Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Live Jazz bars.

Default Live Jazz bars.

Does anyone remember the Jazz bars in the early to mid 60's in Detroit. I can't remember the name of the streets they were on. You could see live performances by famous Jazz artists, including the Ramsey Lewis Trio, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington. It was a mixed crowd and never any problems. Not expensive either for the well known artists that they were. Does anyone remember Jack Brokenshaw and the "Australian Jazz Quintet" He also had a restaurant. I had dinner there one time, and never forget the Kangaroo Tail Soup. It was actually very good.

Bakers Keyboard Lounge, on Livernois, is the first to come to mind.

I just did some work for RJ Spangler he is in jazz hall of fame.

The club that had the great ones including Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Theo Monk, Maynard Ferguson and Miles Davis was the Minor Key at 11541 Dexter Detroit.

The club was open for only a few years. It was of course very smokey.

Great place to see the best in an intimate atmosphere.

The link below has all their concert artists and dates.

http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/minor-key

The Minor Key was the one I couldn't remember the name of. Thanks! Saw some great artists there.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The club that had the great ones including Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Theo Monk, Maynard Ferguson and Miles Davis was the Minor Key at 11541 Dexter Detroit.

The club was open for only a few years. It was of course very smokey.

Great place to see the best in an intimate atmosphere.

The link below has all their concert artists and dates.

http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/minor-key
    Great link, Thanx.

Seeing the name Honky Tonk reminds of a bar on Michigan Ave in Dearborn by the name of "Tonky Honk Saloon". I used to go there often when I worked at the Ford Rouge plant. I had a employee softball team and Tonky Honk sponsored us. A fun place and good food too! This was between 1964 & 1968. Anyone remember it?