Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Body found along Dequindre Cut

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    A homicide yet. A wrongful death.

As much as I want to believe that things are gettin' better...

That hook from Public Enemy's "Don't believe the Hype" keeps running thru my head.

I would love to bike that path but I would have my bear spray and most likely packing if I did.

I'm an old fart now but in my youth I was bike jacked twice, attempted at least and robbed at knife point in front of middle school. But the killing going on? WTF

A white boy 20 something enticed by the lure of drugs or the newspaper articles lauding the cool factor of the Dequindre Cut?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; October-26-15 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    A homicide yet. A wrongful death.

As much as I want to believe that things are gettin' better...

That hook from Public Enemy's "Don't believe the Hype" keeps running thru my head.

I would love to bike that path but I would have my bear spray and most likely packing if I did.

I'm an old fart now but in my youth I was bike jacked twice, attempted at least and robbed at knife point in front of middle school. But the killing going on? WTF

A white boy 20 something enticed by the lure of drugs or the newspaper articles lauding the cool factor of the Dequindre Cut?
    I was @ a party once and a rep from the Conservancy was touting the joys of the Cut. I told her I felt it was too desolate and had no plans to go there, especially alone. She told me not to worry, the Cut was monitored by cameras. I hope it is, I hope they find and hang the perp that did this. I too want to believe that we've turned the corner and are heading towards a new day. This is a horrid reminder that we still have a ways to go. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Then you're just better off not going. I bike the Cut at least weekly, I'd rather not have to deal with nervous people with itchy trigger fingers. The cut has since open since 2009 this is the first incident that I've ever heard taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Then you're just better off not going. I bike the Cut at least weekly, I'd rather not have to deal with nervous people with itchy trigger fingers. The cut has since open since 2009 this is the first incident that I've ever heard taking place.
    You're more than probably right. It's bad enough dealing with the four footed kind that come out of no where and snap at your legs or get under your tires.

Question, incident or murder? Incident implies all kinds of things.

"I'd rather not have to deal with nervous people with itchy trigger fingers."

Law abiding types or criminals?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; October-26-15 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I was @ a party once and a rep from the Conservancy was touting the joys of the Cut. I told her I felt it was too desolate and had no plans to go there, especially alone. She told me not to worry, the Cut was monitored by cameras..
    That's great to hear, nothing makes one feel safer than a camera documenting their assault or murder.

All kidding aside, I think the Dequindre Cut is definitely safer than cycling the open streets in the city as traffic is a far bigger concern to me than being mugged or assaulted. The Cut also makes those that may be up to no good stick out a bit more, so if you notice anything that appears off just turn around and ride the other way.

How do we know it wasn't someone who overdosed on heroin or another drug du jour?

There also appears to be a homicide in Royal Oak this morning, the second in two weeks. Crime can happen in the "safest" of places.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    How do we know it wasn't someone who overdosed on heroin or another drug du jour?
    Good call. The wind probably blew his body into the wooded area and everything out of his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    There also appears to be a homicide in Royal Oak this morning, the second in two weeks. Crime can happen in the "safest" of places.
    Where is this claimed Royal Oak homicide? No note of it in the local papers.

There has been one homicide in Royal Oak this year, and I don't think anyone would claim that Royal Oak is among the safest places in the region. It's pretty average, overall, not Highland Park and not Oakland Twp. Royal Oak is right on Woodward and 696, which draw crime, has some crime hotspots [[downtown and seedy motels) and is fairly close to high crime cities like Detroit, Royal Oak Twp. and Oak Park.

Also, the reflexive defense mechanism of "feverishly find some crime in the suburbs whenever a crime happens in Detroit, just so it evens out" is all you need to know. Detroit is dangerous, and everyone knows it, even the boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Where is this claimed Royal Oak homicide? No note of it in the local papers.

There has been one homicide in Royal Oak this year, and I don't think anyone would claim that Royal Oak is among the safest places in the region. It's pretty average, overall, not Highland Park and not Oakland Twp.

Also, the reflexive defense mechanism of "feverishly find some crime in the suburbs whenever a crime happens in Detroit, just so it evens out" is all you need to know. Detroit is dangerous, and everyone knows it, even the boosters.
    GIYF [[Maybe you should join the 21st century and start getting the latest news from more up date resources like on line media outlets, not the newspaper)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...ation/36047158

I wasn't speaking about Detroit overall, just the Dequindre Cut which is being touted as safe.

GIYF [[Maybe you should join the 21st century and start getting the latest news from more up date resources like on line media outlets, not the newspaper)
    Oh, boy, someone's getting desperate. Tell us more about this "online" thing. And yeah, you're still wrong.

The media all reported the shooting last night, but they just reported the death minutes ago, long after you claimed that there was a homicide. Your own link shows this. So you're either an insider working at Beaumont or a liar, because nothing was updated to homicide until minutes ago.

I wasn't speaking about Detroit overall, just the Dequindre Cut which is being touted as safe.
    Last I checked the Dequindre Cut is in Detroit, and not protected by special magical powers. If Detroit is unsafe, then the public infrastructure within Detroit is unsafe.

When I first heard about the Dequindre Cut, my first concern was that it was too secluded to be particularly safe - it has little natural surveillance due to its sunken location in less traveled areas of the city. I have been pleasantly surprised that it has seemed relatively without incident to date, and hope it soon returns to that status.

They rolled their SWAT team too.

Here is the actual data for Royal Oak. Given that Detroit has around 10x the population of RO, it appears that you are roughly 20-30 times as likely to be killed in Detroit as in Royal Oak.

2005- 1
    2006- 0
    2007- 1
    2008- 0
    2009- 0
    2010- 1
    2011- 2
    2012- 0
    2013- 0
    2014- 1

And Royal Oak is hardly known as a particularly safe community. The type of people who are paranoid about crime and want to keep their kids ultra-cocooned are definitely not living in those South Woodward communities, which do have some degree of crime. 13 Mile off Woodward, in particular, is known as a problem area, with drugs and other vice [[in those cheap apartments near Beaumont, on the east side of Woodward).
    Last edited by Bham1982; October-26-15 at 10:28 AM.

What it homicide, an accident, natural causes and someone coming along discovered the body and scavaged it's belongings, was the body dumped there

Oh, boy, someone's getting desperate. Tell us more about this "online" thing. And yeah, you're still wrong.

The media all reported the shooting last night, but they just reported the death minutes ago, long after you claimed that there was a homicide. Your own link shows this. So you're either an insider working at Beaumont or a liar, because nothing was updated to homicide until minutes ago.

Last I checked the Dequindre Cut is in Detroit, and not protected by special magical powers. If Detroit is unsafe, then the public infrastructure within Detroit is unsafe.

I do appreciate your aggressive tone. It shows your best. I read it as he had already died. He is now dead. It now stands that there has been two murders in Royal Oak in two weeks. There has been one murder in 6 years in the Dequindre Cut.

Yes the DC is in Detroit, but it has cameras and I believe emergency call stations which make seem like it's safer than biking around any other part of Detroit, where cameras and readily available call stations are scarce.

Sorry everyone for bringing up Royal Oak! Didn't realize Bham would rear his ugly head, though I should know better.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; October-26-15 at 10:37 AM.

It now stands that there has been two murders in Royal Oak in two weeks. There has been one murder in 6 years in the Dequindre Cut.
    Let's compare apples to apples, shall we? There have been 2 murders in RO in 3 years, how many murders have there been in Detroit in 3 years? What percentage of those have been actually solved? I'm glad there has only been "one" murder in the DC, and not more. I also question, with all the cameras and call boxes, why no one saw what was happening, and why the person's body was "discovered".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Let's compare apples to apples, shall we? There have been 2 murders in RO in 3 years, how many murders have there been in Detroit in 3 years? What percentage of those have been actually solved? I'm glad there has only been "one" murder in the DC, and not more. I also question, with all the cameras and call boxes, why no one saw what was happening, and why the person's body was "discovered".
    This is true. I guess I was trying to compare relatively safe place to other relatively safe places.

I'm sorry but I see no personal safety in cameras or call boxes.

Are they a deterrent? If they are would you bet your life on them? At best they are there after the fact.

Even as a deterrent they can be overcome quite easily. Just do the dirty deed where they ain't and wear your hoodie of choice.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; October-26-15 at 11:05 AM.

This is true. I guess I was trying to compare relatively safe place to other relatively safe places.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Detroit, this is bothering me to no end, on multiple levels. I'm really sorry this happened, no matter if it was self-inflicted or perpetrated. Detroit is a fun town, but you have to keep vigilant of your surroundings.​I hope one day we get past that.

Crime in Detroit is not distributed equally, some parts of Detroit are safer than others suggest that they're aren't safe parts of the city is silly.

Are they a deterrent? If they are would you bet your life on them? At best they are there after the fact.

Even as a deterrent they can be overcome quite easily. Just do the dirty deed where they ain't and wear your hoodie of choice.
    They are red with a blue light and located every 100-200 feet in the cut. They may be tough to spot if you are just driving by and haven't actually been down there though...

They also aren't for people as they are getting assaulted, they are for people who feel threatened or see something.

As far as a deterrent the Cut is a sunken area that people can't often see from the main roads yet this is the first incident that has happened in six years. I would day the security boxes and security have done a fine job of keeping the area safe. As someone who uses the cut 5-6 times a week I can attest to feeling safe there and never once thinking that I am in danger. Believe it or not there are lots of older people that use it as well without any indication that they are packing bear mace.

Cameras are tools to assist Law Enforcement. In no way should they replace human officers but I believe those human officers do deserve the best tools and technology to assist in doing their jobs more effectively.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast