Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Zombie Apocalypse-here?

Yeah. You all may've read the articles or caught something online by now. Some folks have speculated and calculated and surmised which cities would fair better than others if there ever were a Zombie Apocalypse. Whether it's coming from Cornell or CareerBuilder [[and I can tell you as an occasional job seeker that CareerBuilder-like most job search sites-does not get it at all), I just don't think it's all that well thought out.

According to the theories, Boston is supposed to be tops [[Now, who really came up with this study?-some M.I.T. guys? Yeah, thanks for the Smoots and laser satellites that can fry the Yankees cap off someone's head or burn crop circles in some gullible schmuck's field, but I think you Beaver kids got to lay off the chemicals.). Now, folks familiar with my rants with think I'm just axe-grinding as usual on Beantown, but that's not the case. While I agree that Boston would probably be tops in racing to find a cure [[if not being the cause)-even if it means academics from Harvard, M.I.T., or B.U. experimenting on a bunch of homeless, mentally challenged children, or terminally ill patients [[like they did in the '40s and the '50s with radiation) to do this.

I also see Boston as being very dense and thus, hugely vulnerable to mass infection. My health did not fair very well there [[even with Masshealth), and I contracted a viral infection every two months [[along with a kidney stone and an U.G.I. blockage-which were all new to me) when I was there. Rats also dominate [[giant mean sarcastic ones, bigger than your boot) the areas there, so that would be an adverse element to avoid, as that would spread more infection and diminish food supply.

What does Boston have? The Charles River to keep Zombies at bay [[pardon the pun)? I have not read fully from those zombie survival books, but it's my understanding, that zombies can lurk underwater and grab at you. Also, Boston is a very tight and tiny town with narrow streets that intersect oddly. This makes for poor fleeing [[much less any form of half-hour high-speed chases despite what the news may report). One wants wide open areas to see them coming, otherwise it's "Goodbye, Glenn!" [[poor Glenn). God forbid you pull an early Romero and use fire to keep them back. You'll end up torching all of Beacon Hill and the North End with wandering fireballs.

It also mentions Baltimore as tops; better have a sledgehammer to break into those bricked-up abandoned buildings. Doesn't surprise me that N.Y.C. and Chicago got ranked poorly, but what really irks me is that Detroit ranks so low [[which brings me to the point about this). We have open areas. We have buildings to shack up in. Our low numbers would guarantee less spread. As long as all our radio shows don't all end up pre-recorded, at least the word will assuredly get out. I actually think that due to all the traumas we've been through and keyed-up awareness we possess, we wouldn't be caught off guard, and we'd have a good defensive strategy. I just think were more industrially resourceful, and those familiar with enduring poverty under their belt here would fair better than any of those Listerine-drinkers passed out on the lawn of Cambridge City Hall.

One of the studies suggested that we would be good at containment. You hear that? We are good at quarantine or lockdown for a zombie apocalypse [[or God only knows-something else....).

Like I said: I haven't read up on the survival books, and I'm sure there are many factors I'm overlooking. Yet, I just don't think we would make #41 in best city for surviving a zombie apocalypse. http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ival/74813206/Any thoughts [[and hold the typical crackhead jokes, please)?

Default Zombie Armageddon

Name:  zombie.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  49.1 KB

The end is here, the end is here

DetroitBoy Guest

Dude, no way to hold the crackhead jokes based on your post. Time to put the pipe down, raise your window shades and go outside. All the shit you have smoked for days and nights at a time has you freaked.

BTW, the Mother Ship is not about to hover over and beam you up either!

Well the Gov and others have spent millions developing chemical weapons that remove the population without destroying the buildings and infrastructure.

All it would take was for some wacko to get their hands on something and place it in the water supply or a flying drone,it is a real possibility.

I guess one would have a escape bag kinda like a ditch bag for marine or have a plan that would encompass any disaster,a back pack with some food and water and medical supplies to last a few days anyways.

With Detroit I would think it would depend on the season,zombies cannot swim,so head for the river and make ones way north,or if it is winter and freezing they would not be able to put a jacket on so maybe find a vacant multi story building and barricade up on the top floor and wait for them to freeze to death.

I think in that situation the ones that heeded the warnings and did not become complacent would survive,or worse case scenario hook up with a bad ass woman like Michon.

It is not hard to realize the chaos that would ensue from both the zombies and non zombies if a desperate situation occurred,it probably would be a good time to conduct a gun rights preference survey.

Happy Halloween,I hope everybody has a safe one.

Can't see how any large city would be safe with all the millions infected. I'd be taking my crossbow and looking for a small island.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Dude, no way to hold the crackhead jokes based on your post. Time to put the pipe down, raise your window shades and go outside. All the shit you have smoked for days and nights at a time has you freaked.

BTW, the Mother Ship is not about to hover over and beam you up either!
    He's just tryin to have some Halloween fun. Why don't you lighten up on your troll nonsense, just for today.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    He's just tryin to have some Halloween fun. Why don't you lighten up on your troll nonsense, just for today.
    Thanky Thanky. I would hope most of us would grasp, that this is all done within speculative lark. As for smokin', that hasn't been a part of my life for over twelve years, and crack was never a part of it.-and, uh, no, as one who doesn't subscribe to per-tribulationary rapture ideaology, I don't think there is any celestial exit from our trials and woes anytime soon.

The only "survival book" I saw at John K. King's was the one if the "robots" take over [["A'hm lookeen' fo' Sa-rah Oh' Konnah'."). Alien Nazi hellion midgets from Mars? Carnivorous amoebas in Del Close's Mason jar? Reptillian shapeshifters from the inner-earth? Highly-armed militia Manchurian Candidates burning down churches? Maybe an invasion is eminent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oA1AdkHDS0Happy Halloween!