Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bucharest Grill on Livernois ?

So a little birdie told me that Bucharest Grill is opening another location on Livernois? Does anyone have any news about this ?

Yes it was mentioned in a channel 4 news story last week. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/s...troit/36263658

I'll check this out.

It is interesting to see Livernois near Seven on a bit of an upswing. Still has huge room for improvement--it would be great if the corner buildings at Livernois and Seven were repurposed--but more restaurants is certainly something that makes sense as that area was underserved by restaurants even 40-50 years ago.

I saw a Mr. Fo Fo's BBQ joint opening on Livernois/7 mile yesterday. There's also a "Coming Soon" sign for a place called Conversations on Livernois. That one seems to have been there a while, though.

Livernois and 7 mile definitely has momentum. What other neighborhoods are seeing new development?

Stop by Dixon's Barbershop at 7/Livernois [[just south of the intersection).

I'm convinced there's crack in those shawarma sandwiches! Damn they're good.
    Honestly makes you wonder and I've read about addictive ingredients added to food.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    It is interesting to see Livernois near Seven on a bit of an upswing. Still has huge room for improvement--it would be great if the corner buildings at Livernois and Seven were repurposed--but more restaurants is certainly something that makes sense as that area was underserved by restaurants even 40-50 years ago.
    I can see a 24 hour fitness center there in that building

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Anyone know what was in those two big buildings at the corner?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Walgreen or CVS and the other was a beauty supply store, as I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The building on the northwest corner of 7 Mile/Livernois was once a Kresge store. The building on the southwest corner was a Cunningham's drug store.

There was also a B. Seigal's in the one on the southwest corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The Siegel's was adjacent, but I didn't think it was the same building. It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    B. Siegel was on the corner of Stoepel and 7 Mile across from the Wrigley supermarket. One block west of Livernois.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The building on the northwest corner of 7 Mile/Livernois was once a Kresge store. The building on the southwest corner was a Cunningham's drug store.
    As recently as the 90s the NW corner building was a Perry/Rite Aid store, then when that closed, it was a storefront church for several years. I like the idea of a gym/fitness center. Whether independent or a major chain, gyms are scarce in the broader Detroit neighborhoods outside of downtown.

A ice coffee shop is ripe for the area

The Cunningham's was there in the early 70's. At Clarita and Livernois, east side was Detroit Bank and Trust.
    The lack of restaurants around there, I can attest to that back then. Checker's Barbeque, north of Seven Mile, a Bates style burger joint was on the west side of Livernois at Clarita. Further down south of Margarita on the west side was a little confectonary store that had sandwiches and hot dogs for the lunch crowd. There was a Little Lamplighter restaurant north of Seven Mile, food was so-so but the help made up for it. There wasn't much else around there that I remember. We used to eat from the catering trucks a lot when I worked at Packer Pontiac.

Has the location down the street from Z's Villa opened yet?

Stay tuned for changes happening at the their original location on Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    So a little birdie told me that Bucharest Grill is opening another location on Livernois? Does anyone have any news about this ?

Restaurants that used to be in the area were: Ann Sayles Tea Room on seven mile btw. Santa Rosa and Monica; there was a Sanders on seven mile and Santa Rosa; their was I think a Skippers Table on the parking lot at Stoepel and Seven Mile, there was a House of Pancakes on Livernois and St. Martins, the grocery store across the street from B. Siegels was [[I think) Super Sol's

So long and it's not a Tim Horton's......!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    A ice coffee shop is ripe for the area

It is mentioned in this story from Crains this week also. A worthwhile read for those that don't get into some of the other neighborhoods seeing new businesses.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ot-whole-story

Another great restaurant was Robin Hood Grill on Livernois on the east side of the street, north of Pembroke it had been there since the forties. When we lived in Sherwood Forest during the riots it was one of the few restaurants that were open. Went there for dinner one night and saw two guardsmen sitting by the front door on the ground having a cigarette.
    Funny how memories like that stay forever.