Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Capitol Park renovations

UPDATE: Capitol Park Renovations at full steam.

Jump to update pictures from Sept. 20, 2016 here >>

======================
    Original Thread starter Post from 2015 follows:

I do not know the name of the building, but the building to the south of the Farwell Building, the one that has been undergoing a renovation, is finally complete. People began moving in over the weekend.

Being the nosy sort, I decided to loop past Capitol Park after work and there is scaffolding up on the Farwell Building. Is this new? Are they finally restoring it?

Good eye, Kramer Design posted this to its facebook a few hours ago: RAM Construction Services has commenced renovations on the exterior of the Farwell Building in Capitol Park. This is an exciting time as #Detroit has waited many years for this day – actually, since about the mid-1980s when the tenants moved out. KDG is proud to continue to play a critical role in the redevelopment of this important block, as the architect, historic consultant and interior designer on the Farwell Building.

Stott building as well as the Book Tower are lit up tonight as well!

The building I couldn't name earlier is called the Malcomson Building.

Are they actually renovating the entire building or just the front? There's no other info out there

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Are they actually renovating the entire building or just the front? There's no other info out there
    Entire building is being renovated. Looks like just exterior work right now. I'm guessing they want to get the buildings exterior done/close to done before winter pounds us so they can do interior work in the winter months.

Gilbert Park renovations is contributed by Dan Gilbert's Quicken Loans, Bedrock Holdings, Saches and Ram construction. Without them.,that area will be loaded with DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS, pigeon rats, mutants and welfare folks.

I use to avoid Capitol Park on my lunchtime walks, but not any more. The area is buzzing with excitement. Each renovation adds to the vibrancy of the park and gives a real sense of momentum to the area. I can't wait for the new construction on the north end of the park. Also, I hope they add some more mature trees and greenery to the park at some point; the actual park is a bit bland.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I use to avoid Capitol Park on my lunchtime walks, but not any more. The area is buzzing with excitement. Each renovation adds to the vibrancy of the park and gives a real sense of momentum to the area. I can't wait for the new construction on the north end of the park. Also, I hope they add some more mature trees and greenery to the park at some point; the actual park is a bit bland.

A bit? The amount of cement is appalling. I've got to believe it's due for a makeover when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    A bit? The amount of cement is appalling. I've got to believe it's due for a makeover when it's all said and done.
    Which is sad since the last makeover wasn't that long ago. I have to believe Gilbert has some big changes up his sleeve for the park itself. I am hoping he buys the empty lots around the park and builds as well.

The real question is: when is Gilbert tearing down the strip club..?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The real question is: when is Gilbert tearing down the strip club..?

What is wrong with strip club? They provide employment also.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What is wrong with strip club? They provide employment also.
    Considering it's now a burnt shell after the fire last year, there's no employment there.

some updates on projects here:

Griswold apartments

Farwell building, graffiti being removed, construction underway

Bedrock's 13-story microapartments building underway

Malcolmson building renovations complete

Thanks SpartanDawg!

Love the return of a fancy top to the Malcolmson Building... including faux gable.

The Griswold Apartments... well I guess we'll have to wait until it's finished... To add the upper floors in a new different style as the lower floors is going to look very awkward.... at least in the original design they complemented each other. Don't think that's gonna happen here... but we'll just wait and see....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks SpartanDawg!

Love the return of a fancy top to the Malcolmson Building... including faux gable.

The Griswold Apartments... well I guess we'll have to wait until it's finished... To add the upper floors in a new different style as the lower floors is going to look very awkward.... at least in the original design they complemented each other. Don't think that's gonna happen here... but we'll just wait and see....
    yea hoping the griswold at least somewhat compliments the gorgeous book cadillac next door.

anyway i'll try to get more pictures throughout the summer. need to show the capitol park building renovation. that one is so close to completion!

also there was a news video from channel 4 back in february that said there is planned construction on the empty parking lot between the Farwell and the Malcolmson, from the same company that renovated both! [[Kramer design group). So i'm assuming once the farwell is complete they'll fire up NEW construction on that parking lot!! exciting stuff going on in capitol park

Wow, thanks SpartanDawg! I used to take lunchtime walks when I worked nearby, and Capitol Park was always depressing. It's nice to see the changes - I'll have to visit.

Walking through the park this morning, I couldn't help but notice that significant portions of the hardscape were removed. Anyone know what the plan is? I have long thought that the recent renovations were a little too, for lack of a better term, concrete.

Here's hoping for a little more greenspace!

Name:  IMG_3642.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  90.7 KB

I totally agree about the park not being very park-like with all the concrete. To be fair, it was a vast improvement over the previous wasteland. But it wasn't very welcoming. Perhaps the lack of greenspace was due to the lack of anyone to maintain it? Regardless, and greening there is welcome. Even at its worst, I always thought that Capital Park had the capacity to be a super cute & very active mini-neighborhood. That is happening and it's great thing.

My thought is the planters were removed to accommodate construction equipment. Their permanent removal would actually make the park less green.

Default Capitol Park in 1943

Here is what was around Capitol Park in 1943.

Name:  Capitol Park.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  114.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    My thought is the planters were removed to accommodate construction equipment. Their permanent removal would actually make the park less green.
    You're probably right about the construction equipment. As for the park being less green without them... that depends on if there were other changes. The park has a very high concrete to green ratio right now [[with the planters). If they could incorporate more grass, shrubs, flower gardens [[at both ground and elevated levels) I think it would make a much nicer park. But let me reiterate a thought from my post above: the park, East Germanic though it is, is lightyears better than the blighted, broken scary place it was ten years ago.

While not really a "renovation" in Capitol Park, the micro apartment building is coming along nicely. I like the dark brick on the lower floors.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/21/...ising-downtown

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Here is what was around Capitol Park in 1943.

Name:  Capitol Park.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  114.5 KB
    Let's hope those type of businesses - clothing stores, shoe stores, banks, jewelry stores, bakeries, and restaurants - begin to surround the park again as the neighborhood is revived.

Well I was wrong, they have a ton of the park torn up right now with bulldozers and other equipment! Wish I would have gotten a picture. Looks like they are redoing most of it, again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast