Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crossing the Rouge just got more difficult

As I read this weekend, the I-75 Rouge River Bridge will have interment lane closures for the next couple weeks, which includes closing certain ramps.

Well, this means Downriver residents must now pass through Dearborn if they are heading to a destination in much of Detroit and/or certain places northward.

Found that out yesterday as I was about to head onto I-75 from northbound Fort Street but the ramp was closed and I had to head over to Dix to continue any further into Detroit-and guess what? Yep, just at that time, the Dix bridge was raised to allow a coal freighter into the Rouge Plant.

Fortunately, this had the unintended effect of allowing me to get photos of the former Boblo liner "Ste. Claire" that was recently docked at that location.

Making things worse, without knowledge that a couple left turns after passing under the CSX underpass could take me to Industrial Street which eventually went back down to Fort Street [[plus a simple right turn onto Miller before the underpass performed the same function), I ended up on Vernor and into Woodmere Cemetery.

I even noticed that Giovanni's had to erect temporary brown signs with directions to their restaurant.

There will be some relief soon-the Fort Street Bridge is expected to reopen by the end of the month, I hope.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-09-15 at 08:55 PM.