Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Enough celebrity worship for pete's sake

ok, I can understand the whole jacko bit -- he was a huge star and just died. but all the fuss over the anniversary of when a photo was taken for an album cover? for crying out loud, that is just absurd.

yes, the Beatles were the most significant band in the history of pop, but this kind of idol worship is just plain daft

Better than the Beatles:
    the Stones
    the Band
    Dylan
    Buffalo Springfield
    Pink Floyd
    the Clash
    Jimi
    Cream
    every version of the Yardbirds
    just for starters

I could care less about any of those people, but others DO have the right to worship whoever or whatever they desire to.

Better than the Beatles:
    the Stones - Possibly. But their first hit was written by Lennon/McCartney, so that's not a great start in this debate, you know?

the Band - No. I love the Band, but they were not as a whole better than the Beatles.

Dylan - Talk about overrated.

Buffalo Springfield - No way.

Pink Floyd - Possibly, but Waters only knows two basslines and puts them in every song. Plus certain albums in their discography are absolute filth with zero redeeming qualities. See Ummagumma Studio album.

the Clash - Obviously.

Jimi - A great guitarist, he and his band are not better than the Beatles. His songwriting was often iffy and his vocals were questionable.

Cream - Great if you like white guy blues rock.

every version of the Yardbirds - See "Cream".

JUST MY OPINION of course.

ok, I can understand the whole jacko bit -
    I couldn't. That was too much for too long.

BTW, I didn't even hear peep one about this album cover fuss, so it can't even compare to the Michael Jackson thing. I had to Google it with Bing to find out what you meant.

Another band that is better than the Beatles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86ph2Sd0iI

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Another band that is better than the Beatles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86ph2Sd0iI
    A legend that will last a lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Cream - Great if you like white guy blues rock.

every version of the Yardbirds - See "Cream"
    I like white guy blues/rock

I should also have included Elmore James and Hank Williams [[the first) and Leadbelly

oh well, it was a start

I will say that the Beatles' engineer [[Geoff Emerick [[sp?)) was one of the best iof all time [[and no, it wasn't "just" because of the Beatles -- many of his techniques were used first on other recordings)

Guess I misunderstood the title of this thread. I was about to agree, and ask: "where do I sign?".
    Then, more lists of celebrities appeared and contributors began arguing "who's better?"

I enjoy the music of most on the list. I do not worship any of them. They are people, just like you and I.

Peace to all....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Guess I misunderstood the title of this thread. I was about to agree, and ask: "where do I sign?".
    Then, more lists of celebrities appeared and contributors began arguing "who's better?"

I enjoy the music of most on the list. I do not worship any of them. They are people, just like you and I.

Peace to all....
    A friendly conversation on what sort of music one likes or not is a lot different than celebrity worshipping. I don't see where the thread contradicts the title.

Fair enough.
    Like I said, I must have misunderstood...

my original intent was really to throw out the whole notion of "best ever" that creates the celeb worship, hence the listing of people I think are better than the near-deified few. no one deserves THAT much adoration

you can always get into "most influential" but then, is a band that is arguably the most influential in history - the beatles - really more influential than Buddy Holly and the Crickets, who greatly influenced them, since all those people influenced by the beatles are getting influenced at second hand by the crickets, and so on and so on

ccbatson Guest

One name...Art Tatum. A best ever if there ever was one.

Default America's Over Success Obsession

Rb, I think what you're really trying to say is you don't like the Beatles. I never did either. But Hank Williams Sr. better than the Beatles? The guy had like three notable songs and when he sang it sounded like someone was standing on his junk. I always looked upon the Beatles as the original "Boy Band". Cute kids, music sucked.

Quote: "One name...Art Tatum. A best ever if there ever was one."

Tatum was phenomenal, the man could bang one out. Best? That's a tough call.

ccbatson Guest

Technically, I am not aware of any pianist who can even pretend to impersonate him successfully.

Batts, I heard years ago he taught himself to play by emulating a player piano. And it was found out later the rolls for the player piano were actually a recording of two people playing on the same keyboard. Hence his acquired speed. Ever heard that?

ccbatson Guest

I had read about his formative years. I had never heard anything regarding him "cheating" as you describe. In fact, recordings of head to head "contests" between him and Fats Waller provide some evidence contrary to that allegation.

Quote: "I had never heard anything regarding him "cheating""

How would any method learning to play be "cheating"?

It was just something I heard about 35 years ago. Maybe urban legend.

Well I just did a search and found this:

""A remarkable prodigy, Tatum learned to play by copying piano roll recordings his mother owned, playing by ear by the age of three. Tatum would learn both parts of a piece for four hands by feeling the keys depressed on the piano. By the age of six he was able to play songs originally performed as duets, unaware that there were supposed to be two players.""

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Art_Tatum

ccbatson Guest

My error, I thought you were implying that he was superimposing his playing on top of the player piano roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Rb, I think what you're really trying to say is you don't like the Beatles. I never did either. But Hank Williams Sr. better than the Beatles? The guy had like three notable songs and when he sang it sounded like someone was standing on his junk. I always looked upon the Beatles as the original "Boy Band". Cute kids, music sucked.
    hank has dozens of songs that have been coverred by artists in every genre [[yes, even rap) and one of his songs was a hit a few years back for some corporate fake r&b diva too

beatles far from sucked. I just hate idol worship