Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Bar Is This?

Picture is of the band The Runaways, taken at a Detroit bar after they opened for Rush at Cobo in 1977. [[L-R) Cherie Currie, Jackie Fox, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, and Sandy West. Can anyone tell what bar this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Picture is of the band The Runaways, taken at a Detroit bar after they opened for Rush at Cobo in 1977. [[L-R) Cherie Currie, Jackie Fox, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, and Sandy West. Can anyone tell what bar this is?
    The whiskey and cigarette diet does wonders for one's figure

It’s the Red Carpet Lounge on 16427 E. Warren near Outer Drive. Bands like the Romantics played there in the 70's. They always had that tacky looking red interior.

Default And The Winner Is

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    It’s the Red Carpet Lounge on 16427 E. Warren near Outer Drive. Bands like the Romantics played there in the 70's. They always had that tacky looking red interior.
    Wow A+ Cass Tech Grad, I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer the question - let alone answer it right away.
    The pic is cool as well, I didn't even recognize Joan Jett

Default Lita Ford, 4th from the left

Even more difficult to recognize in Lita Ford, 4th from the left. She had a successful solo career in the 1980’s. I have the “Lita Ford - The Complete Video Collection” DVD which includes her performing “Kiss Me Deadly” live in 1989. This video alone is worth the price of the DVD. With the direction of music today, it has something that we might never see again: A beautiful tall blond with a great figure wearing tight spandex pants playing a rock-&-roll guitar. The YouTube video is a very, very, very poor copy. Get the DVD!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VTwsiVH4c

Name:  lita-2.png
Views: 2308
Size:  262.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The nautical picture on the wall had me thinking someplace on the river. Someone said Golden Gallion.

I used to deliver bar supplies in Detroit and this was one of my stops. I was wondering, there was another bar just down the street from the Red Carpet Lounge on Warren Ave. and for the life of me, I can't remember the name but it had a big half round canopy that extended out from the front door. Any ideas?

Here's a pic that seems to bear out that it's the Red Carpet; same ugly wallpaper.

From Queens of Noise by Evelyn McDonnell:

At Cobo Hall they [[Rush) denied their lablemates a soundcheck. When Currie tripped on stage, they laughed..."The audience for Rush's music was not the audience for us," Fox says. "They were the least receptive audience we ever played to. People were booing."

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The whiskey and cigarette diet does wonders for one's figure
    So does being 18 or 19. Most of them were born in 1958 or '59.

Mediterrain Lounge?
    Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    I used to deliver bar supplies in Detroit and this was one of my stops. I was wondering, there was another bar just down the street from the Red Carpet Lounge on Warren Ave. and for the life of me, I can't remember the name but it had a big half round canopy that extended out from the front door. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    It's been a long time, but maybe B'Stilla? Mediterranean was on the other side of Warren, B'Stilla was on the same side.

b'Stilla or Cals Pizza a block further
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    It's been a long time, but maybe B'Stilla? Mediterranean was on the other side of Warren, B'Stilla was on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    So does being 18 or 19. Most of them were born in 1958 or '59.
    You got me there

Might not be the Red Carpet, which is what I believed, as soon as I saw it. Just looked at an acquaintance's photo that was taken at the Red Carpet, and the wallpaper, although similar, is not the same. I do not remember ever being in the Golden Galleon, which was mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by Bobl; October-28-15 at 09:21 AM.

I didn't bother posting since it was quickly identified as the Red Carpet Lounge. But now that that's come into question, I wonder if it isn't the restaurant that used to be in the basement of the Bankers Trust Company Building at Congress and Shelby downtown? I think the name of the restaurant was Pilot House and, if memory serves me correctly, it had a nautical theme. It's just a couple of blocks from Cobo, so that would be a likely place to hang out after a gig.

Bankers Trust is a gorgeous building, and HISTORICDETROIT.org has a nice write up on it, but no mention of the restaurant in the basement.
    http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...pany-building/

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    The girls had shorter hair than the guys.

Bar at the Whittier on Jefferson.....

A friend who knows of such things says it was the Golden Galleon, when they played at Cobo nearby.

Where exactly was the Golden Galleon?

Third Street south of Fort, right behind Fort Street Presbyterian Church. It's now known as Tommy's Bar & Grill.

The Golden Galleon also had a nautical theme, but my fuzzy memory of its bar is that it would have been open to the street windows on the right side. That painting behind the bar looks familiar to me, so I guess I might have seen it at either bar.
    Last edited by downtownguy; November-09-15 at 12:29 PM.