Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Grand Prix on Belle Isle?

Hi,

Couldn't find a search engine on the site, so I hope I am not repeating what someone has already addressed.
    I'm the Facebook admin for "Belle Isle Aquarium, friends of" and I'm getting a fair amount of traffic from people vehemently objecting to the public disruption on Belle Isle by the annual Grand Prix during the summer.

Name:  no grand prix.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  60.4 KB

Renowned Photographer Skip Davis and writer Sandra Novacek have created a FB forum, "Belle Isle: Park or Racetrack?" in an attempt to rally the citizenry in order to have the Grand Prix moved to another location.
    The Belle Isle Advisory Committee is meeting this Thursday, November 19th from 9-11 am at the Outdoor Adventure Center 1801 Atwater in Detroit, and there is a move afoot to protest the Grand Prix on Belle Isle at this time.

The Free Press has also touched on the subject in the recent past.

Racing GOOD been there long time.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    Hi,

Couldn't find a search engine on the site, so I hope I am not repeating what someone has already addressed.
    I'm the Facebook admin for "Belle Isle Aquarium, friends of" and I'm getting a fair amount of traffic from people vehemently objecting to the public disruption on Belle Isle by the annual Grand Prix during the summer.

Name:  no grand prix.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  60.4 KB

Renowned Photographer Skip Davis and writer Sandra Novacek have created a FB forum, "Belle Isle: Park or Racetrack?" in an attempt to rally the citizenry in order to have the Grand Prix moved to another location.
    The Belle Isle Advisory Committee is meeting this Thursday, November 19th from 9-11 am at the Outdoor Adventure Center 1801 Atwater in Detroit, and there is a move afoot to protest the Grand Prix on Belle Isle at this time.

The Free Press has also touched on the subject in the recent past.

I wish you people would give it a rest and devote your energy to some other constructive activity. There are plenty of other locations you can adopt that need actual help and everyone would be better served as a result. The subject has been beaten to death in multiple threads and most people are sick of hearing about it.

And priceless face to face meeting with people like MARIO
    I think there should be free tent camping all weekend for race fans................................

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by black gold man; November-18-15 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    I wish you people would give it a rest and devote your energy to some other constructive activity. There are plenty of other locations you can adopt that need actual help and everyone would be better served as a result. The subject has been beaten to death in multiple threads and most people are sick of hearing about it.
    What people are sick of are hearing from DB's like you, who don't live here, don't contribute, but conveniently use the forum to hear themselves talk.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    And priceless face to face meeting with people like MARIO
    I think there should be free tent camping all weekend for race fans................................

Priceless? For a few bucks Mario would sign your shorts.

He should had lost his life here, this in his retirement.

Bummer.....

I got him to sign my shirt . It brought a tear to his eye.

Default Race is no benefit to Detroit

Detroit has no revenue benefit from the races on Belle Isle.
    See the following:

Revenue contract from Penske to city recreation dept.
    $150,000 2012
    $175,000 2013
    $200,000 2014
    Expenditure contract from DPW to “improve circuit" track on Belle Isle
    $225,000 2012
    $150,000 2013
    $150,000 2014
    Total expenditure by Detroit =$525,000
    Total revenue from Penske=$525,000

Michigan MDOT spent over 4 million dollars [[our money) on the circuit improvements on Belle Isle.
    Why should the people of Michigan foot the bill for a race track for a billionaire?
    Also, last weekend there were drag races on Belle Isle next to the fountain by a group of muscle car fans.
    This park used to be tranquil, peaceful. but not any more. When these car clubs find they can do wheelies and donuts on The Belle Isle Raceway, it is no longer the people's park!

I'd quit listening to the handful of loud protestors and listen to the thousands of Michigan/Detroit residents who show up for the races.

This is one of those things where the people against it are going to complain loudly. The people who aren't against or are for it do nothing. So you only hear the people against it.

I don't think people objected as much until they started changing the aesthetics of the park.

As for this comment by Detroitboy:

"I wish you people would give it a rest and devote your energy to some other constructive activity. There are plenty of other locations you can adopt that need actual help and everyone would be better served as a result."

It's funny how this exact argument could be made by the protesters, the irony...

