Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I'll help those that can't help themselves [[i.e. too dumb to use Google)

# of Parking Spaces - Shut Park to Vehicles - Time to Set-Up/TearDown

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...say/651354002/
    It could be argued it is dumb to use Google.

A shutdown based on overcrowding due to the race festivities hasn't taken place since vehicles on the island are confined to law enforcement and staff, with spectators arriving primarily via shuttle bus, said Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw, who added the Grand Prix "had nothing to do with our decision" to close Monday.

I see now why the big push,because the contract is up for renewal,but no offer has been presented,so you do not even know if they are even going to continue to race there.

So it is a "just in case " debate ?
    Last edited by Richard; July-18-18 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I guess it's better to play then to be. Why is it when someone doesn't have a point to make, they start throwing irrelevant items into the mix hoping to hit one?
    Calling someone else dumb while both being dishonest as well as making a spelling error is on you.

NOT everyone near Detroit is a gearhead, car aficionado, grease monkey,
    UAW worker, tied to an automotive supplier, or a racing fan.

Yes, that amounts to a whole lot of people who don't care for the Pricks !
    [[pun fully intended)
    You almost covered all the bases but you conveniently forgot to mention people that want the city/region to have special events as well as some positive media coverage.

I did cover the Facts with a major Newspaper article citing
    -- the Belle Isle parking space number is set at 3500
    -- it's the only beach nearby downtown Detroit
    -- a number of residents argue the race limited their park usage

Now if you have a problem directly with me - so be it
    Many think the race screws up Summer on the Isle, not just 1 person.

NOT fact checking, speaking out of ones ass, is dumb.
    With a massively powerful quick search tool, it's easy to blow apart fake shit.

Esteban DetroitYES Member -- posts about Grand Prix -- then Disappears

Last edited by O3H; July-18-18 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Do you like anything or anyone...much less attend any kind of events for fun?
    My version of "fun" certainly isn't sitting next to a giant roadway, baking/aging in the sun, getting my ears blasted out and sucking up pollution, all for the "honor" of watching a bunch of geezers drive around in circles.

Calling someone else dumb while both being dishonest as well as making a spelling error is on you.
    HT, surely you aren't that dense...

HT, so when all else fails, now you’re just going to play dumb?

Physician, heal thyself.

I don't know what to do about "spelling errors", but you seem tense. Go spend some time @ your favorite clube.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-19-18 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I was responding to the post above mine.

RE: not everybody is a gearhead.

My intent was not everybody is or could be said about everything but,the whole something for everybody goes into the bigger picture.
    I have nothing against auto racing. I've built, owned, and raced cars. That isn't the point. The point is Belle Isle is a public park, in a populated neighborhood, that's been commandeered by an individual in cahoots with the State, been turned into a racetrack, and is severely limiting access for the people it was intended for, and this is being done for profit. Why doesn't Penske run his race by his house in Bloomfield Hills? Bloomfield Park is available. You'd see the same people protesting that now show up @ these Belle Isle State "meetings" in favor of the track on Belle Isle.

HT, I can’t wait to see what fake controversy tenses you up next! How can an island in the middle of a river be “in a populated neighborhood”? Also, Bloomfield Park is a soon-to-be populated shopping center, so obviously it’s not available. Again, what’s up with all the dishonesty?

Bham, the average age of Indy Drivers is younger than you. It’s about 30, so not sure how that qualifies as “geezers”.

Someone doesn't read much, doesn't see the forest for the trees.

Most folks could get over a weekend event on the Isle.
    It's when it takes over the Spring and Start of Summer
    well into mid summer that people start to make a fuss.

Bham, the average age of Indy Drivers is younger than you. It’s about 30, so not sure how that qualifies as “geezers”.
    The dudes I see clogging up Woodward the entire month of August, and "blessing" my neighborhood with garbage, piss and barf are "about 30" and Indy drivers? Could have fooled me.

I'd say average age is around 70 and no one has seen a professional racetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The dudes I see clogging up Woodward the entire month of August, and "blessing" my neighborhood with garbage, piss and barf are "about 30" and Indy drivers? Could have fooled me.

I'd say average age is around 70 and no one has seen a professional racetrack.
    So you’re just going to change the subject from the age of Indy drivers to Woodward Dream Cruise drivers and hope no one notices? Again, why are the detractors of the BI Indy Race being so dishonest about the matter?

So you’re just going to change the subject from the age of Indy drivers to Woodward Dream Cruise drivers and hope no one notices? Again, why are the detractors of the BI Indy Race being so dishonest about the matter?
    No, I'm gonna keep to the exact same conversation, and hope you [[and apparently others) have the ability to actually read and comprehend posts.

I might be asking too much, though.

For those that forgot how this all started :

The Facebook admin for "Belle Isle Aquarium, friends of" received a fair amount of traffic from people vehemently objecting to the public disruption on Belle Isle by the annual Grand Prix during the summer.

A Facebook Forum was started "Belle Isle: Park or Racetrack?" in an attempt to rally the citizenry in order to have the Grand Prix moved to another location.

Even the DETROIT NEWS got involved in reporting about it:
    https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/...prix/28562219/

""
    Complaints from visitors about the Grand Prix's impact have been racking up,
    specifically related to the three-month build-up/tear-down apparently required
    to hold the event, the damage to some lawns, the installation of permanent concrete pads
    in the race area, and barricaded roadways that render parts of the island
    off-limits to the public.
    The latter, especially, rubs a lot of park visitors the wrong way,
    even considering the substantial public infrastructure investments
    made by race organizers
    .""

Just in case some fake ghost poster wants to claim otherwise

Last edited by O3H; July-19-18 at 04:47 PM.

For those that forgot how this all started :

The Facebook admin for "Belle Isle Aquarium, friends of" received a fair amount of traffic from people vehemently objecting to the public disruption on Belle Isle by the annual Grand Prix during the summer.

A Facebook Forum was started "Belle Isle: Park or Racetrack?" in an attempt to rally the citizenry in order to have the Grand Prix moved to another location.

Even the DETROIT NEWS got involved in reporting about it:
    https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/...prix/28562219/

""
    Complaints from visitors about the Grand Prix's impact have been racking up,
    specifically related to the three-month build-up/tear-down apparently required
    to hold the event, the damage to some lawns, the installation of permanent concrete pads
    in the race area, and barricaded roadways that render parts of the island
    off-limits to the public.
    The latter, especially, rubs a lot of park visitors the wrong way,
    even considering the substantial public infrastructure investments
    made by race organizers
    .""

Just in case some fake ghost poster wants to claim otherwise

This whole thing just gets more and more sketchy. Citing a Facebook group and then trying to pass off a Detroit Free Press opinion piece as Detroit News reporting...

Town Cluber representing one human ---- against the masses
    Can he win, will he win, with his claims of fake news, fake sketchy facts
    His zero fact checking, shoot from the cuff, misses all the marks, failure

What else ya' got Town Cluber , it is a discussion afterall, bring it .

If you want to go after Nancy Kaffer, here is her bio :

Detroit Free Press Columnist
    Dates Employed Sept 2012 – Present
    Employment Duration 5 yrs 11 mos

Crain's Detroit Business Reporter
    Dates Employed Feb 2008 – Sep 2012
    Employment Duration 4 yrs 8 mos

Hattiesburg American Reporter
    Dates Employed Apr 2006 – Sep 2007
    Employment Duration 1 yr 6 mos

Metro Times Reporter
    Dates Employed Jan 2005 – Dec 2005
    Employment Duration 12 months

Last edited by O3H; July-19-18 at 07:36 PM.

Town Cluber representing one human ---- against the masses
    Can he win, will he win, with his claims of fake news, fake sketchy facts
    His zero fact checking, shoot from the cuff, misses all the marks, failure
    Detroit Grand Prix = 20 years on Belle Isle, record number of sponsors [[75), record attendance this year [[105,000), largest Indy racing tv viewership other than Indy 500 two years in a row [[1.68 million), record social media reach

So it’s actually YOU against the masses!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Belle Isle is over 700 acres and the race roughly impacts a third of the island...
    10% to 20% does not equal 1/3.

Fake race, fake drivers, and few really cares who wins
    2019 remains up in the air, perhaps no race at all on Belle Isle

It's now in the hands of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
    Public comments, questions and feedback will be accepted
    via email at DNR-GrandPrix-Proposal@michigan.gov through Aug. 2, 2019

Looks like in 2019 , everyone gets 60 days back - since the race won't happen
    Last edited by O3H; July-19-18 at 10:53 PM.

10% to 20% does not equal 1/3.
    So everything west of the conservatory is now 10%? It might be time to consult a map.

Detroit Grand Prix = 20 years on Belle Isle, record number of sponsors [[75), record attendance this year [[105,000), largest Indy racing tv viewership other than Indy 500 two years in a row [[1.68 million), record social media reach

So it’s actually YOU against the masses!
    Belle Isle draws 4 million a year which breaks down to roughly 11k each day on the island. Apply that to the proposed 67 days of setup and you have 737,000 visitors impacted by the setup. But sure, the 105,000 the event draws is cool...

Record attendance is just 105,000???? That's literally two events at Ford Field.

Belle Isle draws 4 million a year which breaks down to roughly 11k each day on the island. Apply that to the proposed 67 days of setup and you have 737,000 visitors impacted by the setup. But sure, the 105,000 the event draws is cool...
    ~1,700,000 [[workers, attendees, viewers) would miss out on a Detroit event by not having the Grand Prix versus 737,000 [[assuming every person was somehow impacted just by being on the island).

The biggest hurdle that detractors have to overcome is trying to take away a 20 year old event that far more people like than dislike. To put it in perspective, that the group behind this effort had 5 people at their first protest and about a dozen at another one.

~1,700,000 [[workers, attendees, viewers) would miss out on a Detroit event by not having the Grand Prix versus 737,000 [[assuming every person was somehow impacted just by being on the island).

The biggest hurdle that detractors have to overcome is trying to take away a 20 year old event that far more people like than dislike. To put it in perspective, that the group behind this effort had 5 people at their first protest and about a dozen at another one.
    Damn the number does look huge when you toss in the television audience. Not at all dishonest, right? Help me out here, how much of that laughably small worldwide audience of 1.68 million ever set foot in Detroit? How does a niche group of racing fans who likely will never visit Detroit much less Belle Isle benefit the park and the people of Detroit?

I suspect Town Cluber doesn't have POP in his glass
    ""Home is where we say pop instead of soda""

Damn the number does look huge when you toss in the television audience. Not at all dishonest, right? Help me out here, how much of that laughably small worldwide audience of 1.68 million ever set foot in Detroit? How does a niche group of racing fans who likely will never visit Detroit much less Belle Isle benefit the park and the people of Detroit?
    Yeah, it’s real dishonest to point out that people can’t watch a race if it doesn’t happen. It’s far more dishonest to imply that 737,000 people on Belle Isle all wanted to go to the exact spot of the Grand Prix.

Speaking of “the people of Detroit”, why is it that many of the detractors of the event aren’t even from Detroit and/or aren’t representative of the majority demographic of this city?
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; July-20-18 at 11:26 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast