Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz du Jour

A key to success in these puzzles are picking up on Quizzmaster Bheka's hinting style.

Join in as I do an occasional hint analysis for score improvement.

I can give you a starting tip too. My good friend and our quiz-creator Bheka Pierce is a writer and literature expert originally from Boston and, like us Detroiters, is consequently a die-hard homer. See no. 11 above. Like a pitcher with a slight twitch before throwing a curve, watch for New England / Boston-leaning tipoffs.

Hint Analysis for Nov 28 above:
    Three categories
    1. Whaaaat? [Huh? I have no idea. Do you? Tell me.]
    2. Got it! [And how I got it. How did you?]
    3. Coulda/Shoulda? [Idea for where no hint was offered or offer your alternative where one exists.]

Whaaaaat? Huh? I had no clue. [Answers] were added later.

4. Hint: Western saloon keeper.
    A. William Blake [As in Amanda Blake > Miss Kitty the saloon-keiper of > TV Show Gunsmoke fame

7. Hint: Wren Church
    A. Paul Schaffer [Wren as in Christopher Wren architect of St. Paul's cathedral in London]

6. Hint: It’s all his own work.
    D. Randy Newman [As in Paul Newman and his own line of condiments. A bit too obscure for me.]

Got it! [And how I got it. How did you?]

Hint: Babe the Blue Ox
    B. John Bunyan
    Easy for us in Lumber staters like Michigan who know the mythical giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan and his ox.

Hint: Calif. Gold Rush.
    D. Claude Lévi-Strauss
    Levi Strauss [no hyphen] who made his fortune selling denim jeans to gold rush miners

Hint: Wilbur Post’s horse.
    D. Ed Harris
    From the TV show Mr. Ed – the talking horse. Coulda/Shoulda Alternative? “A horse is horse of course, of course.”

Coulda / Shoulda? [Idea for where no hint was offered or offer your alternative where one exists.]

8. Potluck: After Eve and Adam ate the apple, God kicked them out of Paradise and sent them where?
    C. East
    Coulda / Shoulda? hint: “James Dean & Julie Harris”

1. Hint: An all-around genius born 3 years before Shakespeare who wrote all Shakespeare’s plays for him.
    A. Henry Bacon
    ^Come on… One to a be a literature geek for this one. I only got this because I vaguely knew it and knew they were contemporaries. For those of us in the masses my coulda/shoulda? is Hint: "six degrees of separation”

29 November

P1. Art/Culture: Who painted The Scream? Hint: Judy Flowers and cowardly Bert.
    A. Camille Pissarro B. Paul Cezanne C. Paul Gauguin D. Edvard Munch

2. Geography: Which continent has the most independent states? Hint: Great Rift Valley
    A. Africa B. Asia C. Europe D. South America

P3. History/Politics: Born of European and African ancestry in New Haven in 1908, he was a U.S.
    Representative from New York from 1941 to 1971. He was a powerful and eloquent spokesman
    For African American causes in Harlem and nationwide. Hint: Chairman Joints Chief of Staff
    A. Edward Brooke B. Louis Stokes C. Bobby Rush D. Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

4. Language: “Ah, yes, I wrote the Purple Cow— / I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it; / But I can tell you anyhow
    / I'll Kill you if you Quote it!” Hint: Somerset Maugham The [Something’s] Edge, sort of.
    A. Gelett Burgess B. Ogden Nash C. Edward Lear D. Colin West

P5. Literature: Born in Philadelphia in 1832, her most famous novel, Little Women, is set at her home,
    Orchard House, in Concord, Massachusetts. This novel contains one of best and wisest lines in all
    literature: “Love is a great beautifier.” Hint: Her dad was no slouch, either.
    A. Louisa May Alcott B. Phyllis Putnam C. Una Hawthorne D. Lucy Channing

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, in 1917, he would make most people’s 100
    best country singers. He has a guitar picking style named after him. He wrote: “You load sixteen
    tons and what do get, another day older and the deeper in debt.” Hint: Have Richard Boone.
    A. Merle Travis B. Merle Haggard C. Hank Williams D. Wayland Jennings

P7. People: Born in the Bronx in 1927, he did 2 years in the navy and started doing student broadcasting
    at Fordham. After that, he was the Dodgers announcer for just about forever. “You can almost
    taste the pressure now.” Hint: You wash and I’ll dry, sort of.
    A. Red Barber B. Harry Kalas C. Curt Gowdy D. Vin Scully

P8. Potluck: Born in Connecticut in 1799, this educator found new ways to interact with students, using
    a conversational approach, and rejecting traditional forms of punishment. He was also a vegan,
    an abolitionist, and an early advocate of women’s rights. He was a Transcendentalist friend with
    Ralph Waldo Emerson. His daughters were also pretty sharp. Hint: Friend of the kingfisher.
    A. Amos Bronson Alcott B. George Putnam C. Nathaniel Hawthorne D. William Ellery Channing

9. Quotations: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”
    A. Yogi Berra B. Woody Allen C. Dorothy Parker D. George Bush

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Salzburg in 1903, this mathematician and physicist explained that
    the frequency of a sound wave depends on the relative speed of the source and the observer.
    He explained why a fire engine siren sounds different once it passes you. Hint: Edema, sort of.
    A. John Bardeen B. Arthur Compton C. Christian Doppler D. Enrico Fermi

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Panama City in 1969, he was a relief pitcher for the Yankees, their closer, for
    19 years during which he became the Major League leader in saves [[652) and games finished
    [[952). He won the Rolaids Relief Award 5 times and had a 2.21 ERA.
    A. Dennis Eckersley B. Goose Gossage C. Mariano Rivera D. Francisco Rodriguez

P12. Stage/Screen: Born near Minneapolis in 1954, he and his brother have directed lots of great flicks,
    including Fargo, No Country for Old Men, True Grit, and Bridge of Spies. Hint: To make a phrase.
    A. David Lynch B. Billy Wilder C. Mike Nichols D. Joel Coen

P13. Extra Credit: What was given on the fourth day of Christmas?
    A. Turtle doves B. French hens C. Golden rings D. Calling birds

Answers: 1D; 2A; 3D; 4A; 5A; 6A; 7D; 8A; 9A; 10C; 11C; 12D; 13D

Whaaaat? hints answers for Nov. 28 provided by Bheka...

4. Hint: Western saloon keeper.
    A. William Blake
    You should shot! Gunsmoke! Kitty—Amanda Blake.

7. Hint: Wren Church
    A. Paul Schaffer
    You should definitely be shot! Saint Paul’s cathedral.

6. Hint: It’s all his own work.
    D. Randy Newman
    Go to your grocery store! Newman’s Own.

Deciphering the hints for Nov. 29 above.

Additionally selected hints will be awarded between 1 and 4 groans for their subtlety and humor.

Whaaat? I don’t get it.
    P1. Hint: Judy Flowers and cowardly Bert.
    D. Edvard Munch
    Whaaat? or was this supposed to be about Judy Garland and the munchkins?

P5. Hint: Her dad was no slouch, either.
    A. Louisa May Alcott
    I knew this one but have no idea where the hint was leading unless it was to be discovered further down when her father is the answer to number 8?

Got it!
    2. Hint: Great Rift Valley
    A. Africa
    Fairly well-known geography as the likely cradle of homo sapiens and other hominids.

P3. Hint: Chairman Joints Chief of Staff
    D. Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.
    As in Colin Powell

4. Hint: Somerset Maugham The [Something’s] Edge, sort of.
    A. Gelett Burgess
    That would be The Razor’s Edge > Razor > Gillette Razors > Gelett [3 groans]

P6. Hint: Have Richard Boone.
    A. Merle Travis
    As in Richard Boone star of Have Gun will Travel > Travel > Travis get it? [3 groans]

P7. Hint: You wash and I’ll dry, sort of.
    D. Vin Scully
    As in scullery, the room where pots and dishes are washed in restaurant [2 groans]

P8. Hint: Friend of the kingfisher.
    A. Amos Bronson Alcott
    As in Kingfisher from the Amos and Andy Show. Also added was "His daughters were also pretty sharp." relating to no. 5

P12. Hint: To make a phrase.
    D. Joel Coen
    As in to “Coin a phrase” [3 groans]

Coulda / Shoulda? for where no hint was offered
    9. Quotations: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”
    A. Yogi Berra
    Coulda / Shoulda? Jellystone?

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Panama City in 1969, he was a relief pitcher for the Yankees, their closer, for 19 years during which he became the Major League leader in saves [[652) and games finished[[952). He won the Rolaids Relief Award 5 times and had a 2.21 ERA.
    C. Mariano Rivera
    Coulda / Shoulda? Monaco?

30 November

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Mount Vernon, New York, in 1929, he was the iconic host of American
    Bandstand from 1956 to 1989, introducing America to rock and roll and helping make new stars
    who debuted on the show. Like Dorian Gray, he never got any older. Hint: Sacagawea
    A. Dick Clark B. Ed Sullivan C. Ted Mack D. Clark Kent

P2. Geography: In 1967, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto becomes the first chairman of his party. Where are we?
    A. India B. Nepal C. Pakistan D. Ceylon

P3. History/Politics: His American mother was Jennie Jerome. Born in Woodstock, UK, in 1874, he
    fought in the 2nd Boer War in South Africa. He won a Nobel for Literature. He was a talented
    amateur artist. Oh yeah, his courage and eloquence carried England through World War II.
    A. Clement Atlee B. Neville Chamberlain C. Winston Churchill D. Bernard Montgomery

P4. Language: Born in 1667 in Dublin, this major satirist gave us: yahoo, truism, Lilliputian, & modernism.
    Hint: “I’ll have a martini,” said Tom drily. “I wonder if this radium is hot,” said Marie curiously.
    A. Saki B. Jonathan Swift C. Samuel Butler D. Alexander Pope

P5. Literature: Born on Prince Edward Island in 1874, her mother died when she was a baby, and her
    dad gave custody to her maternal grandparents. She was lonely there, but for her imaginary
    friends. After several romantic attachments, she began in 1908 a series of novels about Anne
    Shirley, an orphan sent to live in a house called Green Gables. at Avonlea Hint: Airborne Circus.
    A. Doris Anderson B. Carole Shields C. L. M. Montgomery D. Marie Clair Blais

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Knoxville in 1915, a victim of polio at age 4, his uncle made him a guitar out
    of a tin marshmallow box. From 1942 to 1980, he teamed up with harmonica player Sonny Terry,
    giving blues lovers Walk On, Blowin’ the Fuses, Right on That Shore, and more. Hint: Box camera.
    A. Muddy Waters B. Howlin’ Wolf C. Brownie McGhee D. Big Bill Broonzy

P7. People: Four: one born in 1906 in Union Town, PA, wrote mysteries about detectives Dr. Fell and
    Sir Henry Merrivale; one born in Worcester, MA, in 1936, co-founded the Yippy Party; one born
    in Chicago in 1947 won a Pulitzer for the play Glengarry Glen Ross; and one—the one you need—
    born in Brooklyn in 1924 was a 7-term U.S, Representative. Hint: Old Roy Rogers song.
    A. Shirley Chisolm B. David Mamet C. Abbie Hoffman D. John Dickson Carr

P8. Potluck: Born in Oneglia, Italy, in 1466, orphaned at an early age, he became a soldier of fortune and
    eventually a successful and famous commander of the Genoese fleet, waging war on the Turks
    and Barbary pirates. Hint: A cruise ship named after him sank off Nantucket in 1956.
    A. Biagio Assereto B. Andrea Doria C. William Grassus D. Federico Spinola

P9. Quotations: Born in Florida, Missouri, in 1835, he wrote stories about a boy and a fence, a boy and a
    raft, and a boy leaning to be a pilot. 1. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 2. When angry,
    count to four; when very angry, swear. 3. When in doubt, tell the truth. Hint: I can’t fathom it.
    A. Herman Melville B. Nathaniel Hawthorn C. Mark Twain D. Henry Thoreau

P10. Science/Technology: In 1831, William H. Flower was born. What was he? Hint: Siegfried Farnon
    A. Botanist B. Ecologist C. Microbiologist D. Zoologist

P11. Sports/Games: What is the female equivalent of the men’s golf Ryder Cup? Hint: Sonny Terry.
    A. Walker Cup B. Solheim Cup C. Evian Championship D. ANA Inspirational

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in South Shield, England, in 1937, he has pursued an impressive career as the
    director of such movies as Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, and
    American Gangster. Three of those got him Oscar nominations. Hint: The Lady of the Lake.
    A. Francis Ford Coppola B. Ridley Scott C. Roman Polanski D. Robert Altman

P13. Extra Credit: By the way, who wrote The Picture of Dorian Gray? Hint: Gutter stars.
    A. Charles Dickens B. Arnold Bennett C. Henry James D. Oscar Wilde

Answers: 1A; 2C; 3C; 4B; 5C; 6C; 7A; 8B; 9C; 10D; 11B; 12B; 13D

Just time for Whaaaat? today.

Whaaaat? I don’t get these hints.

Hint: Airborne Circus.
    C. L. M. Montgomery

Hint: Siegfried Farnon
    D. Zoologist

Hint: Sonny Terry.
    B. Solheim Cup

later... UPDATE from Bheka...

Siegfriedfried Farnon is the vet in “All Things Bright and Beautiful”.

Solhiem Cup and Sonny Terry, two suns, as in the spring solstice or Costa de Sol.

This one you can be forgiven for if you hadn’t heard Oscar’s “We may be living in the gutter, but we are looking at the stars.”

Hint: Gutter stars.
    D. Oscar Wilde

1 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in France, in 1761, she worked as a housekeeper for a physician who made wax
    models to illustrate anatomy. She got pretty good at it herself! Voltaire was her first creation.
    A. Claude Cahun B. Camille Claudel C. Monique Mayère D. Marie Tussaud

P2. Geography: In 1955, Rosa Parks decides not to give up her bus seat to a white man. Where are we?
    A. Selma B. Montgomery C. Little Rock D. Memphis

P3. History/Politics: In 1824, Andrew Jackson gets the most popular votes [[41.4%), but only 99 of the
    131 electoral votes needed to win. Whom did the U.S. House eventually select to be President?
    A. John Quincy Adams B. Henry Clay C. William H. Crawford D. Andrew Jackson

4. Language: Born in 1847, known as the “Sweet Singer of Michigan”, she remains famous today as a
    creator of wonderfully bad poetry. Her poem Hattie House begins: “Come all kind friends,
    wherever you may be / Come listen to what I say, / It’s of a little girl that was pleasant to see,
    And she died while outdoors at play.” Hint: Actress in Still Alice, The Hours, Boogie Nights.
    A. Amanda McKittrick Ros B. Julia Ann Moore C. Gina Rinehart D. Sarah Binks

P5. Literature: Born of Quaker parents in Noblesville, Indiana, in 1886, he was the Kansas State spelling
    bee champion at age 13. Other than that, he is best remembered for writing 40 novellas featuring
    the detective Nero Wolfe and his assistant Archie Goodwin. Hint: British zymurgy product
    A. Rex Stout B. Robert Ludlum C. Elmore Leonard D. Ed McBain

P6. Music/Dance: Born in 1933, he “owned” The Star Spangled Banner. Hint: Cut ‘em out, ride ‘em in!
    A. James Brown B. Stevie Wonder C. Lou Rawls D. Smokey Robinson

P7. People: One at bat for the Cards, 23 years managing the Dodgers, 4 rings. Hint: Philly bridge.
    A. Walt Alston B. Clark Griffith C. Tommy Lasorda D. Casey Stengel

P8. Potluck: Born in Peoria in 1940, grew up in his grandmother’s brothel, he got his stand-up start at
    the Village Gate in 1963 performing along side young Bob Dylan and Nina Simone. Middlebrow
    humor gave way to his freewheeling variety. Comedy Central’s #1 stand-up comic all time.
    A. Eddie Murphy B. Bill Cosby C. Will Smith D. Richard Pryor

P9. Quotations: Born in the Bronx in 1935, this actor, comedian, writer, film director, has given us Annie
    Hall, Manhattan, and dozens more. 1. I’m not afraid of death, I just don’t want to be there when it
    happens. 2. My one regret in life is that I am not someone else. 3. Not only is there no God, but
    try finding a plumber on Sunday. 4. I failed to make the chess team because of my height.
    A. Woody Allen B. Mel Brooks C. Spike Lee D. Harry Ramis

P10. Science/Technology: In 1990, British and French diggers met in the Channel Tunnel, joining the
    2 countries for the first time in 8,000 years. By the way, how long is this tunnel? Hint: Sleeping
    locusts, heptadecaphobia, John Havlicek’s and Dizzy Dean’s number.
    A. 11 Miles B. 14 Miles C. 17 miles D. 21 Miles

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Dallas in 1939, he won 6 majors [[the U.S. Open, the Open, and PGA twice
    each.) He started as a caddie, was the Golf Digest Rookie of the Year in 1967. Asked what he’d do
    if caught out on the course in a storm: “Take out my 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.”
    A. Steve Ballestteros B. Greg Norman C. Johnny Miller D. Lee Trevino

P12. Stage/Screen: Four: one born in 1910 was an English ballerina and co-founder of the English
    National Ballet; one born in Ireland in 1946 had 16 top 40s in England; one born in Honolulu in
    1946 got an Oscar nomination for The Rose: and one—the one you need—born in Texas, in 1913,
    was Nellie Forbush in South Paific, Peter Pan on Broadway, and the mother of Larry Hagman;
    A. Bette Midler B. Mary Martin C. Gilbert O’Sullivan D. Alicia Markova

P13. Extra Credit: Who up there in this quiz made a fortune being a professional nebbish?
    A. Mel Brooks B. Woody Allen C. Will Smith D. Richard Pryor

Answers: 1D; 2B; 3A; 4B; 5A; 6C; 7A; 8D; 9A; 10C; 11D; 12B; 13B

2 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Paris in 1859, he was a Post-Impressionist painter who developed
    chromoluminarism and pointillism. His most famous painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of
    La Grande Jatte, which took 2 years to complete, is made from tiny juxtaposed dots that invite
    viewers to blend colors. Hint, sort of: The Spanish/Italian version of “Whatever will be, will be.”
    A. Camille Pissaro B. Henri Rosseau C. Georges Seurat D. Paul Cézanne

P2. Geography: Born sometime in 1485, Hernán Cortés de Monroy y Pizarro died on December 2, 1547.
    He is today remembered primarily for his conquest of what modern-day country?
    A. Cuba B. Honduras C. Mexico D. Venezuela

P3. History/Politics: Born in East Sussex, England, in 1694, he was the longest-serving governor of the
    Province of Massachusetts Bay [[1741 – 1749) and the brains behind the Siege of Louisbourg in
    Nova Scotia against the French. Hint: In Airplane, Rumack asks Pilot Striker not to call him what?
    A. William Bradford B. William Shirley C. Edward Winslow D. John Winthrop

4. Language: Born in Bagley, Iowa, in 1920, she flew planes and was one of those wonderful poets no one
    has ever heard of. The Old Lady Speaks: “Cry, cry for the sun is going down, I do not want to waste
    the sunlight sewing / buttons on.” Hint: T. S. Eliot’s peach or a daughters’ club.
    A. Adrienne Rich B. Djuna Barnes C. Louise Bogan D. Ann Darr

P5. Literature: After A Tale of Two Cities [[200 million), which book has sold the most? Hint: NBA Scotty
    A. Lord of the Rings B. The Little Prince C. Harry Potter & the Philosopher’s Stone D. Jaws

P6. Music/Dance: Born of Greek parents at Flower Hospital, Manhattan, in 1923, referred to in the opera
    world as La Divina, this soprano’s repertoire ranged from classical opera seria to the bel canto
    works of Donizetti, Bellini, Rossini, Verdi and Puccini. She could do it all. Hint: Guitar fingertips.
    A. Maria Callas B. Elena Soulitis C. Elizabeth Schwarzkopf D. Joan Sutherland

P7. People: Born in Reggio Calabria, Italy, in 1946, he developed an international fashion house not only
    for clothes, but also for accessories, perfumes, and cosmetics. Friends with singer icons, he linked
    his fashions to the music world. In 1997, he and his partner were murdered in Miami.
    A. Giorgio Armani B. Guccio Gucci C. Romeo Gigli D. Gianni Versace

P8. Potluck: Born in McGregor, Iowa, in 1863, he helped create and develop Sarasota, Florida. He and
    his six brothers got into the circus business, he concentrating on the production end of it. He was
    greatly loved and admired by his employees. Hint: Frodo Baggins.
    A. James Anthony Bailey B. P. T. Barnum C. Charles Ringling D. Frank Buck

P9. Quotations: As he crossed WHAT river, Julius Caesar said, “Alea iacta est,” “The die is cast.”?
    A. Tigris B. Euphrates C. Rubicon D. Rhine

P10. Science/Technology: In 1970, The Environmental Protection Agency was established, giving the
    feds the power to clean up pollution. Who was the President? Hint: Place for grain grinding.
    A. Lyndon B. Johnson B. Richard M. Nixon C. Gerald Ford D. Jimmy Carter

P11. Sports/Games: Born of Hungarian parents in 1973 in Yugoslavia, she was at 16 the youngest
    French Open champion. She won 8 Grand Slam titles all told, one of them two years after she was
    attacked and stabbed on court. She’s one of “30 Legends of Women’s Tennis”. Hint: A blue dress.
    A. Martina Hingis B. Monica Seles C. Anna Kournikova D. Daniela Hantuchova

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Michigan, in 1925, known for her memorable voice, she won a Tony as The
    Belle of Amherst. She played opposite James Dean in East of Eden. Hint: Barbara and Richard.
    A. Julie Christie B. Julie Harris C. Julie Newman D. Julie McNiven

P13. Extra Credit: Born in 1981, flamboyant singer/actress, Baby One More Time. Hint: Assegai
    A. Madonna B. Britney Spears C. Pam Anderson D. Janet Jackson

Answers: 1C; 2C; 3B; 4D; 5A; 6A; 7D; 8C; 9C; 10B; 11B; 12B; 13B

Hint Analysis for Dec. 2 - Don't read if you haven't done it...

Groaners
    Hint, sort of: The Spanish/Italian version of “Whatever will be, will be.”
    C. Georges Seurat
    As in Que Sera, Seurat. 2 groans for cleverness but too easy otherwise.

Hint: Guitar fingertips.
    A. Maria Callas
    [4 groans!] Callas is in calluses which all guitar players have on their fingertips of their string-stopping hands. Kind of an antonym for Callas’ great voice.

Hint: A blue dress.
    B. Monica Seles
    As in Monica Lewinsky’s blue dress. Earns 3 Groans for going from violence [Seles stabbing] to sex [POTUS BJ]

Hint: Assegai
    B. Britney Spears
    For geeks who have been to Swaziland and know of the famous spear that led to Zulu domination of pre-colonial southern Africa. Unfair to the rest. 1 groan.

Whaaaaat?
    Hint: In Airplane, Rumack asks Pilot Striker not to call him what?
    B. William Shirley
    Had no ideas, but guessed it had to be some macho thing - not liking to be called a girl’s name?

Hint: T. S. Eliot’s peach or a daughters’ club.
    D. Ann Darr
    Got the daughters’ club part > DAR > as in Daughters of the American Revolution, but what’s up with TS Eliot’s peach?

Hint: NBA Scotty
    A. Lord of the Rings
    Got this by the circles [rings] on the Basketball court but what does Scotty [Pippen?] have to do with it?

Hint: Place for grain grinding.
    B. Richard M. Nixon
    Knew this answer but have no idea on the hint.

Place for grain grinding-Mill Richard MILHOUS Nixon. Not surprised you missed this one

Quote Originally Posted by Farwell View Post
    Place for grain grinding-Mill Richard MILHOUS Nixon. Not surprised you missed this one
    You're right. It blew straight over my head!

Even so, with the hints and luck, I managed a rare 13/13 on this one.

Meanwhile Bheka the puzzle-master responded with that and the other ones...

*Groaners*
    Hint, sort of: The Spanish/Italian version of “Whatever will be, will be.”
    C. Georges Seurat
    As in Que Sera, Seurat. *2 groans* for cleverness but too easy otherwise.
    It’s Que sera, sera. But, yeah, a bit easy.

Hint: Guitar fingertips.
    A. Maria Callas
    [*4 groans*!] Callas is in calluses which all guitar players have on their fingertips of their string-stopping hands. Kind of an antonym for Callas’ great voice.

Hint: A blue dress.
    B. Monica Seles
    As in Monica Lewinsky’s blue dress. Earns *3 Groans* for going from violence [Seles stabbing] to sex [POTUS BJ]
    I gotta think every male will get that one!

Hint: Assegai
    B. Britney Spears
    For geeks who have been to Swaziland and know of the famous spear that led to Zulu domination of pre-colonial southern Africa. Unfair to the rest. *1 groan*.
    Africa hints always leave me in two minds, but I’m pretty sure most U.S. college graduates would know the word. Or at least half.

*Whaaaaat?*
    Hint: In Airplane, Rumack asks Pilot Striker not to call him what?
    *B.* William Shirley
    Had no ideas, but guessed it had to be some macho thing - not liking to be called a girl’s name?
    You’ve not seen that wonderful movie? The captain says something like: “Surely, you know what to do."

Hint: T. S. Eliot’s peach or a daughters’ club.
    *D.* Ann Darr
    Got the daughters’ club part > DAR > as in Daughters of the American Revolution, but what’s up with TS Eliot’s peach?
    Love Song of J. Alfred Prufock, a wonderful poem about old age he wrote when he was 23. A line from it: “Do I dare to eat a pitch?”

Hint: NBA Scotty
    *A. *Lord of the Rings
    Got this by the circles [rings] on the Basketball court but what does Scotty [Pippen?] have to do with it?
    Pippin is one of Frodo’s buddies.

Hint: Place for grain grinding.
    *B.* Richard M. Nixon
    Knew this answer but have no idea on the hint.
    Richard Milhous Nixon.

Cheers!

3 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Saunderstown, RI, in 1755, one of America’s foremost portrait artists. His most
    famous work is, ironically, an unfinished portrait of George Washington. In the 1950s, copies of it
    hung in millions of classrooms, making kids wonder why the devil he never finished it.
    A. James Singleton Copley B. Charles Wilsson Peale C. John Singer Sargent D. Gilbert Stuart

P2. Geography: Bob Marley is shot in the chest and arm, gives concert 2 days later. He’s from where?
    A. Dominican Republic B. Haiti C. Jamaica D. Grand Caymans

P3. History/Politics: Born in Philadelphia in 1826, he organized the Army of the Potomac. Overly
    cautious and no match for Robert E. Lee, he lost Lincoln’s trust. Hint: Fanny Hill author, sort of.
    A. William Tecumseh Sherman B. George B. McClellan C. Ulysses S. Grant D. Winifred Scott

4. Language: Born in New York City in 1954, she is a post-modernist novelist, poet, playwright. In 1989,
    Give My Heart Ease received the New American Writing Award. Little Poems for Children is lovely.
    Here’s one: Grandmother’s Fish: “Gold fish, red fish / Swimming all around / Gold fish, red fish /
    Never make a sound.” Hint: That ship that sank off Nantucket in 1956.
    A. Grace Andreacchi B. Margaret Atwood C. Joan Didion D. Penelope Lively

P5. Literature: Born in Berdychiv, Poland, in 1857, his unique English style, non-English sensibility, and
    penetrating vision into the human heart made him one of the greatest novelists writing in
    English. Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim would make most critics’ top 100 list. Hint: Imprint ducks.
    A. Vladimir Nabokov B. Jerzy Kosinski C. Kingsley Amis D. Joseph Conrad

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Wall Lake, Iowa, 1927, he owns Johnny Mercer’s Moon River. Hint: .406
    A. Tony Bennett B. Johnny Mathis C. Paul Anka D. Andy Williams

P7. People: Born in Warner, NH, in 1842, he went to Minnesota, became a state senator and started a
    business because of a deep belief in flour power. Hint: World War I soldiers.
    A. Will Keith Kellogg B. Charles Alfred Pillsbury C. Duncan Hynes D. James L. Kraft

P8. Potluck: Born in Franklin County, Missouri, in 1842, she married at 19 a man who would become a
    U.S. Senator from California. She was a philanthropist, feminist, and suffragist who was a major
    benefactor of Berkeley. Her only child would become a newspaper mogul about whom Orson
    Welles created Citizen Kane. Hint: Holden’s kid sister.
    A. Georgiana Taylor B. Kate Pulitzer C. Phoebe Hearst D. Mary Greeley

P9. Quotations: According to the proverb, what’s the devil in?
    A. The dungeon B. The details C. The darkness D. The desire

P10. Science/Technology: Born in 1596, this luthier was the grandson of a man who started one of the
    best violin making business in history. His models, which were well curved, long-cornered, and
    cleanly purfled, are considered the best in the family for modern playing. Hint: Latin 101 verb.
    A. Nicola Amati B. Paolo Albani C. Antonious Cassini D. Antonio Stradivari

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Staaken, East Germany, in 1965, she won the figure skating Gold Medals at
    the 1984 Sarajevo and 19988 Calgary Olympics. She also won the World Championships 4 times.
    People still talk of her poignant performance to the tune of Where Have All the Flowers Gone.
    A. Sonja Henie B. Peggy Fleming C. Tonya Harding D. Katarina Witt

P12. Stage/Screen: Bord in Paris in 1930, he was a major figure in the 1960s film movement La Nouvelle
    Vague, “The New Wave”. His 1st film was Breathless, his 2nd Le Petit Soldat. Hint: Rocket science.
    A. Jean Renoir B. Léon Poirer C. Jean-Luc Godard D. Francois Truffaut

P13. Extra Credit: How many U. S. States border on the Gulf of Mexico?
    A. Three B. Four C. Five D. Six

Answers: 1D; 2C; 3C; 4A; 5D; 6D; 7B; 8C; 9B; 10A; 11D; 12C; 13C

4 December

P1. Art/Culture: Probably born this day in 1840, this Oglala Lakota tribe chief—along with Sitting
    Bull—led his war party to victory at Little Bighorn. Hint: Little Eva’s Do the Locomotion.
    A. Chief Dan George B. Black Elk C. Crazy Horse D. Geronimo

P2. Geography: In 1909, the oldest professional hockey team gets its start in what city? Hint: Honest?
    A. Boston B. Montreal C. Moscow D. Toronto

P3. History/Politics: Born in Derby, England, in 1585, this influential Anglican minister tried to spread
    his Puritan beliefs from within. When things got too hot, he came to the colonies, brought the
    charismatic Ann Hutchinson with him, won over souls, and caused more excitement and
    controversy. Hint: His grandson, a fellow named Mather, took his name and outdid him by far.
    A. George Whitefield B. John Cotton C. John Wilson D. Jonathan Edwards

4. Language: Born in Prague in 1875, this lyrically intense, mystical poet wrote about the gathering
    existential angst in Europe before the wars. A snippet from Child in Red: Sometimes she walks
    through the village in her / little red dress /all absorbed in restraining herself, / and yet, despite
    herself, she seems to move / according to the rhythm of her life to come.” Hint: Portia’s mercy.
    A. Rainer Maria Rilke B. Hans Corossa C. Jean Arp D. Max Ernst

P5. Literature: Born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1835, this iconoclast, critic of the Victorian Age,
    posthumously published his semi-autobiographical novel The Way of All Flesh, which Modern
    Library rates 12th of the 100 Best 20th Century Novels in English. Hint: Bertie Wooster’s salvation
    A. Samuel Butler B. Arthur Koestler C. Malcolm Lowry D. Ford Maddox Ford

P6. Music/Dance: Born in 1944, he and his brothers grew up in Hawthorne, California, before they
    formed a band. He was the drummer, the only surfer in the group. Hint: Beat Teddy in 1912.
    A. Dennis Wilson B. John Bonham C. Phil Collins D. Charlie Watts

P7. People: Born in Norwalk, Conn., in 1949, an excellent biographer [[Lindbergh, Katharine
    Hepburn, Woodrow Wilson, Goldwyn), Pulitzer Prize winner. Hint: Walter Lord Book
    A. A. Scott Berg B. Justin Kaplan C. Richard Ellman D. Samuel Eliot Morison

P8. Potluck: Born in Clinton, Iowa, in 1860, she was one of the most famous/infamous actress/singers
    of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. With a flamboyant personality and extravagant life style,
    she needed Diamond Jim Brady to keep her babbles. Hint: Of the fields.
    A. Ethel Barrymore B. Lillian Russell C. Maude Adams D. Evelyn Nesbit

P9. Quotations: Lawyers and literate detectives use cui bono to search for a culprit. What’s it mean?
    A. Who has motive? B. Who has means? C. Who has opportunity? D. Who benefits?

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Lexington, Kentucky, in 1866, he was an evolutionary biologist who
    got his doctorate from Johns Hopkins. Working from Gregor Mendel’s inheritance theory from
    1865 and using his room full of fruit flies at Columbia, he demonstrated the Sutton-Boveri
    Chromosome Theory on inheritance and won a Nobel Prize. Hint: Early American horse breed.
    A. Thomas Robert Malthus B. Thomas Hunt Morgan C. James Watson D. Cyril Clarke

P11. Sports/Games: In 1956 Paul Hornung wins the 22nd Heisman. He played for? Hint: Ronald Regan
    A. UCLA B. Alabama C. Georgia Tech D. Notre Dame

P12. Stage/Screen: Born into an acting family in LA in 1949, he began his career in 1958 along side his
    brother Beau and father Lloyd in Sea Hunt. He won an Oscar as Otis Blake in Crazy Heart, and
    was nominated 4 other times. He co-founded End Hunger Network. Hint: 4 Without Doubled.
    A. Jerry Van Dyke B. James Belushi C. Jeff Bridges D. Casey Affleck

P13. Extra Credit: What letter of the alphabet does not yet appear on the Periodic Table of Elements?
    A. J B. K C. G D. U

Answers: 1
    C; 2B; 3B; 4A; 5A; 6A; 7A; 8B; 9D; 10B; 11D; 12C; 13A

Hint Analysis for Dec. 4 - Don't read if you are doing the puzzle above.

Whaaaat? I don’t get it?
    Hint: Little Eva’s Do the Locomotion.
    C. Crazy Horse
    [I knew the answer without the hint. I vaguely know about Crazy Horse dance review in Vegas and that locomotion is a dance but that’s it]

Hint: Portia’s mercy.
    A. Rainer Maria Rilke
    [No idea. Fortunately I knew this without the hint. Also our puzzlemaster somewhat tipped it off by including a poem by the author, that I could not avoid seeing, in the email containing the quiz. Hint: Put poet’s name under poem?]

Hint: Bertie Wooster’s salvation
    A. Samuel Butler
    [No idea. I guessed it only by thinking a butler must have done something.]

Hint: Walter Lord Book
    A. A. Scott Berg
    [Absolutely no idea.]

Got it! and Groaners
    Hint: Ronald Regan
    D. Notre Dame
    ‘Win one for the Gipper’ – famous Notre Dame football movie in which Reagan plays the Gipper [only 1 groan as I am no fan of Reagan]

Hint: Honest?
    B. Montreal
    Honest > Montreal > real [2 groans]

Hint: Of the fields.
    B. Lillian Russell
    Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Also famous Sidney Poitier film [3 groans] A favorite verse for me as it speaks to art and artist.

Hint: Early American horse breed.
    B. Thomas Hunt Morgan
    Only because I know of the Morgan horse breed.

Hint: 4 Without Doubled.
    C. Jeff Bridges
    Knew just enough about contract bridge card game to recognize this one.

The quizmaster Bheaka responds...

*Whaaaat?* I don’t get it?
    Hint: Little Eva’s Do the Locomotion.
    C. Crazy Horse
    [I knew the answer without the hint. I vaguely know about Crazy Horse dance review in Vegas and that locomotion is a dance but that’s it]
    I was hoping people would say that a crazy horse must be loco in motion.

Hint: Portia’s mercy.
    A. Rainer Maria Rilke
    [No idea. Fortunately I knew this without the hint. Also our puzzlemaster somewhat tipped it off by including a poem by the author, that I could not avoid seeing, in the email containing the quiz. Hint: Put poet’s name under poem?]
    Merchant of Venice, one of Shakespeare’s most oft quoted passages: “The quality of mercy is not strained. / It droppeth like a gentle rain from heaven.”
    Yes, move the name. Good idea!

Hint: Bertie Wooster’s salvation
    A. Samuel Butler
    [No idea. I guessed it only by thinking a butler must have done something.]
    If you have not yet read or seen P. G. Wodehouse’s Jeeves and Wooster, you are in for a treat! [[Yes, okay, Jeeves is technically a valet, but close enough.)

Hint: Walter Lord Book
    A. A. Scott Berg
    [Absolutely no idea.]
    Famous book! A Night to Remember - when the Titanic hit the iceBERG.

*Got it!* and Groaners
    Hint: Ronald Regan
    D. Notre Dame
    ‘Win one for the Gipper’ – famous Notre Dame football movie in which Reagan plays the Gipper [only 1 groan as I am no fan of Reagan]
    Come on, he was wonderful in Birthday for Bonzo!

Hint: Honest?
    B. Montreal
    Honest > Montreal > real [2 groans]
    Thanks.

Hint: Of the fields.
    B. Lillian Russell
    Consider the *lilies* of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Also famous Sidney Poitier film [3 groans] A favorite verse for me as it speaks to art and artist.
    You gotta think Georgia O’Keefe would agree.

Hint: Early American horse breed.
    B. Thomas Hunt Morgan
    Only because I know of the Morgan horse breed.
    That’s why I provided that hint!

Hint: 4 Without Doubled.
    C. Jeff Bridges
    Knew just enough about contract bridge card game to recognize this one.
    Boy, Lowell, stay away from bridge! It is to card games what chess is to board games, the flagship of the fleet. You would love it, but too much!

5 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Chicago in 1901, he was one of America’s half dozen greatest cultural icons as
    well as one of its most influential graphic artists. He gave us Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and
    Goofy. He was nominated for 59 Oscars and won 22. Hint: What?! You want a hint?!
    A. Rube Goldberg B. Walter Disney C. Charles Adams D. Walter Kelly

P2. Geography: Born Sacramento, 1934, wonderful Joan Didion wrote Slouching Towards …” what?
    A. Antioch B. Bethlehem C. Freedom D. Death

P3. History/Politics: In Kinderhook, New York, in 1782, the 1st President born after the Declaration of
    Independence came into this world. With excellent social and sartorial skills, he could mix with the
    people in his father’s tavern and the high and mighty. He beat out Daniel Webster in 1836, lost re-
    election in 1840, & now ranks somewhere in the middle. Hint: Folk & Blues major record label.
    A. Andrew Jackson B. Martin Van Buren C. William Henry Harrison D. John Tyler

4. Language: Born in London in 1830, one of four sibling writers, she was a popular 19th Century poet,
    most famous for Remember: “Yet if you should forget me for a while / And afterwards remember,
    do not grieve … / Better by far you should forget and smile / Than that you should remember
    and be sad.” She also wrote the Christmas Carol In the Bleak Midwinter. Hint: 1 brother was Dante.
    A. Elizabeth Barrett Browning B. Christina Rossetti C. Charlotte Brönte D. Aphra Bhen

P5. Literature: Born in Houston in 1936, he is both a local-color writer bringing Louisiana and Montana
    to life and an excellent mystery writer best known for his Dave Robicheaux series. He’s won an
    Edgar and a Grand Masters Award. One of the very best! Hint: Famous British Peerage Book
    A. Paul Auster B. James Lee Burke C. James M. Cain D. Scott Turow

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Macon, Georgia, in 1932, he helped create the cathedral of rock and roll.
    Dynamic, charismatic, a showman as well as a fine pianist, he gave us: Tutti Fruiti, Long Tall Sally,
    Ready Teddy, Lucille, and—best of all—Good Golly, Miss Molly.
    A. Bill Haley B. Jerry Lee Lewis C. Fats Domino D. Little Richard

P7. People: Born in Palermo in 1666, this Baroque composer lived in the shadow of his big brother
    Alessandro. He was a violinist at the Chapel Royal in Naples. In London he became friends
    with Handel. He is today remembered for setting Psalms to music. Hint: Fibrous tissue.
    A. Agostino Steffani B. Antonio Vivaldi C. Giovanni Porta D. Francesco Scarlotti

P8. Potluck: Born in Edgefield, South Carolina, in 1902, he served his state as a U. S. Senator for
    48 years [[1956 – 2003). Adamantly opposed to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he switched parties
    from the Democrats to the GOP. A segregationist, he had a daughter by his Black maid.
    A. Strom Thurmond B. J. William Fulbright C. Trent Lott D. Robert Byrd

P9. Quotations: “I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known.”
    A. Andy Warhol B. Roy Lichtenstein C. Mel Blanc D. Walt Disney

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Hawthorne, Iowa, in 1879, an aviator& aircraft designer. His first
    spruce & linen plane had a 40 horse-power motorboat motor. Hint: The King of Beers.
    A. Clyde Cessna B. Victor Roos C. Hiram Maxim D. J. W. Dunne

11. Sports/Games: In 1869, Princeton lost 4 to 6 to whom in the 1st college football game? Hint: IV-less.
    A. Harvard B. Yale C. Rutgers D. Dartmouth

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in the Ukraine in 1905, this controversial film director pushed the boundaries of
    censorship. He gave us Laura, Forever Amber, and Anatomy of a Murder. Hint: Beetle’s hound.
    A. John Ford B. Otto Preminger C. William Wyler D. Andrei Tsrkovsky

P13. Extra Credit: A group of crows is called a what? Hint: Hitch flick.
    A. Omen B. Murder C. Ill fate D. Conspiracy

Answers: 1B; 2B; 3B; 4B; 5B; 6D; 7D; 8A; 9D; 10A; 11C; 12B; 13B

Selected Hint Analysis Dec. 4

Whaaaaat? I don’t get it.

Hint: Famous British Peerage Book
    B. James Lee Burke
    Absolutely no idea

Groaners
    Hint: Fibrous tissue.
    D. Francesco Scarlotti
    Scarlotti as in fibrous [Scar] tissue. Ewwww [3 groans]

Hint: The King of Beers.
    A. Clyde Cessna
    [4 groans!] King of Beers > Budweiser false claim about its beer > Famous schmaltzie Bud holiday ad where a beer wagon is pulled by Clydesdale horses > Clyde Cessnna. Clever yet doesn’t require intellectual library background ergo accessible to the masses egro earns the top award.

6 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in West Prussia in 1898, his photos graced 90 Life covers. He’s the one on VJ Day
    who caught the “exuberant sailor kissing the nurse in a dancelike dip [that] summed up the euphoria”. [[NY Times.) “When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear.” Hint: F-l-a-r-e-d.
    A. Robert Capa B. Eddie Adams C. Alfred Eisenstaedt D. Nick Ut

P2. Geography: In 1977, who gave Bophuthatswana its independence? Hint: No country recognized it.
    A. Indonesia B. India C. Nigeria D. South Africa

P3. History/Politics: Born in Powhatan County, Virginia, in 1833, a rebel cavalry battalion commander.
    His Rangers were known for their quick raids. He was called: The Gray Ghost. Hint: Lawn care.
    A. Richard Vanderhost Bonneau B. John Mosby C. John C. Booth D. John Eady

4. Language: Born in New Brunswick, NJ, in 1886, he attended Rutgers for 2 years, couldn’t do the math,
    and completed his degree at Columbia. He died at the Marne in 1918. He is remembered for
    Trees, which begins: “I think that I shall never see / A poem lovely as a tree.” Hint: “… was here.”
    A. David Berman B. Robert Service C. Joyce Kilmer D. Kenneth Koch

P5. Literature: Born in Harrow on the Hill, England, in 1893, the daughter of the house-master at
    Harrow School, she had an idyllic childhood abruptly ended by her father’s death. A prolific
    novelist/poet, she is best remembered for Mr. Fortune’s Maggot, “a satirical anti-imperialist
    novel” about a Pacific Island missionary. Hint: Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack.
    A. Sylvia Townsend Warner B. Anita Brookner C. Rebecca West D. Daphne du Maurier

P6. Music/Dance: Born in New York City in 1896, he teamed up with his composer brother to write the
    lyrics for I Got Rhythm, The Man I Love, and They Can’t Take That Away from Me. No hints!
    A. Irving Berlin B. Oscar Hammerstein C. Ira Gershwin D. Lorenz Hart

P7. People: Born in Clinton, Mass., 1900, she was in Citizen Kane, Showboat, and The Magnificent
    Ambersons, but may be best known as Endora in the tv show Bewitched. Hint: Vietnam general.
    A. Lynn Fontaine B. Barbara Stanwyck C. Olivia de Haviland D. Agnes Moorehead

P8. Potluck: Born in Chicago in 1908, at age 12 accidentally shot a playmate, arrested for joyriding at 13,
    became a bank robber, helped Dillinger escape, became Public Enemy #1. Hint: David & Ricky.
    A. Babyface Nelson B. Pretty Boy Floyd C. Clyde Barrow D. Al Capone

P9. Quotations: “Oh, no. It wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast” concludes what film?
    A. Frankenstein B. Godzilla C. King Kong D. Beauty and the Beast

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Yorkshire in 1920, this chemist won a Nobel for research into flash
    photolysis, which provided the first evidence of free radicals. Hint: O. Henry’s birth name.
    A. Robert Burns Woodward B. Melvin Calvin C. George Porter D. William Frank Libby

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Waukegan, Illinois, in 1921, he quarterbacked the Cleveland Browns to
    league championship games every year from 1946 to 1955, winning 7 of them, during which they
    were 114 and 20. He played on the 1946 Rochester Royals championship basketball team, making
    him one of only two people to win championships in 2 pro sports. Hint: Dance lady.
    A. Fran Tarkenton B. Johnny Unitas C. Otto Graham D. Y. A. Tittle

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Detroit in 1924, he and a neighborhood kid named Marlon Brando became
    friends. He got his start on Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts. He had a long career, but will be
    remembered best for his role as the mild-mannered teacher Mr. Peepers. Hint: Special Prosecutor.
    A. Robert Young B. Don Herbert C. Wally Cox D. Don Knotts

P13. Extra Credit: The only other athlete to play on championship teams in two sports pitched for the
    1957 Milwaukee Braves & was a center for the 1959-61 Boston Celtics. Hint: You can’t kid me!
    A. Gene Conley B. Jim Thorpe C. Bo Jackson D. Danny Ainge

Answers: 1C; 2D; 3B; 4C; 5A; 6C; 7D; 8A; 9C; 10C; 11C; 12C; 13A

Good hints let me get a 12 from what would have otherwise been a far lower score.

The one stumped me and stole my perfect score.

O. Henry’s birth name.
    C. George Porter
    Got be a literary nerd form that one.

Solutions and Groaners Awards:
    Hint: F-l-a-r-e-d.
    C. Alfred Eisenstaedt
    Knew it but… First use of an anagram by the quizmaster. Rearrange the letters and…

Hint: Lawn care.
    B. John Mosby
    Knew it but… Lawn care > Mows the lawn > Mosby… [3 groans]

Hint: “… was here.”
    C. Joyce Kilmer
    Got it only by hint… Famous graffiti tag of first half 20th C “Kilroy was Here” > Kilmer [2 groans]

Hint: Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack.
    A. Sylvia Townsend Warner
    Got it only by hint… Luckily I remember Jack Warner of the Warner Brothers film company.

Hint: Vietnam general.
    D. Agnes Moorehead
    As in William Westmoreland > Moorehead

Hint: David & Ricky.
    A. Babyface Nelson
    Knew it but… One has to be a baby-boomer to remember the Ozzie and Harriet [the Nelson’s] TV show and Ricky who had brief celebrity singer career. Coulda / Shoulda? hint for those younger? Hint: Boomer

Hint: Dance lady.
    C. Otto Graham
    Knew it but… As in dance legent Martha Graham.

Hint: Special Prosecutor.
    C. Wally Cox
    Got it only by hint… As in Nixon Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox. Did know he was from Detroit!

Hint: You can’t kid me!
    A. Gene Conley
    Knew it but… Or con me > Gene Conley [1 groan]

7 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Stewartville, Minnesota, in 1863, he learned telegraphy and started to work for
    the railroad. He made a deal with a gold-watch wholesaler to sell them to fellow agents and
    passengers, quickly earned 5,000 dollars and set up a Minneapolis mail-order company, which
    was hugely successful. Millions were privy to his catalogue. Hint: Prophets.
    A. L. L. Bean B. W. T. Grant C. F. W. Woolworth D. Richard Warren Sears

P2. Geography: In 1941, the Day of Infamy, Japan attacks Pearl Harbor on which Hawaiian island?
    A. Maui B. O’ahu C. Kaua’i D. Moloka’i

P3. History/Politics: Born in Arkansas in 1941, she was one of 9 Black students to integrate Central
    High in Little Rock. When Orval Faubus shut the school down, she finished high school in San
    Francisco, got a bachelor’s degree from SF State, a Master’s from Columbia, became a journalist,
    wrote Warriors Don’t Cry, got a doctorate in 2009. Hint: Racists shouted: “Hey, girl, you’re toast!”
    A. Mildred Loving B. Amelia Boynton C. Melba Pattillo Beals D. Angela Davis

4. Language: Born in Philadelphia in 1928, he’s had an eclectic life as a cognitive scientist, logician,
    pundit, social activist, and anti-war spokesman, but before all else is a linguist, often called the
    “Father of Modern Linguistics”. He teaches at MIT, has authored 100+ books. Hint: Ski bum pal.
    A. Anthony Burgess B. Noam Chomsky C. W. S. Merwin D. J. R. R. Tolkien

P5. Literature: Born in Winchester, Virginia, in 1873, she grew up there and in Nebraska. A great—
    though often overlooked—writer, she gave us O Pioneers!, My Antonia, and Death Comes to the
    Archbishop, which Modern Library includes on its best 100 list. Hint: Old TV part?
    A. Rebecca West B. Edith Wharton C. Djuna Barnes D. Willa Cather

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Pomona in 1949, this growling, gravel-voiced songwriter likes to sing about
    seedy, down-and-out characters and settings. Jersey Girl, Ol’ ’55, and Down Train are his. Two
    albums, Bone Machine and Mule Variations got Grammys. Hint: “Those serve who only stand …
    A. Dave Van Ronk B. Tom Waits C. Phil Ochs D. John Prine

P7. People: Born in Londonderry in 1888, he wanted to be an artist, but hadn’t the talent. He managed a
    4th class pass from Oxford, went to Paris, Montenegro, and Nigeria, and came home to write—
    among others—the wonderfully funny and lovely novel The Horse’s Mouth. Hint: Porto, portare.
    A. Brendan Behan B. Joyce Cary C. Cecil Day Lewis D. Liam O’Flaherty

P8. Potluck: Born in West Baden, Indiana in 1956, he liked to call himself “the hick from French Lick.”
    He played small forward for the Boston Celtics for 13 seasons, flanked by Kevin McHale and
    Robert Parish. They won it all in 1981, ’84, and ’86. He was a 3 time MVP. Hint: Robert Stroud.
    A. Larry Bird B. Bob Cousy C. John Havlicek D. Same Jones

P9. Quotations: “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me, aren’t you?”
    A. Richard Dryfuss B. Tim Robins C. Dustin Hoffman D. John Travolta

P10. Science/Technology: In 1934, he discovers the Jet Stream. Hint: You had this one on 22 November!
    A. Wiley Post B. Charles Lindbergh C. Henri Farman D. Richard E. Byrd

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Oklahoma City in 1947, he was from 1967 to 1983 a 14 time All-Star and 2
    time MVP for the Cincinnati Reds. As their catcher he was a big part of The Big Red Machine that
    won 4 National League Pennants and 2 World Series. Hint: Elevation surveys.
    A. Joe Morgan B. Johnny Bench C. Pete Rose D. Tony Perez

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Brooklyn in 1915, he was in The Magnificent Seven; The Misfits; The Good, the
    Bad, and the Ugly; and The Godfather Part III. Hint: He should have gone to Yale.
    A. Steve McQueen B. Charles Bronson C. Robert Vaughn D. Eli Wallach

P13. Extra Credit: Humans and lettuce share roughly how much of their DNA?
    A. 5% B. 25% C. 33% D. 75%

Answers: 1D; 2B; 3C; 4B; 5D; 6B; 7B; 8A; 9C; 10A; 11B; 12D; 13C

Today's top groaner.

Hint: Ski bum pal.
    B. Noam Chomsky

Skiing chum? [3 groans]

8 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Guanajuato, Mexico, in 1886, HE was a prominent cubist painter married to an
    equally prominent painter Frida Kahlo. He was best known for his frescoes and murals, not
    only in Mexico but also Detroit, New York, and San Francisco. Hint: MLB pitcher + reliever.
    A. David Alfaro Siqueiros B. Diego Rivera C. Gunther Gerzso D. Federico Cantu Garza

P2. Geography: Born in Des Moines in 1951, this Anglo-America humorist and travel writer has give us
    insider looks at England [[Notes from a Small Island), the U.S. [[I’m a Stranger Here Myself), and
    Europe [[Neither Here Nor There), among others. Hint: Mr. Cody, sort of.
    A. Paul Theroux B. John Carr C. Bill Bryson D. Lawrence Durrell

P3. History/Politics: Born in Linlithgow, Scotland, in 1542, she became Queen of Scotland six days later
    when her father James V died. Growing up in France, she married its king and was Queen of
    France for 6 month before he died. Back in Scotland, she married her first cousin, but he died. She
    fled south where Elizabeth I had her executed. Who says the royals have no fun!?
    A. Anne B. Mary C. Margaret D. Gruoch [[Lady Macbeth)

4. Language: Born in Venusia in southern Italy in 65 BC, he went to Athens to study at The Academy
    founded by Plato and fell in love with Greek lyric poetry. He wrote witty and eloquent odes and
    satires. “Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow.” Hint: Go west, young man.”
    A. Catullus B. Ovid C. Horace D. Virgil

P5. Literature: Born in Columbus, Ohio, in 1894, a renown American humorists, he is most famous for
    his New Yorker cartoons & short stories, including The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Hint: Type of jet.
    A. Jules Feiffer B. E. B. White C. Garrison Keillor D. James Thurber

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Melbourne, FA, in 1943, died in Paris in 1970 of a heroin overdose, the lead
    singer on The Doors, their signature song being the acid rock Light My Fire. Hint: 9Lives.
    A. Jim Morrison B. Frank Zappa C. Roger Waters D. Jerry Garcia

P7. People: Born in Belfast in 1939, he’s an astonishing flutist. Hint: “If you ever go across the sea…”
    A. Jean-Pierre Rampal B. Gareth Davis C. James Galway D. Julius Baker

P8. Potluck: Born of Welsh parents in Hendon, a London suburb in 1906, his most famous novel, the
    evocatively titled How Green Was My Valley, was about coal mining communities in Wales.
    A. Dylan Thomas B. Richard Gwyn C. Ken Follett D. Richard Llewellyn

P9. Quotations: Born in Harlem in 1925 of a Cuban mother and African-American father, he appeared
    in 1960 in the first Rat Pack film, Ocean’s 11, hit it big with The Candy Man, went out to Vegas to
    become Mister Show Business. On a golf course, Jack Benny asked what his handicap was.
    “Handicap?” he asked. “Talk about handicap—I’m a one-eyed Negro Jew.” Hint: Confederacy.
    A. Sidney Poitier B. Gregory Hines C. Sammy Davis, Jr. D. Spike Lee

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Westborough, Mass., in 1765, he designed and developed a crucial
    invention of the Industrial Revolution, one which would shape the agriculture of the South
    before the Civil War. Ironically, his invention also enhanced the need for slavery. Hint: Houston.
    A. John Deere B. George Westinghouse C. Eli Whitney D. Robert Fulton

P11. Sports/Games: The first Super Bowl was played in what year and won by which team?
    A. 1967 Chiefs B. 1967 Packers C. 1969 Colts D. 1969 Jets

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Athens, Georgia, in 1953, her breakout role was in Never Say Never Again. She
    co-starred with Robert Redford in The Natural, won an Oscar for LA Confidential. Hint: Kipling
    A. Natalie Wood B. Bo Derek C. Kim Basinger D. Farrah Fawcett

P13. Extra Credit: Born in Jersey City in 1933, he was a comedian who popularized the phrase, “The
    devil made me do it,” as well as the phrase that would become the acronym WYSIWYG.
    A. Redd Foxx B. Jamie Foxx C. Flip Wilson D. Arsenio Hall

Answers: 1B; 2C; 3B; 4C; 5D; 6A; 7C; 8D; 9C; 10C; 11B; 12C; 13C

9 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Sedan, Kansas, in 1898, he began as a circus trapeze artist, but by 1931 he was
    the tragic clown Weary Willie, who failed to sweep up the pool of the spotlight. Hint: An ant.
    A. Emmett Kelly B. Charlie Rivel C. Lou Jacobs D. Arthur Vercoe Pedlar

P2. Geography: In 1966, Barbados joined the U.N. By the way, what country ruled it longest?
    A. England B. France C. Portugal D. Spain

P3. History/Politics: Born in Cambridge, Mass., in 1912, he started out as a bricklayer, then won a City
    Council seat as Superintendent of Sewers. In 1952, he was elected to the congressional seat
    vacated by Senator-elect John F. Kennedy. By the time he retired 34 years later, he was Speaker of
    the House. “Tip” famously said, ”All politics is local.” Hint: Desire under the Elms.
    A. Sam Rayburn B. Barney Frank C. Thomas O’Neill D. Henry Cabot Lodge

P4. Language: Born in London in 1608, this statesman, eloquent defender of free speech, and blind poet
    is considered by many to have written the great epic poem in the English language, Paradise Lost,
    which begins: “Of Man’s First Disobedience, and the Fruit / Of that Forbidden Tree, whose
    mortal taste / Brought Death into the World, and all our Woe…” Hint: Candy Land.
    A. John Dryden B. John Donne C. John Milton D. John Keats

P5. Literature: Born in Eatonton, Georgia, in 1848, to an Irish immigrant woman abandoned by his
    father, he became a journalist and one day began writing stories about a clever rabbit. One story
    about a tar-baby began: “Didn’t the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?” asked the little boy
    the next morning. “He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho’s you born—Br’er Fox did …”
    A. William B. Laughead B. Edward S. O’Reilly C. Joel Chandler Harris D. Guy B. Johnson

P6. Music/Dance: In 1988, a poll declares whose music best background for sex? Hint: Kerby hound.
    A. Beethoven B. Neil Diamond C. Dean Martin D. Frank Sinatra

P7. People: Four: Cleveland, 1902, the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz; North Yorkshire, 1934, won a
    Best Supporting Oscar for Shakespeare in Love, was terrific in Shipping News; Gloucestershire, 1943,
    wrote prize-winning Parson Harding’s Daughter; and the one you need, Paris, 1899, wrote and
    illustrated the wonderful Babar books. Hint: Don’t be upset, old chap!
    A. Jean de Brunhoff B. Judi Dench C. Margaret Hamilton D. Joanna Trollope

P8. Potluck: In the United States, which is the longest month of the year? Hint: Trick question.
    A. January B. March C. August D. October

P9. Quotations: “God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.” Hint: Travelio
    A. Voltaire B. Pope Pius XII C. Albert Camus D. Billy Graham

P10. Science/Technology: Have you been paying attention? Born in Brooklyn in 1886, he began as a
    taxidermist and helped discover that ticks caused Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Next the Inuits
    taught him about freezing fish. Freezing peas came next. Hint: We met him 30 Sept. & 3 Nov.!
    A. Duncan Hines B. Clarence Birdseye C. Ken Daihneau D. John McIntosh

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Chicago in 1942, the youngest of 9 kids of Lithuanian immigrants, he was
    an All-American linebacker for the U. of Illinois before joining the Chicago Bears for 9 seasons.
    Voted the most feared tackler of all time, he is #10 on NFL.com’s best-ever list. Hint: 3 Gruffs.
    A. Reggie White B. Ray Nitschke C. Dick Butkus D. John Hannah

P12. Stage/Screen: Four: Philadelphia, 1911, Chief Dan Matthews on Highway Patrol; NYC, 1930, wrote
    The Graduate screenplay; Christopher, Illinois, 1953, Best Supporting Oscar Being John Malkovich;
    and—the one you need—Amsterdam, NY, 1916, guy with a chin dimple, played Van Gogh.
    A. Buck Henry B. Kirk Douglas C. Broderick Crawford D. John Malkovich

P13. Extra Credit: Outside Alaska, what is the tallest mountain in the United States?
    A. Pike’s Peak [[CO) B. Mt. Washington [[NH) C. Mt. Rainier [[WA) D. Mt. Whitney [[CA)

Answers: 1A; 2A; 3C; 4C; 5C; 6B; 7A; 8D; 9A; 10B; 11C; 12B; 13D

10 December

P1. Art/Culture: In the 1950s, what car was generally considered to have the biggest tailfins?
    A. Buick B. Cadillac C. Chevrolet D. Plymouth

P2. Geography: 1868, the first traffic signals are installed. Like railway signals, they use semaphore and
    are illuminated at night by red and green coloured gas lamps. Where are we? Hint: read it again!
    A. Boston B. London C. New York D. Paris

P3. History/Politics: In 1906, he is the 1st American to win a Nobel Prize. Hint: Rocky’s Winkle friend.
    A. Sinclair Lewis B. Woodrow Wilson C. Teddy Roosevelt D. Frank B. Kellogg

4. Language: Born in Amherst, Mass., in 1830, the “Nun of Amherst”, one of America’s half dozen best
    poets. Kept most of her poems on scraps of paper in her bureau drawers. She rarely left her
    house. “Some keep the Sabbath going to Church-- / I keep it staying at Home-- / With a bobolink
    for a chorister -- / And an Orchard, for a Dome--.” Hint: Simon and Garfunkel song.
    A. Ann Bradstreet B. Emily Dickinson C. Amy Lowell D. Edna St. Vincent Millay

P5. Literature: Born in Leighton Buzzard, England, in 1903, she was raised in a Georgian house at the
    end of High Street. It would become the setting for all her wonderful children’s books about the
    Borrowers, the tiny people living within its walls. Hint: The Art of a Carnival barker.
    A. Mary Norton B. Enid Blyton C. Joan Aiken D. Beatrix Potter

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Philadelphia in 1980, this classical violinist did not get her first chance to play
    as a soloist with the New York Philharmonic until she was 9. She graduated from Julliard at 19.
    She plays the 1717 Guarneri del Gesu violin, a gift from Isaac Stern. Hint: Times … Dylan song.
    A. Emilie Autumn B. Linda Brava C. Sarah Chang D. Sharon Coor

P7. People: Born in Belfast, 1960, he’s starred in and/or directed many film adaptions of Shakespeare’s
    plays, for which he’s received 5 Oscar nominations. Brilliant in Hamlet. Hint: Barbie pal.
    A. Jack Gold B. Kenneth Branagh C. Franco Zeffirelli D. Tony Richardson

P8. Potluck: Born in 1851 in Adams Center, NY, he attended Amherst College, where as a student he
    started a library supply business. He became Columbia University’s chief librarian and created a
    cataloguing system based on Sir Francis Bacon’s classification of knowledge. Hint: HST 1948.
    A. John J. Beckley B. Daniel J. Boorstin C. Melvil Dewey D. Charles Ammi Cutter

P9. Quotations: “You don’t know me, without you have read a book by the name of … but that ain’t no
    matter. There was things which he [the author] stretched, but mainly he told the truth. That is
    nothing. I never seen anybody but lied, one time or another …” Published today, 1884.
    A. Tom Sawyer B. Huck Finn C. Billy Budd D. Red Badge of Courage

P10. Science/Technology: Born in London in 1815, this countess and mathematician worked on Charles
    Babbage’s Analytical Engine, an early computer. She wrote the first algorithm to be carried out
    by a machine and is today recognized as the first computer programmer. Hint: Deep Throat.
    A. Mary Buckland B. Margaret Crosfield C. Ada Lovelace D. Florence Nightingale

P11. Sports/Games: Why is roulette sometimes called The Devil’s Game?
    A. Red & black are evil colors B. #s add up to 666 C. Voltaire said so D. 1st Gambling game

P12. Stage/Screen: Four: Cardwell, Montana, 1911, distinguished NBC news anchor, “Goodnight,
    David”; Queens, 1941, played Jeff Miller on Lassie; Sacramento, 1889, debuted in Citizen Kane, best
    remembered as Lt. Tragg on Perry Mason; and the one you need, Bowie County, Texas, 1928,
    jovial, big-hearted Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza. Medical Hint: ATC code = CO7
    A. Dan Blocker B. Ray Collins C. Chet Huntley D. Tommy Rettig

P13. Extra Credit: In New Hampshire there is a graveyard called Lake View Cemetery.
    A. True B. False C. Surely you jest! D. Both A & B.

Answers: 1B; 2B; 3C; 4B; 5A; 6C; 7B; 8C; 9B; 10C; 11B; 12A; 13A

11 December

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Philadelphia in 1904, she sold her first cartoon to the Public Ledger. When The
    Saturday Evening Post asked her to create a strip to replace Henry, she came up with Little Lulu. In
    the first, Lulu, as a wedding flower girl, tosses banana peels in the aisle. Hint: Gale Storm.
    A. Ethel Hays B. June Tarpé Mills C. Marty Links D. Marge Buell

P2. Geography: In 1994, President Boris Yeltsin orders Russian troops into where? Hint: In the mail?
    A. Belarus B. Chechnya C. Kazakhstan D. Ukraine

P3. History/Politics: Born in Greenwich Village in 1882, he was the 99th mayor of NYC. At 5’ 2”, people
    called him The Little Flower. Though a Republican, he was a New Dealer who supported FDR.
    Today he is acclaimed one of the half dozen greatest mayors ever. Hint: Arrival time.
    A. Robert Wagner, Jr. B. Jimmy Walker C. John Lindsay D. Fiorello La Guardia

4. Language: Which word is spelled incorrectly?
    A. Definitely B. Changeable C. Independant D. Cemetery

P5. Literature: Born in Kislovodsk, Russia, in 1918, he was allowed only one novella published in the
    Soviet Union, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. The rest, on his way to a Nobel, Cancer Ward,
    The Gulag Archipelago, and others were published elsewhere. Hint: Big library in Egypt.
    A. Boris Pasternak B. Vasily Zhukovsky C. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn D. Joseph Brodsky

P6. Music/Dance: Born in France in 1803, he was a romantic composer who liked to conduct orchestras
    of 1000 musicians or more. Symphonie fantastique may have been his best work. Wagner, Strauss,
    Liszt, Mahler owe him. Hint: Foreign Language Ed. Co., sort of.
    A. Gabriel Fauré B. César Franck C. Hector Berlioz D. Charles Gounod

P7. People: Born in Detroit in 1939, an anti-war, civil rights activist, co-founder of SDS, married to Jane
    Fonda, one of the Chicago 8, California state senator. Hint: A traditional sunny activity.
    A. Alan Haber B. Michael Harrington C. Tom Hayden D. Irving Howe

P8. Potluck: Born in Aurora, Colorado, in 1943, he went to Vietnam after graduation from Yale,
    commanded a Swift boat, was awarded a Silver Star and a Bronze Star for valor, and 2 Purple
    Hearts, joined Vietnam Veterans Against the War, ran successfully for the Senate in Mass., ran
    unsuccessfully for President, and is now the U. S. Secretary of State. Hint: Miss Nation.
    A. Henry Cabot Lodge B. Michael Dukakis C. John Kerry D. leveret Saltonstall

P9. Quotations: Upon arriving at U. S. customs: “I have nothing to declare except my genius.”
    A. Oscar Wilde B. Dorothy Parker C. Stephen Fry D. Elton John

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Dover, Delaware, in 1863, she lost most of her hearing early, possibly
    from scarlet fever. Her mom taught her the stars. She loved them. They did not speak. She
    studied them at Wellesley College. She and Edward C. Pickering created a stellar classification
    scheme based on temperature. Hint: Movie starring Peck, Niven, Quinn, Quayle, Irene Papas.
    A. Henrietta Swan Leavitt B. Willamina Fleming C. Annie Jump Cannon D. Antonia Maury

P11. Sports/Games: In baseball, which of these numbers has never been retired? Hint: Benny’s Age - 1
    A. 13 B. 22 C. 30 D. 38

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Magenta, Italy, in 1912, this film producer and husband of Sophia Loren had
    over 140 films to his credit, including the production of Fellini’s La Strada, Marriage Italian Style,
    and David Lean’s Doctor Zhivago. His motto: We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    A. Carlo Ponti B. Sergio Leone C. Roberto Ameroso D. Luchino Visconti

P13. Extra Credit: Which of these films was the biggest flop? [[It lost 60 million dollars.)
    A. Lolita [[1997 version) B. Beloved [[1998) C. All the King’s Men [[1998 version) D. Father’s Day [[1997)

Answers: 1D; 2B; 3D; 4C; 5C; 6C; 7C; 8C; 9A; 10C; 11D; 12A; 13D

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast