Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Iconic Detroit Sites Should be Included in Great Lakes Crossing Legoland?

According to this article in Crain's Detroit Business the following are in contention. Notably missing from my perspective is the Ambassador Bridge.

"The landmarks will be featured in the new attraction’s “Miniland,” a miniature Lego brick landscape inspired by metro Detroit’s buildings, attractions and other notable landmarks.
    Chosen after a first round of voting during which 1,100 votes were cast, the top 10 metro Detroit landmarks are:

• GM Renaissance Center
    • Spirit of Detroit
    • Belle Isle
    • Motown Museum
    • Fox Theater
    • Guardian Building
    • Comerica Park
    • Uniroyal Tire
    • Michigan Central Station
    • Heidelberg Project

Legoland is asking its fans to vote on their favorite of the 10 on its Facebook page Nov. 2-16.
    The winning landmark will be announced Nov. 18 and unveiled at a special event prior to the center’s opening."

I'd say RenCen, Spirit, Guardian, Uniroyal, Heidelberg, Central Station, WSU Old Main, The Noguchi thingy [[yes, that) in Hart Plaza, Motown Museum, Ambassador, and if they got room they can stick in a little People Moverhttp://www.toynoize.com/tag/legos/ but only if they got a Lego Homer Simpson hanging off the side going "WAUGHHH!".

Use the Palace of Auburn Hills, Great Lakes Crossing and M59 & I 75 ect
    They should use sites in Auburn Hills since that's where the store will be.

Northland Mall

It's almost a moot point....

Detroit area AFOL [[Adult Fan of LEGO) Jim Garrett, known in local Michigan LEGO circles as "Deco Jim"... has already created Detroit architectural masterpieces as LEGO masterpieces.....
    http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/De.../thf_10144.jpg

Such as...

1) Guardian Building
    2) Buhl Building
    3) Ford Building
    4) Penobscot Building
    5) Ford Building
    6) Stott Tower

He's shown them at The Henry Ford... and also at The Max [[Orchestra Hall)...
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=550006

Some of his other masterpieces [[I especially love the Main Public Library)...
    http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/8777

What cracks me up is that a few years ago people [[not here) were deriding me for playing with toys... a toy which is now the worlds largest Toy Corporation [[The LEGO Group).... HQed in Billund Denmark, and still family owned [[worth about $15-$20 billion).

There are now 1/2 million Adult Fans of LEGO world wide... and just among adults it's a $ billion + hobby... with some sets containing thousands of pieces [[Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Star Wars Millenium Falcon).

John R between State Fair and 6 Mile...the John R Food Mart at 7 Mile...Highland Park's upscale candy stores on Danbury and Lantz...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What cracks me up is that a few years ago people [[not here) were deriding me for playing with toys... a toy which is now the worlds largest Toy Corporation [[The LEGO Group).... HQed in Billund Denmark, and still family owned [[worth about $15-$20 billion).

There are now 1/2 million Adult Fans of LEGO world wide... and just among adults it's a $ billion + hobby... with some sets containing thousands of pieces [[Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Star Wars Millenium Falcon).
    Ridiculous derision. Legos are the best toy ever IMHO because there is no limit to the imagination. More fun than simply assembling a kit is breaking them down once tired of them and making whatever fantasy creations the child [in all of us] are inspired to create.

Another notably missing icon from that list is the Fisher Building.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ridiculous derision. Legos are the best toy ever IMHO because there is no limit to the imagination. More fun than simply assembling a kit is breaking them down once tired of them and making whatever fantasy creations the child [in all of us] are inspired to create.

Another notably missing icon from that list is the Fisher Building.
    With kits running in excess of $400, it teaches the child to be a good consumer.

Tiger Stadium
    Olympia Arena
    Book Cadillac
    James Scott Memorial Fountain

Robocop statue all day, son! Seriously, though, if we only get to vote for one of those 10 I'd have to go with the Spirit of Detroit. Wouldn't mind seeing its Joe Louis fist neighbor either

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTrap View Post
    John R between State Fair and 6 Mile...the John R Food Mart at 7 Mile...Highland Park's upscale candy stores on Danbury and Lantz...
    You better throw in Dutch Girl Donuts if you wanna build out that neck of the woods

First, here's some music:

While taking a picture of a mural at the Crowne Plaza, something hit me. Going 3-dimensional with LEGOS is key, yet, with enough time and resources [[like many varying sizes, colors, and shades) one can go mosaic on a huge level and recreate 2-D art. My proposal is to recreate a famous collection of Detroit art done in flat LEGOS-namely the Diego Rivera murals at the DIA.

Now, I don't have the time or resources, but given that more and more artists are flexing style, irony, and technique [[like the keen stuff in My Modern Methttp://www.mymodernmet.com/) over subject, substance, or feeling, maybe someone might be up to the task. It will more than likley be a huge undertaking that turns out huge in scale. One only need look at it like these Brixel projects. http://makebrixels.com/