Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recognize this Building? Mid 60s

While browsing youtube, came across this photo of the Supremes in front of what looks to be a school. Does anyone recognize the building?

You-tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFDV...eature=related

It's probably old Northwestern High. It was right down the street from the Motown[[Hitsville) studio.

Ummmm...looks like Northeastern to me. One of my friends attended that school, and I used to drop her off in front of it on my way across town to school.

I was thinking Northeastern also.There is some sort of emblem, or lions head on top center of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It's probably old Northwestern High. It was right down the street from the Motown[[Hitsville) studio.

You may be right then.Thanks

Not Northern, looks like old Northeastern

Northeastern was on Grandy, a side street. There wasn't a lot of room for a big walk up and trees. I don't remember old Northwestern, but given the distance the Supremes are standing, and again the fact that Motown was down the street, Northwestern High, not Northeastern High sounds more plausible.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Northeastern was on Grandy, a side street. There wasn't a lot of room for a big walk up and trees. I don't remember old Northwestern, but given the distance the Supremes are standing, and again the fact that Motown was down the street, Northwestern High, not Northeastern High sounds more plausible.
    Northeastern was directly across from Perrien Park. There's more than plenty of room for that picture to be shot there.

Which high school did Diana Ross attend?

lilpup Guest

Ross went to Cass Tech

I'm pretty certain that it's Northwestern. Compare to this early photo:
    http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...hwesternHS.jpg

Notice the differences near the top of the building in the photo link, and the one from youtube. This is definately Northeastern, not Northwestern. I passed this building 5 days a week for years before it was torn down. If only I could turn back the hands of time...

Well, this doesn't answer the question, but it is interesting since it seems to be about this picture, from an article describing the friction between Diana and Flo:

Occasionally, Diana broke the pattern by supporting Flo against Gordy. "We were going to take some pictures in front of one of the Detroit high schools and Mary and I were deciding which school to use -- Cass, Northeastern or Northwestern -- and I said it really didn't make any difference. So Berry Gordy said something I'll never forget. 'I can see why it doesn't make any difference to you, Flo, since you never finished high school.' So Diana looked at him and said 'Well, you didn't finish high school either, Berry.' It was the one time she stood up for me."

http://thelostsupreme.com/supremesfi...FreePress.aspx

It doesn't say which one they picked. I tend to agree it isn't Northwestern, it just seems at the wrong angle lightwise, and for sure it isn't Cass Tech, which is where Diana went.

I think school in the Supremes photo is Northwestern.

Northeastern High in its final days:
    http://detroityes.com/nhood/13northeastern.htm

Interesting! Two floors above the front doors, while the Supremes pic shows one floor above the doors. The Supremes pic shows a single door opening with a pediment above, possibly matching the roofline. Northeastern has two floors above the doors which are three separate arches.

I have been looking for a decent pic of old Northwestern, not much luck. There's one showing a similar roofline to the Northeastern's, but it wasn't clear enough to tell anything else. You can see a similar pediment in the Supremes pic, but it doesn't have the contrasting cement lozenge and appears to be narrower. It has two sloping steps up to an arch, while the NE one steps down once then slopes up to the arch.

I used to go by old NW just about every day on the bus. It was set pretty far back from both Grand River and the Boulevard, so I don't seem to remember any details about it except it was yellow brick. Northeastern's bricks look much darker.

If they really didn't care which school it was, Northwestern was a lot more convenient.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-15-09 at 07:01 PM.

Hmm. How do I post a pic here? Well, maybe this link will work. It's old Northwestern:

http://app2.sellersourcebook.com/use...hwesternhs.jpg