Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Calling All Charity-Minded Folks in the Detroit Area!

As a person who does his humble best year-round doing [[non-compulsory) charity work around the Detroit/Wayne County area at various Community Kitchens and Pantries, I've noticed that there is an upswing in donations around the Holiday Season. However, our region is getting rather financially hit, and it's starting to show. Talking with a number of coordinators from a few Food Pantries, donations that would normally be coming in from Gleaners, Capuchin, and other [[food bank) sources are pitifully few.

We are all not as well off [[and we would like to blame many sources for this, but this thread is not the place-this thread, as it suggests in the title, is strictly for those with charitable mindsets) as we used to be, but I know that there are plenty of Oakland County folks who can assist with donating food, goods, and funds to the various services operating in the lesser fortunate Wayne County area.

I make this simple plea for folks to give the funds, food, and goods [[especially food and funds) they got to Gleaners, Capuchin, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, or directly to parishes like Ste. Anne's [[which will have it's pantry closed for next week only, but will continue afterwards), All Saints on Fort, or the H.O.M.E. pantry at the Maplewood Center [[they are struggling the worst) in Garden City which services a lot of elderly folks.

This is not an endorsement as I have nothing really to gain, but please at least give it a try for this time of year.

Thank You and God Bless.

Wow still no replies. I will remember this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Wow still no replies. I will remember this year.
    The reason probably is that we can see how well fed the many "Food Pantries" in the area keep everybody, and they are cheaper than Meijers, so we're changing from donors to donees. We never see anybody hungry [[although we're told they're everywhere) and it's no fun picking up your own stuff for "free". so we're going with the flow - get somebody else's. All you need is a big bag, an SUV and a TIVO/DVR.
    Last edited by coracle; November-25-15 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    The reason probably is that we can see how well fed the many "Food Pantries" in the area keep everybody, and they are cheaper than Meijers, so we're changing from donors to donees. We never see anybody hungry [[although we're told they're everywhere) and it's no fun picking up your own stuff for "free". so we're going with the flow - get somebody else's. All you need is a big bag, an SUV and a TIVO/DVR.
    No, that's not it. Some of us have already donated.

Edited to add:

https://thawfund.org/
    Last edited by Pam; November-25-15 at 12:14 PM.

As I made so painstakingly clear, [[as to avoid any vicious nonsensical posts) the numbers for need are greater than before. I see the people coming in. They are not driving nice vehicles, in nice clothes, or looking all that pretty in the skin and body. They are old, broken [[sometimes simple or just over-wearied from trying to stay afloat) human beings, but human beings none the less.

The supplies are lacking. WE in Michigan are struggling. Yet, it's so sad that we get so self-absorbed [[and believe me, I know quite well how self-importance affects me on many levels) our own problems, we end up saying "well, what about me-nobody's lookin' out for me, so why should I have to do anything for anything else?" Yeah, scripturally speaking, give to what you have, not what you don't have [[don't let someone's want be a burden on your need). Yet, I imagine there are a lot of "haves" out there who rationalize that since they skipped the yearly trip to Martha's Vineyard this year, they don't have what it takes to bump up the less fortunate a mere notch. Yet, I won't guilt things any further...

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Wow still no replies...
    I think that the reason for the lack of "replies" is that the OP was simply asking folks to give and do something to help. Period. Not to list your giving, or brag about it, just be aware and DO something. Many already are. Even though times are tough, I've read elsewhere that folks around our Region are very generous "givers".

As another "person who does his humble best year-round" both by giving to multiple agencies that provide services, and by personally giving and helping as I can face to face, I feel little need to talk about it. Many of you could out talk me... yes, some out do me, yet I remain secure knowing I do my part regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I think that the reason for the lack of "replies" is that the OP was simply asking folks to give and do something to help. Period. Not to list your giving, or brag about it, just be aware and DO something. Many already are. Even though times are tough, I've read elsewhere that folks around our Region are very generous "givers".

As another "person who does his humble best year-round" both by giving to multiple agencies that provide services, and by personally giving and helping as I can face to face, I feel little need to talk about it. Many of you could out talk me... yes, some out do me, yet I remain secure knowing I do my part regularly.
    Good post, Vic01.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post

Or as Hey-soos sez in Matthew 6...

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
    so that your giving may be in secret."

Don't let grinches spoil your holiday spirit.

Here's an antidote:

Truman Capote's "The Thanksgiving Visitor" [[1967)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vic and Lowell are right. I just want folks to wisely give without bragging [[or putting me in the position to do likewise). No oversized checks-just doing the work that never gets done and may go even unnoticed and unthanked [[often times cursed). Even if it's just Vets helping Vets [[or seniors helping seniors, etc.).-and yes, I believe in no "lost causes".

http://wdet.org/posts/2015/03/16/798...o-detroit-map/

What the map doesn't capture is that there are different flavors of poverty.

Some is seen in Hamtramck among newly immigrated Bangladeshis - but they have
    fairly good social networks and perhaps due to good immigration "vetting" aren't shooting
    others in Hamtramck, not at a three hundred per year clip for sure.
    Even in the nicest areas in the suburbs there is poverty. It might be due to job loss or
    health crises. Again, often there are reasonably good social networks there to help the
    struggling. I have a cousin who lives in Rochester who recently was diagnosed with
    epilepsy. So at the same time she can't work, can't drive anywhere all of a sudden,
    she has new medical bills piling in. Her sister who is a nurse in Atlanta took a leave
    of absence from her job to care for her and has gone back her work in Atlanta. Just
    as sure as I am that my family didn't need the food pantry, I am sure there is a similar
    family that does. This is more likely in Detroit where incomes have fallen recently
    than in Oakland County where all areas have shown an income increase recently.
    Last edited by Dumpling; November-28-15 at 05:15 PM. Reason: appearance

https://www.gofundme.com/GCOur_HOME

This was one place cited by the OP. Their situation is well described in the
    page and can be checked against the poverty map I linked to. Mind, if your
    finances are not in good shape, or you can't volunteer for whatever reason,
    your well wishes, prayers, and understanding are sufficient.

From University of Michigan Institute for Social Research:

http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/pubs/abs/9825

[[It looks as though it should read "300,000 children").
    Last edited by Dumpling; November-28-15 at 10:44 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    https://www.gofundme.com/GCOur_HOME

This was one place cited by the OP. Their situation is well described in the
    page and can be checked against the poverty map I linked to. Mind, if your
    finances are not in good shape, or you can't volunteer for whatever reason,
    your well wishes, prayers, and understanding are sufficient.

From University of Michigan Institute for Social Research:

http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/pubs/abs/9825

[[It looks as though it should read "300,000 children").
    They mention in that article that they left St. Dunstan's after it closed. Yet, prior to that, they serviced folks from Dearborn and Inkster, as well. There was a change up for clientele sign-up location based on where one resides [[most pantries do this-though almost any Catholic Parish Pantry will let you have "one free" one one time only, even if you are not from that area), but any clients signed up prior to the move, were allowed to still receive services at the new location. This means plenty of Inkster residents are still receiving services from them. It is also located in the Maplewood Senior Center [[connected to the only library Garden City has-something they are hoping to change with enough funds). Therefor, they attract more and more Seniors in need.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Vic and Lowell are right. I just want folks to wisely give without bragging [[or putting me in the position to do likewise). No oversized checks-just doing the work that never gets done and may go even unnoticed and unthanked [[often times cursed). Even if it's just Vets helping Vets [[or seniors helping seniors, etc.).-and yes, I believe in no "lost causes".
    I thought it was a good reminder. Thanks for posting this.

The braggarts truly get nothing. That's one of my favorite scriptures from Christ of the new testament. Just do it. Talk less, give more where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Or as Hey-soos sez in Matthew 6...

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
    so that your giving may be in secret."

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The braggarts truly get nothing. That's one of my favorite scriptures from Christ of the new testament. Just do it. Talk less, give more where possible.
    Letting others know what charities need help is a good thing. Some of the ones mentioned above may not be obvious to everyone.

Yes, I agree with you fully. I not mean bragging in that context.