Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Blue Pigs...

I seem to recall sometime back in the mid-70s to early 80s a rock band made up of Cops, I think they even played at my school one time. I was wondering was this a community relations gig of musically inclined volunteer officers who were selected from rank and file or were these just a couple Cops who loved to rock and sold the idea to Leadership so that they could wear their uniforms [[less sidearms) while they jammed for the city? Ray1936 I'm sure have some knowledge of this.

There's a few vids on youtube:

https://youtu.be/4czixN3avb0

https://youtu.be/yhopFty8lI

I saw them at school too, at Carleton elementary and/or Dorothy Fisher middle, same time period as you mentioned.

Looks like they've kept the band going.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I seem to recall sometime back in the mid-70s to early 80s a rock band made up of Cops, I think they even played at my school one time. I was wondering was this a community relations gig of musically inclined volunteer officers who were selected from rank and file or were these just a couple Cops who loved to rock and sold the idea to Leadership so that they could wear their uniforms [[less sidearms) while they jammed for the city? Ray1936 I'm sure have some knowledge of this.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but am sure I saw their van driving down Woodward with a blown-out rear window less than 20 years ago...took a few pictures of it turning the corner at the State/Filmore Theater, which I'm certain are buried in years of archives. If I can find 'em, I'll post 'em.

Vaguely recall them playing benefits and such...

They still play around town, mostly doo wap and they are retired from the DPD

They used to play at the Thanksgiving Parade when I was a kid. But that was 20 years ago; no clue if they still do the parade.

I love the name; owning a derogatory term and proudly making it your own. They probably play a good role in police-community relations.

Yeah, I left Detroit over 30 years ago when I joined the service. I can't remember which school I saw them at but thought it was pretty cool how they turned the negative moniker from the 60s into a positive, just wondered what ever happened to them and how they got started. Glad they've had such longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Ray1936 I'm sure have some knowledge of this.
    Indeed I do. I didn't know any of the individual members, but I well remember how they were well received in the Detroit High Schools and Intermediate Schools, as well as other performances they had gigs at. I think the members of the Department in general were pleased with them for the good notices they received in the press and by the citizens of Detroit. Unfortunately, my musical tastes have always been in the area of Mozart, Bizet, and [[God forgive me) Leroy Anderson. But tastes are to each his/her own. [[Currently, I'm and Andre' Rieu buff......)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Indeed I do. I didn't know any of the individual members, but I well remember how they were well received in the Detroit High Schools and Intermediate Schools, as well as other performances they had gigs at. I think the members of the Department in general were pleased with them for the good notices they received in the press and by the citizens of Detroit. Unfortunately, my musical tastes have always been in the area of Mozart, Bizet, and [[God forgive me) Leroy Anderson. But tastes are to each his/her own. [[Currently, I'm and Andre' Rieu buff......)
    Ray
    My musical tastes have evolved over the miles of life as well although i couldn't name the current pop stars to save my life

They played at my Jr. High in the early 90's. Remember them being pretty good!

...Mozart, Bizet, and [[God forgive me) Leroy Anderson.
    YES! The Typewriter!!! Ha, got that on vinyl around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ptero View Post
    YES! The Typewriter!!! Ha, got that on vinyl around here somewhere.
    Yup. And he used an actual typewriter along with the Boston Pops!

Yup. And he used an actual typewriter along with the Boston Pops!
    Oh. I remember that one.

Found it [[well, except not the Boston Pops): The Typewriter Leroy Anderson Martin Breinschmid with Strauß Festival Orchestra Vienna

Ah, found 'em in my copy of the 1980 Annual Report of the DPD. In an earlier years' report, it identifies them as Hugh Burrell, Sidney Holmes, Mark Boatright, Charles Henley, Michael Roberts, and James Fortuanto.

[QU Hugh Burrell, /QUOTE]

Hugh was the driving force for the blue pigs. I worked at BI radio and we hooked up somehow.
    They played at the opening breakfast of the APCO National Conference 1995.

I remember them coming to Mackenzie when I was there in the 70's. They played some of the popular r & b songs of the day and we screamed and danced the whole show. I thought they were pretty good. Nice break from the routine school day but I think that was the only time I saw them other than at the Thanksgiving Day parade.