Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Breaking News: Lions are cleaning house

Caldwell should have been fired as well. His incompetence causes daily damage while the other two's actions and inactions are in the past.

It would be better to finish the season without coach's than continue with Caldwell. Let the players run the games. They're supposed to know what works and what doesn't. Exactly what good is a QB coach when you have Stafford; hasn't been very effective as far as I can see.

Wash Rinse Repeat in 2020.

Rapoport reported Stafford's future in doubt with the team. Hard to believe that Caldwell will be safe beyond this season if not sooner.

What I don't get is why not get rid of Caldwell and replace him with Teryl Austin as Interim HC while Xanders takes over Interim GM.

Either way, if this is a true rebuild and done right, this could be great news for the Lions future.

Caldwell is a lame duck. The only reason they didn't fire him was because they literally have nobody better to replace him with. At this point, it doesn't matter, seasons lost, so let him ride it out and fire him at the end. I'm just thankful they didn't allow any major trades with these guys in office still.

Why does this seem like a rerun of the Tigers in Aug/Sept?

Not that I had any great love for these guys, but I actually think they've fired the wrong people here. After all, these are the people who built what was an 11-5 playoff team last season. The problems I've seen with this year's Lions aren't necessarily personnel problems [[the loss of Suh to free agency notwithstanding), but injuries [[Levy, O-line), and especially very questionable offensive design, dubious on the field decisions, and poor player motivation. In other words, coaching.

Cleaning house at the top end is more likely to disrupt the organization's direction and continuity and cost the team more than one season of "rebuilding". While changing coaches has been seen at times to have an immediate on the field impact, one which could potentially carry over into next season [[or at least stop the bleeding now). Of course, one thing they will have to face soon under any circumstances, in my view, is the Stafford's failure to develop any further [[and his seeming regression). They will probably need a wheeler dealer to address that problem.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-05-15 at 04:42 PM.

The Lions really need a Bill Parcells-type of transformative general manager/team executive who can make radical changes in personnel- from coaching staff to players-- that actually end up with positive results on the field.

But is that even the vision of Mrs. Ford & son? We'll see... or not?

As I remember, that's what Matt Millen was supposed to be. Not the best choice there.

Finally the Lions seem to be headed in the right direction, lets just hope they can hire correctly, remember, this is the same bunch who hired Millen

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Not that I had any great love for these guys, but I actually think they've fired the wrong people here. After all, these are the people who built what was an 11-5 playoff team last season. The problems I've seen with this year's Lions aren't necessarily personnel problems [[the loss of Suh to free agency notwithstanding), but injuries [[Levy, O-line), and especially very questionable offensive design, dubious on the field decisions, and poor player motivation. In other words, coaching.

Cleaning house at the top end is more likely to disrupt the organization's direction and continuity and cost the team more than one season of "rebuilding". While changing coaches has been seen at times to have an immediate on the field impact, one which could potentially carry over into next season [[or at least stop the bleeding now). Of course, one thing they will have to face soon under any circumstances, in my view, is the Stafford's failure to develop any further [[and his seeming regression). They will probably need a wheeler dealer to address that problem.
    Drafting a TE instead of a DT sets up a tough loss for Suh, running to resign Stafford and only having bums behind him doesn't help. Lewand and Mayhew have been around for 15 yrs or more. They have a huge hand in all this

Useless [[Staffnerd) dodged a bullet today.....so did Coldweld, only 8 more games & those dudes will be history.

BTW: Way to GO Martha!!!

Good Job Martha and family. Had to be done. Horrible drafting and salary cap management.

Throw away that playbook! Two runs into the middle for no gain, an incomplete pass, and a punt don't do squat in this league. Unexciting play plans from the git-go.

Interesting article on Martha Ford. Not the type to wait around it seems.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...et-martha-ford

Hey Martha -

Keep firing, reload, fire some more.

Regards, gnome.

I think what's being missed here is the power play both sisters made on Jr. Once Dad passed, they wanted an equal say in decisions. It's their team too...and I'm betting neither were very happy with their lack of input towards their 1/3 share. That's why Jr. threw up his hands to the media a couple weeks ago. He was put in his place at the family table....outvoted by his Sisters.

On March 9, 2014, Martha's husband William died at the age of 88. William had been the sole owner of the Lions since he bought out all other owners in 1963 for US$4.5 million. On March 10, 2014 it was announced that controlling interest in the Lions would pass to Ford's widow, Martha.[8] She is the majority owner of the team, with each of her four children holding small shares in the team.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Firestone_Ford

Why are people reacting as if the team has made it to the SuperBowl? They simply fired two topexecutives. The losing record is stillthere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Why are people reacting as if the team has made it to the SuperBowl? They simply fired two topexecutives. The losing record is stillthere.
    Well some people don't dwell on the past and do whatever they can do to make the future better. Anything that is out of thier control they have optimism for the future because they understand that a difference can be made by action. This is a case of the later.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well some people don't dwell on the past and do whatever they can do to make the future better. Anything that is out of thier control they have optimism for the future because they understand that a difference can be made by action. This is a case of the later.
    They said, "Cheer up, things could be worse."

So I cheered up and things got worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    They said, "Cheer up, things could be worse."

So I cheered up and things got worse.
    LMFAO! One thing might be different, she said "national search to find the best" if true that's a change.

Lions have a bye this week.

The bye is favored by 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Lions have a bye this week.

The bye is favored by 14.
    Good One Ray. On the bright side you may soon be able to see the Wings in Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Good One Ray. On the bright side you may soon be able to see the Wings in Vegas!
    Yup. Franchise expnsion is looking good, maybe not quite in '16, but 2017 is a very possible. I plan on pulling for the Vegas team except for when the Wings come into town. Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast