Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Broadway Market

Default Broadway Market

Does anyone remember going to the Broadway Market at Grand River and Broadway? I would go there with my Mom in the 60's and loved going there.

It was a great place to walk for lunch. You could grab a sandwich from a different shop every time. Lots of hubbub and things to do.

In the 60's I worked at Good Housekeeping which was on Library & Grand River [[I think the building is a Cuban restaurant now) We used to cut through the back of the store and go to Broadway Mkt. You could get everything there. I bought my first Dream Book there for the numbers [[I still have it), corned beef sandwiches, and a bag of chicken feet for my grandfather. Everything was there and if it wasn't all you had to do was cross the street and go to Paul's Cut Rate Drugs. Thinking back I think before it was Paul's it was a Wrigley Supermarket. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; November-17-15 at 10:45 PM.

As I remember, the Broadway market was lost in a fire. What year did that happen? I can remember seeing the blackened ruins, but forget the year.

For the times we drove downtown, my mother had a favorite pay parking lot just west of the Broadway Market. When we finished with Hudson's [[my mother was an all day shopper), we would stop at the Broadway to get some pasties for Sunday morning breakfast [[and something to eat in the car on the way home).

My 92 year old great aunt has described to me her trips to the market when working downtown at the Buhl for many years. It's always sounded like a great place -- too bad it was lost.

In the late '60s and early '70s, it was a favorite for lunch by the DPD members who worked downtown. I think it was the world's largest deli! The odor was to die for. Sigh.

Thanks for memories, a corned beef sandwich on rye with a kosher pickle. The deli was Lefkosky's. Later they moved to another location on Broadway.