I mean why cant Penske develop a location that "needs actual help"? Because last time I checked the Isle is a state park now and there is an expectation the park will be rehabbed regardless of a race taking place. The race used to take place on city streets in the past anyways...

I paid $9 to visit the Isle from out of state, a real steal on a Saturday considering for around $40[[parking/donations) we entered the island, went to the aquarium and conservatory. Spent a few hours. Had that race been going on I wouldn't have set foot anywhere near the place.

It just seems antiquated to have the thing in what is essentially a nature preserve. I was actually embarrassed regarding the concrete jungle upon entering, reason being I had some first timers on the Isle. I quickly explained the work of Penske on some parts.

As for the aquarium and conservatory, they are kind of magical in feel...

Ugh! This smarmy ad is almost as annoying as the Grand Prix itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    most people are sick of hearing about it.
    Sorry, but we obviously move in different circles. This issue is NOT going away, and as you will see in the coming Grand Prix season on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What people are sick of are hearing from DB's like you, who don't live here, don't contribute, but conveniently use the forum to hear themselves talk.
    Sorry, mate. I might be a ghost at this point, but I have walked the walk for thirty plus years in Detroit, and I'm not going to be bullied into silence by the likes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    ...you only hear the people against it.
    Oh, I think you might see that change for the next Belle Isle Grand Prix season.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post

Also, last weekend there were drag races on Belle Isle next to the fountain by a group of muscle car fans.
    This park used to be tranquil, peaceful. but not any more. When these car clubs find they can do wheelies and donuts on The Belle Isle Raceway, it is no longer the people's park!
    You must not have been to Belle Isle long. That or you're trolling.

My bet is still on the Polski team.

Sorry, mate. I might be a ghost at this point, but I have walked the walk for thirty plus years in Detroit, and I'm not going to be bullied into silence by the likes of you.
    HT was responding to Detroit Boy's post.

Right message, wrong poster..... I've been here for 64, you still have a ways to go. Nice meeting you.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    Detroit has no revenue benefit from the races on Belle Isle.
    See the following:

Revenue contract from Penske to city recreation dept.
    $150,000 2012
    $175,000 2013
    $200,000 2014
    Expenditure contract from DPW to “improve circuit" track on Belle Isle
    $225,000 2012
    $150,000 2013
    $150,000 2014
    Total expenditure by Detroit =$525,000
    Total revenue from Penske=$525,000

Michigan MDOT spent over 4 million dollars [[our money) on the circuit improvements on Belle Isle.
    Why should the people of Michigan foot the bill for a race track for a billionaire?

That is not showing the revenue streams of the visitors,they have to eat,sleep,relax at other entertainment venues.What would those numbers be?

What is the impact of the side effect of having a world class race in the city that brings recognition and maybe international tourist dollars to the city?

Is the race everyday? or how many days out of the 365 days in a year? Is there a contract that says every citizen is entitled to 365 days out of the year on the island?

Is there a contract that says only a percentage of the population is allowed their choice of entertainment as long as the other percentage okays it?

I do not like red cars,I think I will go to change dot org and start a petition to eliminate the production of red cars,because the world revolves around me and it needs to suit only my wants and needs.

I like the races in St. Petersburg,they are run on the streets and can be viewed from the balconies of the loose term of high rise but it is a fun day and is a part of the cities history.

That would probably be even cooler in Detroit because they do have actual high rises but by the way people talk about the condition of the roads,maybe not so feasible?

This rap music really has to go also.

It would be one thing if the Grand Prix were just that weekend and a week before and after to set things up and take them down.... but setup and takedown take at least a month each....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It would be one thing if the Grand Prix were just that weekend and a week before and after to set things up and take them down.... but setup and takedown take at least a month each....
    Wow,in order to run it in St Petersburg which is a city albeit much smaller then Detroit,they are shutting down half of the city in the process,within a day or even hours after the race the city is back open.

Same race.No way they could shut the city down for two month's,even when it was in Miami it was quick set up take down.

Maybe it would be a compromise to move it downtown,but then it would involve dissatisfaction there also,or maybe some other compromise that does not involve such a in your face approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I agree totally, I really dont mind the race and reasonable prep/takedown time, its just recently they have recently extended these periods, I hear they are now exercising the full option of several months prep time, its sad to see such a large portion of the park occupied this way.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast