & our contract.

One time, this guy came up to me and said "if my pregnant wife breaks her back or loses our child shoveling that snow away then we will sue you." I looked him straight in the eye and said "F. You." Felt great.

Usually people are real happy to see us, but for whatever reason on that street there is always problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    And if you're really scared, move over.
    Or stay inside.

I've always been a great snow driver with little problem negotiating snowy roads but it seems some people are not driving carefully, these days of texting, mobile phone distractions or with surety now.

I was a teenager during the REALLY bad snows of the late seventies [[snow drifts up to foot high at the front door winter) etc. But there were less cars on the road, fewers cars with 19 inch rims -- thin tires gone bald, texting and the increased speed in some areas.

Someone slid into me last winter, claiming 'her' foot slid off the break peddle on the snow and ice. Thankfully, it was a minor and I was able to get car repaired.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-21-15 at 10:06 PM.

Pretty sizable parts of Illinois and Iowa picked up 12-18" of snow in only a matter of several hours.

So it's definitely an impressive and unusual Winter Storm for November.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Pretty sizable parts of Illinois and Iowa picked up 12-18" of snow in only a matter of several hours.

So it's definitely an impressive and unusual Winter Storm for November.
    Not as bad as that Super Bowl Sunday snow last Feb but we got about 10 inches up here around Maple / Lasher. It ain't no light fluffy stuff either.

Not fluffy at all. It's that heavy, power line pull-down kind in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It ain't no light fluffy stuff either.

The far NW suburbs got just plain clobbered from I hear, with widespread 12"+ totals and impassable roads.

ONLY 3-6" total fell from what I'm hearing in the immediate metro area, with officially 4.8" at Metro Airport. This is the biggest November snowfall for Detroit proper in over 30 years and it puts us at well above average snowfall for the month.

And I'm also without power.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've always been a great snow driver with little problem negotiating snowy roads but it seems some people are not driving carefully, these days of texting, mobile phone distractions or with surety now.
    Surety...

I had never seen the word used this way before. Looked it up and it's one of those words with different meanings. In this case. "the state of being sure or certain of something."

Thumbs up!
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; November-22-15 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not as bad as that Super Bowl Sunday snow last Feb but we got about 10 inches up here around Maple / Lasher. It ain't no light fluffy stuff either.
    I lost a tree and some large branches. There was blue lightning over Oakland hills golf course around 5-6 pm hour. It was the first time I'd ever seen that.

Thanks, I love language and words. Too bad we [[English language) don't have the variations of meaning in some words like you have in Latin. But that might get us into more trouble......!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Surety...

I had never seen the word used this way before. Looked it up and it's one of those words with different meanings. In this case. "the state of being sure or certain of something."

Thumbs up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast