Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Whole Foods Developer to Add 230 Units in New Center

More and more, things are pointing to New Center being the next big thing.

As much as I love seeing vacant and underutilized buildings being repurposed [[that is always my first choice for redevelopment), the city won't truly seem to be on the road back until more of the open space is once again built upon. It would be wonderful to replace this parking lot with housing and retail.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; November-12-15 at 12:48 PM.

are they referring to the southeast parking lot @ grand blvd & 3rd?

I work for Henry Ford Hospital, I've seen proposals and solid plans to build residential highrises on most of their surface parking lots along West Grand Blvd and planned South Medical campus. Possible streetcar line too, from Rosa Parks blvd to Woodward..[[pipeline). New Center will see a good amount of new highrises in the future, good signs. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I work for Henry Ford Hospital, I've seen proposals and solid plans to build residential highrises on most of their surface parking lots along West Grand Blvd and planned South Medical campus. Possible streetcar line too, from Rosa Parks blvd to Woodward..[[pipeline). New Center will see a good amount of new highrises in the future, good signs. :-)
    gthomas, do you know the status of the $500 million development Henry Ford has planned for the southside of the Blvd?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    What is your definition of a high-rise?

The timeline for total completion of the south campus and other development geared towards year 2020 - 25. One project at a time, more announcement in spring for residential portion. My definition of highrise is 7-15 story buildings.

In one of the proposals I seen a residential building about 15-18 story in the south campus rendering. A five story office building, parking garage and retail. But again, not solid..all proposals.

I love it when gentrification of Midtown Detroit comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I love it when gentrification of Midtown Detroit comes together.
    I love when parking lots are re-purposed.

the construction needs to start immediately. hire local.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    More and more, things are pointing to New Center being the next big thing.

As much as I love seeing vacant and underutilized buildings being repurposed [[that is always my first choice for redevelopment), the city won't truly seem to be on the road back until more of the open space is once again built upon. It would be wonderful to replace this parking lot with housing and retail.
    Refresh my memory:

HF Hospital development will stop at the Lodge? Correct?

Other developers, like this one, will one-by-one do development on the other side [[of the Lodge)?

The big things on this side are the Fisher, store fronts on Woodward, this project.
    Any more?

Does this article add or confuse the story at the top of this thread?

This thread says "Southeast" corner.

This article from August talks about "Northwest" corner.

I assume it is one parking lot but confusion over two descriptions? Right?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...only-one-peter

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Does this article add or confuse the story at the top of this thread?

This thread says "Southeast" corner.

This article from August talks about "Northwest" corner.

I assume it is one parking lot but confusion over two descriptions? Right?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...only-one-peter
    Not the same parking lots. The parking lot being developed is the on the northwest corner of 3rd and Grand, aka the lot next door to McDonalds.

Curbed seems to get information wrong a lot lately.

One thing that Curbed could have done better was the article name. Whole Foods, while a great addition to Midtown, pales in comparison to Peter Cummings major contributions to Detroit.

He is the son-in-law of the late great Max Fisher. He was the head of the DSO from 1998-2003. He is largely responsible for the concept of Midtown's Orchestra Place... the area of Midtown that includes the DMC HQ building of that name, as well as the expansion of Orchestra Hall as THE MAX. That whole vibrant section of Midtown was largely due to his vision.

When Max Fisher died in 2005 [[worth about $800 million), his daughter and her husband Peter Cummings and family moved to Florida to take care of real estate developments there. But now he's back in Detroit [[he sold much of his Florida holdings to his son) and started the development for the Whole Foods store.

That was just small potatoes compared to his previous development work in Midtown, and pales by comparison to his current development plans in New Center, he's part of the consortium that bought the 500 ft. tall Fisher Building and 170 ft. tall Albert Kahn Building in New Center. As a part owner of that complex his plans are to bring back the former glory of the Fisher Arcade within the 30 story Fisher Building... as a destination that people will want to shop in, as well as refurbish both buildings, and to grow the neighborhood.

The current plans to add the 230 unit midrise building are to tie the Henry Ford Hospital complex/expansion to the heart of New Center. Those acres of parking offer a lot of future development possibilities.

Cummings also owns some of the land along the riverfront between Joe Louis and Riverfront Towers. He's planning something there as well.

Although he still has a residence in Florida, his major home is now an apartment in the upper reaches of the David Whitney Building.

So whatever you want to give Peter Cummings credit for... calling him "the Whole Foods developer" is an underwhelming moniker.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-14-15 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That was just small potatoes compared to his previous development work in Midtown, and pales by comparison to his current development plans in New Center, he's part of the consortium that bought the 500 ft. tall Fisher Building and 170 ft. tall Albert Kahn Building in New Center. As a part owner of that complex his plans are to bring back the former glory of the Fisher Arcade within the 30 story Fisher Building... as a destination that people will want to shop in, as well as refurbish both buildings, and to grow the neighborhood.

The current plans to add the 230 unit midrise building are to tie the Henry Ford Hospital complex/expansion to the heart of New Center. Those acres of parking offer a lot of future development possibilities.
    When I read about this development, which is certainly good news in its own right, my assumption was that part of the reason for doing it was to get a better sense of the Midtown residential market in preparation for the sizable task of creating and filling large numbers of units in the Fisher and Kahn Buildings.

Great write up Gistok. Hopefully this is just the beginning of something much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Not the same parking lots. The parking lot being developed is the on the northwest corner of 3rd and Grand, aka the lot next door to McDonalds.
    Curious who owns the parking lot at the S.E. corner of 3rd and Grand.

That seems visually very important. Need something nice there.

What would really be nice is development of the lot that surrounds the Fisher Building parking structure that fronts Grand. You could even extend the retail promenade if you wanted to make the spot destination shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    When I read about this development, which is certainly good news in its own right, my assumption was that part of the reason for doing it was to get a better sense of the Midtown residential market in preparation for the sizable task of creating and filling large numbers of units in the Fisher and Kahn Buildings.
    Good point, this could be true. I can speak for Henry Ford Health System, they promote and use the Midtown Live incentives. They promote living, working and playing here in Detroit proper. You will be shock how many Physicians, Doctors, RN etc..live and play here, its a good number. They understand the importance of enhancing employees and visitors experiences through aesthetic, conveniences, and residential/retail options surrounding the neighborhood. New Center district and Henry Ford Hospital South Campus will be a game changer. I can assure of that. It only make sense.

Real estate brokers [[NAI Farbman specifically). They also own the grass lot on the SW corner and a sliver of the parking lot on the NE corner [[of which the rest is owned by DPS). They represent a number of other properties in New Center including the one that the M-1 Penske Technical Center is being built on [[not really sure why it's still listed for sale though).

Interestingly, the grass lot is for sale and listed on loopnet, but the parking lots aren't, at least not publicly or something.

http://www.loopnet.com/lid/15180699

While I can understand the Kahn Building ending up as residential, I think that with an 80%+ occupancy rate [[Mar. 2015), that the Fisher Building will likely remain mainly office space.... although what the final plans are, is still to be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    While I can understand the Kahn Building ending up as residential, I think that with an 80%+ occupancy rate [[Mar. 2015), that the Fisher Building will likely remain mainly office space.... although what the final plans are, is still to be worked out.
    I'm sure that the Fisher Building will continue to have a considerable amount of office space, but I would be very surprised if they don't put some residential in. As you say, they haven't announced anything specific yet, so that is speculation on my part.

I'm sure that the Fisher Building will continue to have a considerable amount of office space, but I would be very surprised if they don't put some residential in. As you say, they haven't announced anything specific yet, so that is speculation on my part.
    There seems to be a lot more developments in my city that now include both offices and residential or hotel and offices. That sounds normal to me.

This is another important bit of news in redeveloping the core districts of Detroit. That area deserves to be used to the max. It really has a grandness to it that will be an asset once again for a long time to come. Also nice to see that folks with deep pockets have the vision to make it happen. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast