Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Construction at Chene & Mack

A couple of weeks ago, the city knocked down the school at Chene and Mack Avenue, that was in disrepair for many years. Now the property is a major construction site, they seem to be putting in a foundation of some kind, doing a lot of grounds work, maybe putting in a parking lot or even some kind of running track or football field ... does anybody know what's going on over here? It's probably the first new construction this neighborhood has seen in 20 years.

I pass by there frequently and was wondering the same thing. I thought it might have something to do with Recovery Park but I'm not sure.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-former-chene

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I pass by there frequently and was wondering the same thing. I thought it might have something to do with Recovery Park but I'm not sure.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-former-chene
    I don't think it's related to Recovery Park... For one, their initial footprint is much farther north. And they haven't started construction yet. From the looks of it it appears to be a running track or football field?

I was wondering the same thing myself. The parcel is owned by DTE, and I did notice it looks like a track. Maybe it's a sports facility for the DTE school on the edge of Eastern Market.

The Edison Academy I don't believe is in any way related to DTE Energy. Chrysler Financial and Art Road Foundation maybe, but I've found no connection to DTE.

Agreed that the Edison Academy is not in any way associated with DTE. It is a charter public school that just happens to have the name Edison in its name.

If you know the name of the school that was demolished,I remember a news article that referred to what was going to be built there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If you know the name of the school that was demolished,I remember a news article that referred to what was going to be built there.
    Frederick Douglass High School [[before it relocated to the old Murray-Wright site).

A football field and track have been constructed on the site. I can't verify if it's for Detroit Edison Academy.

This site was completed sooner than the Eastern Market extension of the Dequindre Cut which the contractor still working on and still milking the money as long as the orange barrels stays up at the Mack entrance

Quote Originally Posted by SSJLO View Post
    I was wondering the same thing myself. The parcel is owned by DTE, and I did notice it looks like a track. Maybe it's a sports facility for the DTE school on the edge of Eastern Market.
    Not sure this is true. According to the Loveland site, this parcel is owned by the Detroit Edison Public School Academy.

I went on the school's website, and while there is nothing about this parcel, they do seem to have an active athletics program. So, I decided to pick up the phone and call, but I got voicemail. I'll keep trying until I get a real person who might be able to confirm, but for my money now, I'm betting the Academy is behind building the field and track.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Not sure this is true. According to the Loveland site, this parcel is owned by the Detroit Edison Public School Academy.

I went on the school's website, and while there is nothing about this parcel, they do seem to have an active athletics program. So, I decided to pick up the phone and call, but I got voicemail. I'll keep trying until I get a real person who might be able to confirm, but for my money now, I'm betting the Academy is behind building the field and track.
    My daughter who is a student at Edison told me yesterday that it is indeed their field. It was confirmed by a staff member so I don't know reliable the info is.
    ETA: She says there is now a poster displayed at the school announcing the new athletic field!
    Last edited by getmoore; January-13-16 at 12:03 PM.

I would give credit to the photographer, but I saved image from Facebook and forgot to note the photographer. You can clearly see the field from this viewpoint. I also drove by the other day and the field sits a good 5 feet above the street level.

Attachment 29752