Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Art Van Opening Downtown Store

Fingers crossed. A nice big store on Woodward would do wonders for foot traffic.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...ggan/75499836/

Nice. Still hoping for a basic grocery store in the CBD. Then we got something going. But, really interesting where on Woodward. I will choose the gold building across from the Townhouse restaurant.

about time ?

Is Art Van really the type of retail that would attract a lot of foot traffic downtown? It's better than nothing but I'm more excited for the Nike store, Apple store, and a grocery store. I would think Art Van would make more sense outside of downtown, like by New Center or east on Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    Is Art Van really the type of retail that would attract a lot of foot traffic downtown? It's better than nothing but I'm more excited for the Nike store, Apple store, and a grocery store. I would think Art Van would make more sense outside of downtown, like by New Center or east on Jefferson.
    Keep in mind that "Downtown" is quite a big area. To someone not intimatly familiar with the area, both New Center and Midtown could be called "the Downtown area" I also think it is a great addition. Anything that lets city residents stay in the city is a plus. Also, that is 40-50 people paying taxes and eating at the local lunch places. Wins all around if you ask me.

Should be a success, and it make a lot of sense. You have population density, which is only increasing. Lots of rentals so lots of turnover. People always need beds, sofas, etc. Not everyone is artsy-craftsy or living in a loft...Art Van does the trick for those with more straightforward taste. Moreover, it's a showroom-based business. You generally do not walk out of AV with what you bought. It is very befitting a downtown, transit-oriented location, and I imagine for many Detroiters in non-central neighborhoods it will be a welcome alternative to schlepping out to some suburban strip.

There are a couple of comparable mid-market furniture stores on Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn, the transit hub for all the buses/subways and an area with lots of new blood too. It works well there, it should work well in near-future downtown Detroit.

With this move, I've wonder if this announcement is all hype. All talk and speculation. I've also heard from a close friend of mines whom is working on the GSTv building that Restoration Hardware backed out on opening downtown. Is their a market for furniture store in the CBD? I solely think the Hudson site is holding back possible big name retailers opening up downtown. We need a solid anchor, then it will be easier for other smaller retail to follow. Its still not walkable along Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    With this move, I've wonder if this announcement is all hype. All talk and speculation. I've also heard from a close friend of mines whom is working on the GSTv building that Restoration Hardware backed out on opening downtown. Is their a market for furniture store in the CBD? I solely think the Hudson site is holding back possible big name retailers opening up downtown. We need a solid anchor, then it will be easier for other smaller retail to follow. Its still not walkable along Woodward.
    Coming straight from Art himself, this isn't just a rumor. It doesn't take as much population to support a furniture store as you might think. My hometown, population 11,000, has 3 good-sized stores in its downtown. The greater downtown Detroit area has more than enough population and this would be the logical location for people to shop for furniture.

Downtown already has an upscale furniture store on Randolph and Grand River [[I forget the name), does it not?

How have they been doing?

While this new rumor that RW might not come downtown is a bit disconcerting, at least we got a rehabbed building out of it to use for a business more willing. Also, I agree that the Hudson site is a negative. A huge empty lot in Detroit's historical hub of retail does little to improve our image for future retailers.

But what does the last sentence mean? If Woodward isn't walkable, then what street in Detroit is? That's the heart of urban Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Downtown already has an upscale furniture store on Randolph and Grand River [[I forget the name), does it not?

How have they been doing?
    No, they do not. That intersection barely exists.

There's Gardella on Gratiot near EM and Robinson on Jefferson.

Robinson used to be on Washington Blvd however.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No, they do not. That intersection barely exists.

There's Gardella on Gratiot near EM and Robinson on Jefferson.

Robinson used to be on Washington Blvd however.
    I meant Broadway and Grand River.

And here's an old thread about it [[the name of the store was called Mezzanine).

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1165175829

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I meant Broadway and Grand River.

And here's an old thread about it [[the name of the store was called Mezzanine).

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1165175829
    That was Joe Posch's first foray into Detroit retail. Was a cool, high end designy place, not much furniture, more furnishings.

He now runs Hugh over on Cass.

Generally speaking this seems like a good thing but from a selfish standpoint you can add this to the growing list of downtown retail that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Generally speaking this seems like a good thing but from a selfish standpoint you can add this to the growing list of downtown retail that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
    I agree. Call me when IKEA or Crate and Barrel come to Woodward. Urban Hipsters shop at these places. They aren't looking for oversized 'great room' furniture to accomodate their super-sized, lard fed families.

Nice. Still hoping for a basic grocery store in the CBD. Then we got something going. But, really interesting where on Woodward. I will choose the gold building across from the Townhouse restaurant.
    It is not quite in the CBD but there is a plan for grocery store in the District Detroit. Apparently they have already been in talks with potential companies. They agree there needs to be a store within walking distance to all the new residential.

Well kudos, hope it happens and that new retail expands wherever it lands.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    While this new rumor that RW might not come downtown is a bit disconcerting, at least we got a rehabbed building out of it to use for a business more willing. Also, I agree that the Hudson site is a negative. A huge empty lot in Detroit's historical hub of retail does little to improve our image for future retailers.

But what does the last sentence mean? If Woodward isn't walkable, then what street in Detroit is? That's the heart of urban Detroit.
    Walkable means to me:

Walking along a street during lunch hour and theirs tons of people walking along with you. Its been time I was the only person on Woodward between Grand Circus Park to Hudson site walking during lunch hour.

Can walk two blocks and have food and retail options, that's not really the case now. There's no street activity. Greektown Monroe street is a great example how Woodward should be from Jefferson Ave. To Grand Circus Park.

Everything is so spaced out downtown, no connectivity...no cohesive feeling. The vacant gap of the Hudson site is atrocious and is the main reason Woodward is dead right now. Gilbert need to come up with a better plan to activate this important district. Its critical and important for the future success of downtown and the city as a whole.
    Last edited by gthomas; November-10-15 at 08:58 PM.

I'm speaking for the regular people that shop at basic stores. Lets get this straight, I'm all for Varvatos, Moose Jaw, Texas De Brazil and Jazz Liquor store etc...but this doesn't reach the majority of the audience in this city. We need retail diversity downtown. Ijs.

Did you just lump in the Jazz Liquor store with Varvatos?

If you want activation you will get it when the rail comes online and once Gilbert announces his Hudson plans this December. Right now they are restoring buildings along the corridor and retail is coming, just not at the pace we may all want.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post

If you want activation you will get it when the rail comes online and once Gilbert announces his Hudson plans this December. Right now they are restoring buildings along the corridor and retail is coming, just not at the pace we may all want.
    I dunno, getting liquored up before looking at Varvatos' pricetags is probably not a bad idea.
    Last edited by 401don; November-10-15 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post

Hahaha, yes I did mentioned the liquor store because im stating the facts that retail along Woodward doesn't add up right. Horrible choices in a three block radius.

Also, I'm not complaining about the matter of "when" the retail comes, I'm referring solely on the "style" of retail and/or restaurants. Not all retail will do well on Woodward. The type of business on Woodward need to be exciting, something that draws families, strong diverse audience. Not all high ends stores and fancy restaurants.

The type of retail on Woodward should be like:

Footlocker
    H&M
    Levi
    Victoria Secret
    Urban Outfitters
    Hot Topic
    Gap
    Express
    Chipotle
    Qdoba
    Slows to GO
    Sanders Ice cream shop
    Detroit VS Everybody store

Hudson Site [[Anchor stores):

City Target
    Apple store
    McDonald's
    TGIFridays
    P.F Changs
    Kay Jeweler
    Cartier
    Crate & Barrel
    Other specialty stores etc..

[[NOTE) I do shop and eat at these places, so do many I know. But knowing the way Gilbert retail plans is heading, he's not gearing toward my type of list. Hope for the best with his plans.

Walkable means to me:

Walking along a street during lunch hour and theirs tons of people walking along with you. Its been time I was the only person on Woodward between Grand Circus Park to Hudson site walking during lunch hour.

Can walk two blocks and have food and retail options, that's not really the case now. There's no street activity. Greektown Monroe street is a great example how Woodward should be from Jefferson Ave. To Grand Circus Park.

Everything is so spaced out downtown, no connectivity...no cohesive feeling. The vacant gap of the Hudson site is atrocious and is the main reason Woodward is dead right now. Gilbert need to come up with a better plan to activate this important district. Its critical and important for the future success of downtown and the city as a whole.
    Ouch, the truth hurts.

I recently strolled around downtown Grand Rapids, I was shocked by how vibrant it has become. Mostly from just reactivating storefronts in buildings that were never torn down. I would have to say GR escaped the urban redevelopment movement largely intact.

I also like how they situated their newer residential/hotel towers[[last 25 years) along the river, that was really smart. It looks good, and saved a ton of older buildings. I remember when it would have been easily justifiable to rip out a chunk of abandoned storefronts/buildings that pocked areas of their downtown.

All that being said, there is an underlying depressive feeling of "small town" that hangs over your head in downtown GR. Mostly when you start comparing it to downtown Detroit.

I've been to GR, I can agree. I do feel they're progressing nicely and do love the new residential/hotel development. Soon they will surpass Detroit as far as "new residential highrise and retail options" compared to the rate we're going. It's alot planned here in Detroit, but not enough "new" options.

Maybe I'm a little impatient, but I feel we can do better. The city needs to make it easier for developers to invest here, close these loop holes. I know banks aren't lending etc..yeah yeah. I believe we're over that "let's test the water first" mentality. Clearly the demand is there, we can support up to 10,000 new residential units a year. We're only developing about 1,500 units [[steadily) a year. We're losing out on potential new and/or returning residents.

All I'm saying is, go hard or go home. Step your game up, just a tad. I'm tired of the mediocre style of development. We deserve a "Wow" development. District Detroit residential plans is okay...blah. Gilbert has a blank slate along Woodward, hope his retail plans and Hudson site meet that "WOW" factor, we got one shot! Make it good. Ijs
    Last edited by gthomas; November-11-15 at 11:07 AM.

Patience is tough, I feel you there, but keep in mind how far downtown has come in the last 5 years. We are just now getting to the point that new construction makes sense and I think once things get going on the Hudson site you will see other more ambitious proposals downtown. Gilbert and Bedrock have also hinted that an announcement for the Monroe block will be coming next year. Momentum is definitely building and instead of comparing downtown to other cities right now, try comparing downtown to what it was just a few years ago. There is plenty to be optimistic about and downtown will eventually get to where we all want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast