Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 Pistons

Default 2015-16 Pistons

Being at home here in Henderson, Nevada, I eagerly read today's Las Vegas Review - Journal sport section when one of our local sports gurus gave his take on this year's NBA season. About the Pistons, he writes; "If the Pistons can really get it all together, avoid any lengthy injuries, and play their best ball, they have an excellent chance of reaching .500."

Oh, well.

Did you watch the game tonight? This team looked like a different beast. Went up big in the 3rd and didn't relinquish..

Oh my. With the Lions in collapse and Red Wings lackluster, tonight's game was refreshing. For those who didn't watch they knocked off the [60-22 last year] Atlanta Hawks on the road at the Hawk's home opener. And it wasn't even close. New players and the top draft rookie Johnson were impressive. And, yes I know, it's just one game. Meet your new starting lineup.

This team has an opportunity to really surprise the league. I think they are still a year away from being considered a player in the Eastern Conference, but I fully expect them to contend for a playoff spot this year.

They will make a lot of youthful mistakes but this coaching staff has a proven record of developing young raw talent. The future is finally bright again for the Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Nice, that image is the definition of balanced scoring...

I was flipping between the Wings, Pistons and WS and quickly stuck with the Pistons. Drummond is a beast on the offensive glass and we may finally have a group who are willing to rebound hard to back up his efforts. Even though they shot poorly, I was very impressed with the way they passed and found the open man. They played like they'd been together for a couple of months. I thought Johnson played a little out of control, trying to do too much his first game.

Liked what I saw last night, but they are a very young team, and they're likely to be very inconsistent. You'll likely see times where they put up a great performance like last night, then go out and lose by 25 points the next game.

Van Gundy seems to know what he's doing to both improve the talent and the chemistry, a combo that Joe D was not able to put together once the championship team started to break apart. If Van Gundy can keep it going, I have not doubt they'll continue on an upward trajectory.

Another strong showing last night. You have to like the talent level compared to the past 6-7 years.

If Andre [Double-Double] Drummond can shoot free throws the rest of the season like he has the first two games we are on our way.

Tough game tomorrow night, my before season prediction was 39-43 but they could do better

Getting those 1st 2 games was huge for their psyche, knowing they can gut out a win if they shoot poor but play hard and because they have a tough schedule with 10 of 15 on the road to start the season.

Marcus Morris looks like a good pickup thus far, and Stanley Johnson is a stud in the making. They possibly made the correct choice, picking him over Justice Winslow, who's going to be good in his own right. Reggie Jackson is the only question mark I have. SVG has gave him the keys, but can he develop into the good decision making PG they've needed since Chauncey Billups?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Marcus Morris looks like a good pickup thus far, and Stanley Johnson is a stud in the making. They possibly made the correct choice, picking him over Justice Winslow, who's going to be good in his own right. Reggie Jackson is the only question mark I have. SVG has gave him the keys, but can he develop into the good decision making PG they've needed since Chauncey Billups?
    I love how Morris and Illy are making a huge impact. It's really nice how either of these guys can pop a three, it helps space the court and avoid non-watchable basketball like the last few years with Drummond and Monroe.

In the Atlanta game, Morris hits a three and comes right down on the other end and blocks Millsap on a drive around the hoop. I like his game...

Agree on Marcus. It's as if the Pistons have a Gregg Monroe who can shoot 3's. Looking up Monroe's stats he he is 0-7 for career 3's. I like this starting five but still have a questions about their second line.

Also on Morris, his Brother Markieff on Phoenix, is widely considered the better 3pt shooter and player of the two, but looks like Marcus has worked on his 3 pt shooting which should help open up the middle for Drummond. Just looking at both of them, I can't tell them apart being identical twins.

3-0 with wins over Atlanta and Chicago! How bout that?

How bout it!

If you liked Morris after 2 games, you must love him after 3. Don't know how a team can shoot that bad and be 3-0 against over .500 teams. Talk about winning ugly. I'm still not sold on Caldwell-Pope as a starting two. He plays good defense but his shooting is very inconsistent. Would love to see the Pistons go after Demar DeRozan in the off-season. Raptors have already said they will let him go to free agency.

Anybody else catch the Pistons game in Portland last night? Pretty amazing. Down as much as 18 and entering the 4th down 13 they end winning by 17.

I was flipping back and forth between the world poker finals and watching it with a lazy eye because the Pistons were getting drubbed.

After that it was like a tornado. At one point the Pistons went on a 20-0 spurt. And Andre Drummond now leads all active players in 25/25 games getting his third with 29 pts. and 27 rebounds. Reggie Jackson scored 40 with 26 in the 4th. What a finish.

Pistons playing shockingly well on the usually deadly west coast swing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Pistons playing shockingly well on the usually deadly west coast swing.
    Yes they have !! They have a tough B-T-B vs the NBA Champs tonight however. Drummond has been dominant, he's the only other center to average 20 pts and 20 boards in his 1st 6 games since Wilt the Stilt did it in 1970, pretty select company. If they go 4-2 on this trip, that would be phenomenal, as they go to Sacramento, the Clippers and the Lakers after tonight.

Didn't watch the game last night, West coast games are just too late for me nowadays, but heard that it was a good game. While they lost, sounds like they were right with them for the first three quarters, and that Stanley Johnson looked great. This team has a lot going for them. The Lakers are awful this year, so hopefully that's a win, which would be at least 3-3, which I'd consider a success for any West coast road trip. If they could win one of the others as well, that'd be aces.

Team looks pretty solid. As I've said before, being so young they're definitely going to hit some rough stretches. It'd be nice to seem them carry on this stretch for awhile and continue building some buzz.

Brandon Jennings coming back healthy would be huge for this team, with him and Johnson coming off the bench running fast breaks. I've noticed the Pistons, despite drawing very poorly early in the season, are trying to keep ticket prices closer to face value this year. Last year you could buy tickets on Stubhub for about a third of their face value.

Whoa! Anyone else just catch the Piston ~4 Overtimes~ win against the Bulls in Chicago? I'm getting to like this team more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Whoa! Anyone else just catch the Piston ~4 Overtimes~ win against the Bulls in Chicago? I'm getting to like this team more and more.
    Yes !! The Pistons are growing on me also. All they need to do is add better depth to the bench. The starters are playing too many minutes. Hopefully, they can do that by the trade deadline. SVG is doing a great job bringing them along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast