Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Color Run 5 K Belle Isle last night

Why would anyone pursuing a healthy life want dyed corn starch and baking powder thrown in their face while running a 5K? This "genius" business model was dreamed up by a triathlete a few years ago. For $35-50 you can do this for profit run at 8000 runners per night and get your lungs, hair and clothes polluted by dyes and powders.There were kids and pregnant people doing this last night. This clogged up Jefferson and there were no DPD available due to other events going on downtown. Silly people. Just run or jog in clean air if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    Why would anyone pursuing a healthy life want dyed corn starch and baking powder thrown in their face while running a 5K? This "genius" business model was dreamed up by a triathlete a few years ago. For $35-50 you can do this for profit run at 8000 runners per night and get your lungs, hair and clothes polluted by dyes and powders.There were kids and pregnant people doing this last night. This clogged up Jefferson and there were no DPD available due to other events going on downtown. Silly people. Just run or jog in clean air if you can find it.
    Because people's lives are boring, they've forgotten how to have real fun, so they look for things contrived that will offer some meaning, no matter how silly or demeaning they are.

It sounds like you don't like colored people?

I have participated in these color runs. They are designed for the promoter's profit. But
    many participants greatly enjoy the event. They come with children, dogs and relatives. They are, however, hardly the event for serious runners. They also promote exercise. In a state with relatively high morbidity and mortality rates, that may be desirable.

I participated in one of these splash of color runs in San Diego; fun times, I tried to dodge the face shots of color as best I could.
    A pic from my Twitter feed this morning, a color run from far, far, away. From Xinhua News Agency no less.

Name:  Xinhua1.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  44.8 KB

You sound like such a pleasant person to hang out with. I bet you are the life of any party.

It's all fun until a fireball erupts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/28/as...ark-explosion/

I'm sure breathing powder would exacerbate my asthma, anyways.

I've only seen the mess left behind after the Ypsilanti one, they did it just before Beerfest a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It's all fun until a fireball erupts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/28/as...ark-explosion/

I'm sure breathing powder would exacerbate my asthma, anyways.

I've only seen the mess left behind after the Ypsilanti one, they did it just before Beerfest a few years ago.
    Or take you on a new high.... I took a tour of the Island Friday after work and saw about 75% of it was closed off to traffic, and a lot of activity was going on, on the Penske slab. Later that evening, on my way out of the 'hood, the traffic jam on Jefferson, Lafayette, Grand Boulevard, and adjoining side streets was unreal! You'd thought Jimi came back and was handing out Bens. Saturday I went back to the island to see the results, and, to my surprise, I couldn't find a trace of powder anywhere. Everything was cleaned up and back in order, except for the light generators on the slab, waiting to be carted off. They did a grand job of taking down and cleaning up. My only objection was the consistent racket, Friday night, of 16,000 sneakers slapping on asphalt and concrete. Why does the State insist on holding these loud, noisy events in peoples neighborhoods?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-01-15 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Or take you on a new high.... I took a tour of the Island Friday after work and saw about 75% of it was closed off to traffic, and a lot of activity was going on, on the Penske slab. Later that evening, on my way out of the 'hood, the traffic jam on Jefferson, Lafayette, Grand Boulevard, and adjoining side streets was unreal! You'd thought Jimi came back and was handing out Bens. Saturday I went back to the island to see the results, and, to my surprise, I couldn't find a trace of powder anywhere. Everything was cleaned up and back in order, except for the light generators on the slab, waiting to be carted off. They did a grand job of taking down and cleaning up. My only objection was the consistent racket, Friday night, of 16,000 sneakers slapping on asphalt and concrete. Why does the State insist on holding these loud, noisy events in peoples neighborhoods?
    16,000 sneakers with Holley headers on, eh?

I wondered what that commotion was on Belle Isle. Could see the lights from my window. Otherwise, I wasn't particularly bothered by it though, and my dad told me that he just looped around the traffic on Vernor on his way home from dinner with some friends. It's certainly not my scene at all, but I don't really understand why anyone would object to other people participating in such an event, as long as the mess was cleaned up afterwards [[which it sounds like it was). There are certainly other running events for more serious runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wondered why I hadn't seen their mess this year. The route in years past was along the RiverWalk and they did not clean up after themselves there.

I'm a runner and I'd never do one of these. It's for people who are not serious about running but probably not a bad thing to get them moving. Currently it's a trend [[so they can post photos on facebook, mostly) but I don't expect it will last that long.